Sqn Ldr David Thomas

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
SilentFlight

Sqn Ldr David Thomas

Post by SilentFlight »

It has been announced that sadly David passed away yesterday.

Many will remember him from his days as XH558's display pilot in both RAF service and being instrumental in her return in to flight in civilian hands. Whether it was flying 558 or ground taxing the other Vulcan's, David was well known and normally had a beaming smile when getting out of whichever aircraft he was in. Many air cadets also took to the air with David at 7 AEF in the Tutor, getting their first experience of flight, with one of the RAF's most experienced instructors. David continued his airshow work as one of the display coordinators for RAF Waddington's airshow before fully retiring. He was one of the nicest, most professional people you could wish to work with, keen to support others and take each challenge in his stride. He will certainly be missed.

Blue Skies.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Sqn Ldr David Thomas

Post by Tommy »

That’s sad news 😞

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Blue Skies David

Met you once and watched your work with 558 (well probably a joy for you actually) on the display circuit.
Got to love Russianhardware

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

Sad news.
Had the pleasure of meeting him once, and he came across as a really nice gentleman and very well liked by those around him.

Will raise a glass in his memory this evening.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

So very sad to read of this.
I first met him during my time working with CFS at Scampton. He was a true gentleman, never fazed, cheerful and always had time to talk with every groundcrew member he met. I had the good fortune to meet him again within Ops at RAF Waddington, often daily. Final memories were a pleasure, assisting in the Logistics and Engineering management of the Waddington Airshow format, where we liaised, and his outstanding experience and knowledge greatly aided the success of the event. A real loss to the RAF and civilian community.
Canon systems

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Such sad news, I met him several times over the years, an absolute gentleman my thoughts are with his family and mates at this very sad time. He always had a huge smile on his face every time he climbed out of a Vulcan either 558 or a ground runner, a man who loved what he did and was always happy to share that with anyone.

Post by 106500 »

Met him a few times, great bloke, one special moment was at Wellesbourne, I was standing by him when he surprised the crowd at an XM655 fast taxi by telling them 558 would be doing an impromptu mini display in a matter of minutes - can I tell ‘em now he said! What a bonus! RIP David.

davski

Post by davski »

Sad news indeed. Never met him but loved his displays in the Vulcan in the 90's.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

How sad. A very entertaining speaker and a genuinely nice guy.

DeltaPapa

Post by DeltaPapa »

Thank you all for the condolences.

My loss has been made much easier to bear knowing how well David was thought of by both his peers and the public. He has left great void in my life.

Pam

Post by 106500 »

It is a sobering fact that all three crewmen from that wonderful and triumphant day in October 2007 when XH558 returned to flight are sadly no longer with us. Those of us that marvelled at the ensuing years of Vulcan flight owe a debt of gratitude to each of these exceptional individuals.

XP282

Post by XP282 »

I am very sad to hear of the passing of Sqn ldr David Thomas. David was perhaps best known as the Vulcan Display pilot, but to me he was an inspiration and a mentor in my early years. With the exception of my Dad, I don’t think any other person offered me the help, support and guidance that David offered me. Although I haven’t seen him in a very long time, his influence upon me has always been there. He was a true gentleman and gave me many amazing experiences…. Fast taxi rides in the Vulcan and Victor, flights in the Jetstream & Jet Provost. But it was his time on the ground, his words of wisdom that I am most greatful for.

Pam, I dont know if David ever ever realised just how much of a guiding light he was to me, but I certainly hope he knew. I am truly saddened at the news of his passing. I'm sending you love and my deepest sympathy.

David...RIP Sir.

Mark