633 Squadron Mosquito FB24

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
FarnboroJohn

633 Squadron Mosquito FB24

Post by FarnboroJohn »

A while ago Chris Strawson asked which model we would save from the house if it was burning and my answer was an old 1:72 Mosquito done as one might have appeared if 633 Squadron took part in Op GRANBY – as the last of my youthful stories to entertain my friends imagined they (we) had. That started a train of thought, so while I was gnawing my lip over the e-bay price of a Classic Aircraft 1:48 Fairey Battle 1 for my 633 Squadron “history” project working from both the RAF Museum’s page on the subject and the late F E Smith’s works, I bought:

Tamiya Mosquito FB VI (awesome kit for shape, detail and fit: I am a complete convert)
Montex Cockpit masks MXK48174 (NB these turned out to be not very sticky)
Brengun Two-stage two-speed supercharged Merlins (good fit and excellent shape)
Master 0.303 Browning Mk II barrels (peerless)
Eduard Brassin Hellfire set: eight missiles, two quadruple launchers (uppers usable as two doubles, leaving me to scratchbuild two more)
Ultracast 100 Gallon Drop Tanks 48118 and standard Mosquito wheels (Beautifully detailed, convincing resin castings)

I then set off to reproduce my own Mosquito FB24 from 1991. The Mosquito FB24 was one of those projects that went nowhere, the Canadian marriage of the eight-gun Mosquito to two-stage Merlins (two built). Britain’s equivalent was the FBX (unbuilt) and Australia’s the FB42 (one built).

Visible upgrades from WWII to 1991 include RHWR, Hellfires under the wings with a designator in the port underwing tank. Under the worn desert pink camouflage Cold War wraparound green/grey shows through in places. With a very unfamiliar silhouette to the Coalition I added the triple white stripes worn by helicopters for recognition. The results are shown below.

Next up will be that Fairey Battle, Battle of France, May 1940.

Image20210305 (19)_633_Squadron_Mosquito_FB24 by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210305 (20)_633_Squadron_Mosquito_FB24 by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210305 (22)_633_Squadron_Mosquito_FB24 by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210305 (27)_633_Squadron_Mosquito_FB24 by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210305 (31)_633_Squadron_Mosquito_FB24 by John Dixon, on Flickr

IATthenRIAT

Re: 633 Squadron Mosquito FB24

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Nicely done - I like the weathering.

FarnboroJohn

Re: 633 Squadron Mosquito FB24

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Cheers - I had a look at a lot of Gulf War pinkies before starting. I tried salt and it was OK but I think it would work better with fewer coats of paint over it, applied in a shorter timescale. A panel line wash into the tyre treads seemed good to me, very fine sandpaper used very lightly produced a good effect in a few areas and fuel stain wash plus pigments applied with both sponge and brush completed the dirtying up.