E.D.Wynn Ammunition Computer?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
keithjs

E.D.Wynn Ammunition Computer?

Post by keithjs »

Someone has contacted me and asked if I could find out anything about the above piece of equipment? PtNo. LA/1564
The only information I can find out at the moment is that the company was based at Staverton Airport and was an instrument manufacturer and repair organisation.
I can find loads of company adverts etc but nothing specific.
What is/was an Ammunition Computer? Of couse, as always he'd particularly like to know what aircraft type it was fitted to?
He's promised to send me some photos ASAP.
Thanks to you all for any help.
FWIW the company was absobed into Wnnstruments and then B. Hepworth marine who make ship windscreen wipers.
...Rad shutters auto.

iainpeden

Re: E.D.Wynn Ammunition Computer?

Post by iainpeden »

Have you any potential dates? It could be something to do with gunlaying.

If you are on Britmodeller, ask Selwyn; he’s an ex-armourer and very knowledgeable
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

iainpeden wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 2:55 pm
Have you any potential dates? It could be something to do with gunlaying.

If you are on Britmodeller, ask Selwyn; he’s an ex-armourer and very knowledgeable
Thank you. I will. Apparently the serial number is A53/42 so whether that's code for 1953 or 1942 I don't know. Hopefully he'll send the pictures soon.
...Rad shutters auto.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Further to my original post it would appear the chap who originally asked only gave me half the story. It's an Ammunition Counter not computer!
It turns out it was even repaired by the company that I work for when they were in another part of town just after the war.(long before my time) He'd even got the pt.no wrong.
Doing my own research it seems they were used on late Mk Spitfires, Typhoons and Tempests fitted with 20mm cannons. There is also a version for .303's
The only other thing I'd like to find out is where they were physically located in the aircraft? I can't seem to see them on any instrument panel photos.

ImageComputer Front view by Keith, on Flickr03's

ImageComputer Back view by Keith, on Flickr

ImageComputer Packaging by Keith, on Flickr
...Rad shutters auto.