Airfix in Notcutts garden centres

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
keithjs

Airfix in Notcutts garden centres

Post by keithjs »

Noticed these in our local Notcutts yesterday. Reasonable selection along with Humbrol paints, glues and fillers etc.
I assume they're in the other ones throughout the country too?
Nothing I particularly wanted but stocked up on some Humbrol while I was there.
...Rad shutters auto.

NAM Updater

Re: Airfix in Notcutts garden centres

Post by NAM Updater »

Great that people can purchase 'essential' kits at the garden centre when the regular models shops have to remain closed to comply with Covid Regulations - not bitter really, just struggling to keep a registered charity going! :angry:

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Museum-Shop
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
http://newarkairmuseum.org

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

NAM Updater wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021, 5:18 pm
Great that people can purchase 'essential' kits at the garden centre when the regular models shops have to remain closed to comply with Covid Regulations - not bitter really, just struggling to keep a registered charity going! :angry:

Yes I totally agree! Everything is so inconsistent. Take another garden centre locally for instance. They have a Works in there, shut, but you can go to WH Smiths.. They also have an Edinburgh Woollen Mill in there, shut, but right next door in the same garden centre is an outlet for Regatta clothing trading quite happily...How come??
Don't say its different companies policies because that's not a good enough answer if your selling the same thing.
...Rad shutters auto.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

keithjs wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021, 9:09 pm
NAM Updater wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021, 5:18 pm

Yes I totally agree! Everything is so inconsistent. Take another garden centre locally for instance. They have a Works in there, shut, but you can go to WH Smiths.. They also have an Edinburgh Woollen Mill in there, shut, but right next door in the same garden centre is an outlet for Regatta clothing trading quite happily...How come??
Don't say its different companies policies because that's not a good enough answer if your selling the same thing.
Is it anything to do with the Edinburgh Woollen Mill going into administration, or have they been bought out now?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

You could well have a point there but they have a notice on the entrance saying about them being closed due to current government restrictions..
...Rad shutters auto.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

howard, have you ever thought about putting what you have at the museum at the moment. That way we may see something we thought we didnt need but do now. I will gladly as you know support you all the way.
Those aren't pillows!!!!

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

AndyXH558 wrote:
Mon 15 Feb 2021, 12:11 pm
howard, have you ever thought about putting what you have at the museum at the moment. That way we may see something we thought we didnt need but do now. I will gladly as you know support you all the way.
Yes indeed, no telling what little goodies you have hidden away there...
...Rad shutters auto.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

In the November 2020 lockdown we did a Call & Collect option that was moderately successful and was permitted within the legislation.

We opted not to do that for the current lockdown as travel was being discouraged; we did have a dabble at mail order at the end of January but that was not taken up very much.

My frustration comes from helping with the site security checks and risking being stopped, yet driving past at least 3 garden centres that seem to be trading normally. Whilst I appreciate gardening can be therapeutic I cannot see the real benefit when there's snow on the ground and the people have risked travelling there in bad conditions! Personal rant over for today!!

The museum will continue but it would be nice to operate on a level playing field!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
http://newarkairmuseum.org

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I'm slightly surprised by this. A visit to a museum is very definitely not essential travel but a garden centre visit might be. It depends what you buy.
I would suggest however that modelling supplies are not essential. Garden centres should not selling them and people shouldn't be buying either.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

DerekF wrote:
Mon 15 Feb 2021, 5:24 pm
I'm slightly surprised by this. A visit to a museum is very definitely not essential travel but a garden centre visit might be. It depends what you buy.
I would suggest however that modelling supplies are not essential. Garden centres should not selling them and people shouldn't be buying either.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Just take a look inside every supermarket and have a good wander around, the sheer amount of non-essential cr@p on sale is unbelievable.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

That's what I've been saying all along. Everything is so inconsistent! You can understand why smaller independent shops are angry about big supermarkets (and garden centres) selling things that they're not allowed to, simply because they're no allowed to open their doors. Our local ASDA has a massive toy department but the little toy shop in the town has to stay shut!
It drives me to despair, it really does. On the first 'original' lockdown, garden centres weren't allowed to open anyway, so how come the rules have changed when the situation is pretty much identical?
...Rad shutters auto.