RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
MiG_Eater

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by MiG_Eater »

JMC wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 12:31 pm
Considering the state of the world for the past two years, and military forces being on high alert, the fact a show is even going ahead is superb. As someone who had a few troubles the past couple years (and i’m certain others have too) i’ll be happy to just sit in the grass and watch anything.
Spot on.

I think this time last year I said something like "if I can turn up at RIAT and watch the Typhoon and the Red Arrows i'll be ecstatic"... I think this is slightly better than that!

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 12:33 pm
HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 12:22 pm
Highlight still the A-4 'scooter' by a long way, followed by the 727.

Lordy it seems a light show, and yes, i know i'll get 'maverick'd' for this, it just doesnt do anything for me.

Too many buzzy things, and for a 'comeback' show i was hoping for a lot better, but all it's done is given me plenty of loo breaks.
For example I am particularly not looking forward to seeing the Baby blue team, the Mustang X-ray team, RJF, the Silver Swallows, the PC-9M solo and the PC-7 team.
This is a comment I just don't understand....I'd just ask how many of those have you seen before? Or are you purely judging them negatively because those aircraft have a propeller on the front & not a jet engine on the back? Of course, not everything is for everybody...but to say you're "particularly not looking forward to seeing..." x,y & z seems harsh in the extreme based on those being either rare or 1st time appearances. You won't see many better national display teams than the Swiss PC-7 guys.

C'est la vie...

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Seems to be a troll about !

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Hoping next year is FIGHTER MEET theme, how long has it been since we have had that 😂👍, not a prop in sight then , joking aside, it is a fine comeback, all things considered (hoping star items don’t cancel)🤞,x2 updates to go!

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Bodz156 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 1:00 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 12:33 pm
HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 12:22 pm
Highlight still the A-4 'scooter' by a long way, followed by the 727.

Lordy it seems a light show, and yes, i know i'll get 'maverick'd' for this, it just doesnt do anything for me.

Too many buzzy things, and for a 'comeback' show i was hoping for a lot better, but all it's done is given me plenty of loo breaks.
For example I am particularly not looking forward to seeing the Baby blue team, the Mustang X-ray team, RJF, the Silver Swallows, the PC-9M solo and the PC-7 team.
This is a comment I just don't understand....I'd just ask how many of those have you seen before? Or are you purely judging them negatively because those aircraft have a propeller on the front & not a jet engine on the back? Of course, not everything is for everybody...but to say you're "particularly not looking forward to seeing..." x,y & z seems harsh in the extreme based on those being either rare or 1st time appearances. You won't see many better national display teams than the Swiss PC-7 guys.

C'est la vie...
I attend RIAT to see heavy aircraft and anything that has a jet engine + all aircraft on static ofc. Most demo teams and all prop aircraft are just not my thing (flying display wise). I just dont like them and nothing will change that. For me a new Mustang X-ray demo is just as interesting as a RAF tutor

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

I'm particularly looking forward to the Austrian Typhoon QRA. Seeing two Typhoons perform a display at the same time is something I've not encountered before and if it's anything like the old RAF Tornado Role Demo, it's going to be very noisy - just as I like it.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 1:11 pm
I attend RIAT to see heavy aircraft and anything that has a jet engine + all aircraft on static ofc. Most demo teams and all prop aircraft are just not my thing (flying display wise). I just dont like them and nothing will change that. For me a new Mustang X-ray demo is just as interesting as a RAF tutor
By the sounds of it you'd be better off spending the day at Heathrow...

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

cg_341 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 1:50 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 1:11 pm
By the sounds of it you'd be better off spending the day at Heathrow...
Oh no, I said I dont like prop aircraft because they bore me - how could I :persevere: I forgot that when you attend an airshow you have to enjoy everything.
In all seriousness your making me laugh with how *hurt* you are because I said I wont watch the prop displays. So what? I spent my money not yours. I think the other displays are worth it - otherwise I wouldn't go :laughing:

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Tbf you're the only person coming across as hurt in that exchange.

JW22

Post by JW22 »

duffspeed wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 1:21 pm
I'm particularly looking forward to the Austrian Typhoon QRA. Seeing two Typhoons perform a display at the same time is something I've not encountered before and if it's anything like the old RAF Tornado Role Demo, it's going to be very noisy - just as I like it.
Lucky enough to have seen it twice in Austria , I personally think it’s fantastic hopefully they still have the special tail one and send that 🙏

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Luke28 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 2:01 pm
Tbf you're the only person coming across as hurt in that exchange.
Why would I be hurt? From about March/April I said I am attending primarily becasue of the static display. I feel like most of you are big enthusiasts - while I am not. I dont need to see every type of aircraft, every display team, every serial number etc. I am happy for the rest of you that you get to see the Mustang X-ray, silver shallows and so on because I am sure its a star item for you, while for me its a time I can take photos of the static aircraft, talk to the crew or check out the shop stands.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

People forget so easily. There's stuff in that participation list that people have posted here begging for for years, but it's only good enough til the next update, then it's all forgotten because there's no Turkish Phantoms or too many propellers.

It's not the 80s/90s/early 2000s anymore.

This lineup is unrivalled by any other aviation event in the world this year. (Adding the "IMO" caveat of course).

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

G-CVIX wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 2:37 pm
People forget so easily. There's stuff in that participation list that people have posted here begging for for years, but it's only good enough til the next update, then it's all forgotten because there's no Turkish Phantoms or too many propellers.
Bang on that is.

