Clearprop 1/72 Lavochkin LA-5

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Seamus

Clearprop 1/72 Lavochkin LA-5

Post by Seamus »

Morning all,

The latest addition to my WW2 Russian theme is the Clearprop 1/72 LA-5. A nice enough little kit on the whole, the fit is a bit iffy in places, with the cockpit being a touch too wide, necessitating some trimming here and there, but on the whole not too bad. Strangely the pre-cut masks for the windshield did not have the same framing as the plastic part, and while there is a good amount of etch provided that offers a more finessed approach to areas such as the undercarriage doors, I elected to use the plastic parts provided for ease. Finished OOB using Hataka and Alclad paints as ever, with liquid mask used to represent the worn finish of the Winter white scheme- I had planned to use the hairspray method by applying Vallejo white over the top of the Hataka base colours, but did not get on with it at all... Overall, a tidy little addition to the display case, although my enthusiasm for these WW2 Russian types has probably peaked for now.

ImageClearprop 1/72 Lavochkin LA-5 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, hope it was of interest

Shaun
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

FarnboroJohn

Re: Clearprop 1/72 Lavochkin LA-5

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Superb finish again. I haven't tried liquid mask for anything - is it easy to work with? I've often wondered if it's a bit of a blunt instrument but this has some very delicate work on it.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

That's a very neat job indeed. Great looking machine too.

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Thanks chaps, much appreciated :)
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 19 Mar 2021, 9:15 am
Superb finish again. I haven't tried liquid mask for anything - is it easy to work with? I've often wondered if it's a bit of a blunt instrument but this has some very delicate work on it.
Yep, pretty straightforward. I simply apply with a piece of sponge to create the random effect then rub it away after painting. The hairspray technique is probably more controllable and realistic but the lacquers paints I use don't lend themselves to it, so liquid mask is my only choice really.
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Seamus wrote:
Sat 20 Mar 2021, 3:26 pm
Thanks chaps, much appreciated :)
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 19 Mar 2021, 9:15 am
Yep, pretty straightforward. I simply apply with a piece of sponge to create the random effect then rub it away after painting. The hairspray technique is probably more controllable and realistic but the lacquers paints I use don't lend themselves to it, so liquid mask is my only choice really.
TYVM!