Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6 Updated 6 May

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6 Updated 6 May

Post by Blackbird »

Having made a start, I've come across my first issue.
ImageIMG_0822 by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

The tailpipes both have that bit of plastic across the pipe. Should I remove it, or is it supposed to be a part of the kit? I've searched through loads of photos but unsurprisingly none show the rear end! It doesn't look like it should be there, but it seems quite deliberate. It wasn't anything to do with the the way it was fixed to the spruce.

Help would be appreciated please. I'm sure this won't be my last before it's finished :oops: !

TIA
Andy :smile:
Last edited by Blackbird on Wed 06 May 2020, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

DerekF

Re: Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6

Post by DerekF »

Yes, that needs to be removed. It's part of the moulding process.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6

Post by Blackbird »

Many thanks - onwards and hopefully upwards!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6 Updated 6 May

Post by Blackbird »

I realise you must be on tenterhooks waiting for this, some 6 weeks into lockdown, but here's the state of play this morning:
ImageIMG_0943 by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr
As has been mentioned, trying to get the fuselage to close around the cockpit was virtually impossible. That gave me my first attempt as using some filler. I think it needs a second go, but I was wary of "overfilling" it.
ImageIMG_0944 by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

This was OK except that the undercarriage was fiddly in the extreme to put it politely. The good news is that I seem to have managed to ram enough BluTack into the nose area to get it to stand on the undercarriage.

And finally, the helpful chap in the hobby shop recommended this can of paint for a natural metal finish.
ImageIMG_0945 by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Any tips on how best to use it and whether it's any good? Please remember that I've not made a model for 25-30 years and have never spray-painted anything - except the garden fence and only once at that :oops: .

TIA

TrevorT

Post by TrevorT »

Hi Andy. I had the same problems with fuselage fit on the Airfix Lighting F2A. I filed down the intake trunking by probably a couple of mm each side to make it fit.
Cheers
Trevor

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks Trevor.

This has been overtaken by the disaster I’ve had with the above- mentioned spray paint. I posted a “help” topic a couple of days ago.

Andy