RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
spellow3010

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by spellow3010 »

Certainly not a bad update - all fingers crossed for the snow cammo NH90. And bring patches... bring plenty of merch.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

verreli

Post by verreli »

Still 9 or 10 announcments to go with one being the USAF participation and another potentially the Black Eagles. Seems a bit light on national display teams for this stage so they'll likely come in the next few weeks too.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I probably would have been more excited if Germany wasn't already bringing an NH90 for flying however the Snow camo would be great. I'm not a huge Helicopter fan outside of a few, but they are hitting all the right buttons for them this year. Some very rare items. I just hope the Apache gets added.

I would say it's been anything but sketchy. Last week was absouletly fantastic and we've had a lot of cracking updates like the C130/Typhoon demo. Coming out on the other side of Covid, the support for RIAT has been fantastic and we still have at least 12 updates to go. (84 days)

Also with what's showing up as 'in discussion' there is the prospect for some great displays as well as those displays we all know about but haven't been confirmed as of yet.

Shows going to be just what we all need post-covid.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

spellow3010 wrote:
Thu 21 Apr 2022, 12:40 pm
Certainly not a bad update - all fingers crossed for the snow cammo NH90. And bring patches... bring plenty of merch.

Can't remember Finnish ever selling at shows or not in recent memory in the UK anyway. People have implied they aren't allowed to sell? The F/A-18 display pilot was giving patches away in 2019. So was the Finnish Midnight Hawk in FRIAT stand in 2018
Gary

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Loving these updates with helicopters, but you knew I would say that ;-)

Would love for a Tigre to turn up please :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

10 more Thursday's to go and its already looking like a classic, i can't wait for the show to start.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The civilian static aircraft announced today are
American General AG-5B Tiger Private Operator
Auster AOP6 Private Operator
Auster AOP9 Private Operator
Ikarus C42 (x3) AirBourne Aviation
Piper L-4H Grasshopper Private Operator
Piper PA-18 Super Cub Private Operator
Piper PA-28 Cherokee Flying Scholarships for Disabled People
Reims-Cessna FR172H AKS Aviation
Scottish Aviation Bulldog Mk.124 Private Operator
Slingsby T67M-260 Firefly Anglo Europe Aviation Limited

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Unfortunately no Finnish F/A-18 and French A-400M at RIAT this year. I wonder if the a400 test aircraft which attended a few times is still on the display circuit

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Evening Folks,
Andyph wrote:
Tue 19 Apr 2022, 8:54 pm
What chance the B-52's will have gone home and the U-2's flying less operational missions come July?
In other words what chance the airshow will go ahead with the war still happening?
The 69th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron have already gone home, after a successful Bomber Task Force deployment, which wasn't related to the situation in Ukraine. The 99th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron have been in residence at RAF Fairford since 2019 so we've had plenty of time to work with them to ensure we can deliver safe and effective aircraft operations for RIAT and they can do what they need to do. That's a long way of me saying, don't worry, unless the situation dramatically changes, there's no threat of USAF operations meaning RIAT won't go ahead.
JMC wrote:
Thu 21 Apr 2022, 11:16 am
Meh. But that's to be expected, some updates will trump others and vice versa :slight_smile:
One man's trash is another man's treasure. I think it's rather commendable that Lithuania are committing 20% of their entire inventory to an airshow, with one of their closest neighbors waging war. And it's the first time they've promised something other than a C-27J Spartan in a number of years, which we're rather pleased with.
Flightech wrote:
Thu 21 Apr 2022, 12:13 pm
Confirmations seem to have been very sketchy for last few weeks.
I repeat my above comment. I'll get the team working harder on those Iranian Tomcats and Venezuelan Flankers...
bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 21 Apr 2022, 4:35 pm
Unfortunately no Finnish F/A-18 and French A-400M at RIAT this year.
No, but we have a very welcome Hawk solo display from Finland, hopefully in a spectacularly colourful jet. But if you like Hornets, hopefully the Spanish & Swiss examples are satisfactory.

Lots of juicy aircraft in the pipeline, with the all the teams across DBH (and our awesome volunteer cadre) working hard to deliver the best possible event come July. 82 days until we take over the airfield and the first jets arrive......

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by RIAT Air Ops on Thu 21 Apr 2022, 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JMC

Post by JMC »

My comment wasn’t to detract from the hard work you’re doing or what most definitely is a coupe for the enthusiast. I was perhaps being a bit self centered in my own view that the aircraft themselves are not that much interest to me, so apologies for that. It’s easy to forget what goes on behind the scenes. But again, as you say a treasure to someone else!

Keep up the great job Peter!

