Wissam's Christmas Modelling Marathon

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Wissam's Christmas Modelling Marathon

Post by Wissam24 »

Oh! I didn't think it would work well going over the gloss
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Wissam24 wrote:Oh! I didn't think it would work well going over the gloss

Build - paint - gloss - decals - matt. Personally I weather after that, because it gives the weathering that slightly different finish (even more matt usually for things like exhaust and dirt, though fuel/oil stains more shiny) rather than it all being blended into the paint finish. Everybody will have their own routine that works for them though.

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

Agree with FarnboroJohn, although I also add another gloss coat after the decals to settle any silvering of the decal edges. I have had problems with Matt making the decals look silvery when applied directly onto the decals, not all the time but I do the extra Gloss coat regularly these days to avoid trouble.

Build-Paint-Gloss-Decals-Gloss-Matt.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

*Some* painting should also be done during the build phase.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:*Some* painting should also be done during the build phase.

As I have begun to learn haha
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Quick update. The black step area was prayed over a coat of matt varnish which has given a great texture

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Right, I finished the Su-7. A lot went wrong here. Essentially the underside is ruined - I used all the wrong technieus and materials for panel lining it and it's just ruined. However, I switched Alclad Klear Cote and Tamiya enamel panel line accent and the top came out much better ie not a scraped off mess. I'm not totally satisfied with this model. The metal effect needs work on future models and to be honest it looks just more...grimy and dirty than weathered grimy and dirty. Oh well. And yes, I know the pitot tube is on at a weird angle :p

Next up is Su-9 in some kind of camouflage with UN markings