JMC

Post by JMC »

A B-52 has been confirmed in the flying for the first time in donkeys years and and the thread has transitioned into 'i'm not interested because xyz...' how?!

CJS

Post by CJS »

JMC wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 2:51 pm
A B-52 has been confirmed in the flying for the first time in donkeys years and and the thread has transitioned into 'i'm not interested because xyz...' how?!
Because....Because...Because....nope, I've got nothing.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

CJS

Post by CJS »

[Joke filter]Just a thought, but given the time the B-52 takes to turn, its appearance in the flying display will hardly take any extra time:

Take off;
F-16 display while B-52 lines up for 1st pass;
1st pass;
Typhoon display while B-52 lines up for 2nd pass;
2nd pass;
Tutor display while B-52 lines up for landing;
B-52 lands.

You're welcome [joke filter/]
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

As ever, there’s more people moaning at the moaners than there are people saying they aren’t interested.

Some of the stuff said or implied about the props is complete and utter tosh, though. Turboprop displays/teams are outnumbered by the fast jets, bomber(!), and military helicopters.

People like what they like - there’s no problem saying that “X or Y isn’t for me”. But it’s weird, to me, to pull that out immediately after an update featuring something you *do* like (the B-52) is added.

I get it when an update lists a prop team for example. But when a massive jet is announced, and people still rant about the prop displays, it’s a bit odd.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

G-CVIX wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 2:37 pm

It's not the 80s/90s/early 2000s anymore.

This lineup is unrivalled by any other aviation event in the world this year. (Adding the "IMO" caveat of course).
This exactly. A Romanian An-30 is coming, still can't believe that....or the Portuguese Epsilons! 2x B-52s! :slight_smile: . The civilian list is really, really good this year, exceptional I'd say & most overlook that whole category most years....Sabre, SwAFHF trio, A4(!), 2x P-51s, P-47, B-17 & the 727 are all brilliant aircraft to be able to get up close to. Looking forward to the new/rare helicopters we'll see, & the Silver Swallows & that PC-12 which I think is a great way for RIAT to mark the IAC 100th. The 2 French PC-21s are entirely new to me but from a video I've seen they really go at a fair old pace. Not even mentioned the Black Eagles & the Frecce...the Belgian F-16 looks like a cracking demo this year & the Swiss & Spanish F-18s will be brilliant as usual I'm sure. Just crossing my fingers now for the weather to play ball this year!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Speaking of prop teams -

I was watching them in Denmark this weekend, and I totally get that Baby Blue aren’t everyone’s cup of tea (for what they are, they’re decent - they chuck the little things around!) but T-17s themselves are rare as hell, and one of the aircraft is in a heritage special scheme to look like the old Danish Chipmunks, which looks the mutt’s nuts.

Something to look forward to if that particular machine makes it over.

Above all else, they absolutely fit the theme of the show.

You might not be interested, but you’ll miss them when they’re gone and replaced with plasticy little electric trainers.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 3:12 pm
Speaking of prop teams -

I was watching them in Denmark this weekend, and I totally get that Baby Blue aren’t everyone’s cup of tea (for what they are, they’re decent - they chuck the little things around!) but T-17s themselves are rare as hell, and one of the aircraft is in a heritage special scheme to look like the old Danish Chipmunks, which looks the mutt’s nuts.

Something to look forward to if that particular machine makes it over.

Above all else, they absolutely fit the theme of the show.

You might not be interested, but you’ll miss them when they’re gone and replaced with plasticy little electric trainers.
I've only ever seen them a couple of times (in Poland), & I quite like the aircraft - is the display any more 'dynamic' with 6 of them compared to previously?

JMC

Post by JMC »

Another tip for aircraft you're not interested in (if you're a photographer): Use it as time to practise shooting. If I know something special is coming up, i'll happy to shoot a Tutor to make sure i've got the balance right for the shot I want coming up.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

CJS wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 2:59 pm
[Joke filter]Just a thought, but given the time the B-52 takes to turn, its appearance in the flying display will hardly take any extra time:

Take off;
1st pass;
2nd pass;
B-52 lands.

I looked at the 2010 (I think) RIAT display it did, and it lasted about 10 minutes with 6 passes. Fast pass, slowish pass, open bomb bay pass, fast open bomb bay pass, landing gear down pass, and another open bomb bay pass. Cant wait to hear the B-52 engine!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 3:20 pm
CJS wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 2:59 pm

Take off;
1st pass;
2nd pass;
B-52 lands.

I looked at the 2010 (I think) RIAT display it did, and it lasted about 10 minutes with 6 passes. Fast pass, slowish pass, open bomb bay pass, fast open bomb bay pass, landing gear down pass, and another open bomb bay pass. Cant wait to hear the B-52 engine!
You sure you didn't watch both days?

And yay - its Father's Day!. More choccies.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Bodz156 wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 3:15 pm
I've only ever seen them a couple of times (in Poland), & I quite like the aircraft - is the display any more 'dynamic' with 6 of them compared to previously?
“Dynamic” might be stretching it, but they fill up the space a bit more with six rather than five.

Similar display though - a crazy solo, and the remainder do formations. I must say, it’s executed pretty well, and the solo does chuck the poor little Saab about.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

You sure you didn't watch both days?
😂
- here's the video if anyone is wondering.