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Thu 21 Apr 2022, 7:17 pm
Evening Folks,
Andyph wrote:
What chance the B-52's will have gone home and the U-2's flying less operational missions come July?
In other words what chance the airshow will go ahead with the war still happening?
The 69th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron have already gone home, after a successful Bomber Task Force deployment, which wasn't related to the situation in Ukraine. The 99th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron have been in residence at RAF Fairford since 2019 so we've had plenty of time to work with them to ensure we can deliver safe and effective aircraft operations for RIAT and they can do what they need to do. That's a long way of me saying, don't worry, unless the situation dramatically changes, there's not threat of USAF operations meaning RIAT won't go ahead.
JMC wrote:
Meh. But that's to be expected, some updates will trump others and vice versa :slight_smile:
One man's trash is another man's treasure. I think it's rather commendable that Lithuania are committing 20% of their entire inventory to an airshow, with one of their closest neighbors waging war. And it's the first time they've promised something other than a C-27J Spartan in a number of years, which we're rather pleased with.
Flightech wrote:
I repeat my above comment. I'll get the team working harder on those Iranian Tomcats and Venezuelan Flankers...
bobby 1211 wrote:
No, but we have a very welcome Hawk solo display from Finland, hopefully in a spectacularly colourful jet. But if you like Hornets, hopefully the Spanish & Swiss examples are satisfactory.

Lots of juicy aircraft in the pipeline, with the all the teams across DBH (and our awesome volunteer cadre) working hard to deliver the best possible event come July. 82 days until we take over the airfield and the first jets arrive......

Cheers,
Peter

Despite the circumstances, you're all doing a grand job so far. I appreciate your posts in this forum. Please do not take note of some of the things people say, we should all be grateful we have an airshow to look forward to this year. It's only April and we already have a fair mix of aircraft, also ongoing discussions with many other air arms.
Fast jet fanatic.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

The Spanish hornet is more than satisfactory 😀 Keep up the great work, I really appreciate the more detailed weekly updates and the fact you are active on the forum👍

verreli

Post by verreli »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
I'll get the team working harder on those Iranian Tomcats and Venezuelan Flankers...

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

verreli wrote:
Fri 22 Apr 2022, 6:29 am
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
I'll get the team working harder on those Iranian Tomcats and Venezuelan Flankers...
This one then (mods feel free to move to a more appropriate section should it be deemed necessary)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Nice feature on the RIAT website, under confirmed aircraft, if you click on the aircraft name it will tell you what days the aircraft is displaying.

Only seems to be Reds and BBMF Spitfire & Hurricane so far for Friday, but a neat feature.

JMC

Post by JMC »

I’m sure it’s been like that for years, especially in the app also?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Has it? I've never noticed before, not this far out anyway.

Never used the app though.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

JMC wrote:
Sat 23 Apr 2022, 6:18 pm
I’m sure it’s been like that for years, especially in the app also?
it has been, the website has always said whether they are flying, static and when they are flying

CJS

Post by CJS »

Quick FYI - I've just used the live chat on RIAT's website to sort out adding a child's ticket to my rolled over adult ticket and they were extremely quick and efficient. Any ticketing questions, I'd recommend that as a first port of call for sure.
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Evening Folks,
Andyph wrote:
The 69th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron have already gone home, after a successful Bomber Task Force deployment, which wasn't related to the situation in Ukraine. The 99th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron have been in residence at RAF Fairford since 2019 so we've had plenty of time to work with them to ensure we can deliver safe and effective aircraft operations for RIAT and they can do what they need to do. That's a long way of me saying, don't worry, unless the situation dramatically changes, there's no threat of USAF operations meaning RIAT won't go ahead.
JMC wrote:
Flightech wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:

Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter, if you see this.

This was probably a question I should have submitted to the FRIAT forum but I was just wondering how much control / atc has over asking the Helicopters to pass along the runway on departure, or is that simply too inefficient? I know a lot depart straight out.

Cheers!

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

According the latest (and very rare mailshot) Tickets for Friday and Sunday will be going up to their full value on Wednesday 4th May.

Friday £54 (Earlybird £44)
Sunday £62 (Earlybird £57)

JMC

Post by JMC »

Goodness me. Just seen a clip of the F35 demo taken 2 days ago. We're in for a treat 👌

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

JMC wrote:
Tue 26 Apr 2022, 3:42 pm
Goodness me. Just seen a clip of the F35 demo taken 2 days ago. We're in for a treat 👌

I must have missed the announcement of that participant then :thinking:

JMC

Post by JMC »

https://www.airforceheritageflight.org/schedule

Was going based on this and that it had already added to the F-35 demo calendar, along with the A-10 demo, which RIAT has been removed from both solo calendars, but remains on the heritage flight? And i'm also going based on previous years (and I know tires on the tarmac and all that) that it'd be very unlike the ACC to not show up once they have published the calendar.

But yes, you're right. I should've worded it better to 'if confirmed by DBH we're in for a treat'.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

JMC wrote:
Tue 26 Apr 2022, 5:20 pm
https://www.airforceheritageflight.org/schedule

Was going based on this and that it had already added to the F-35 demo calendar, along with the A-10 demo, which RIAT has been removed from both solo calendars,

RIAT was never on the solo demo calander for 2022 for either the F35 or A10. It has only appeared on the HF listings. On the solo calanders there has always been a gap for RIAT weekend.