RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
RichPittman

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by RichPittman »

Can someone confirm if park and view east parking bid on base please?

Also how much a ticket was/would be if you payed on the Day.

Cheers
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

RichPittman wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 4:48 am
Can someone confirm if park and view east parking bid on base please?

Also how much a ticket was/would be if you payed on the Day.

Cheers
P&V East parking was on base on Wed/Thu so assume the same on Mon. It was a bit of a walk to the gate - 5 mins but on tarmac.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

JJC

Post by JJC »

pbeardmore wrote:
Fri 15 Jul 2022, 9:39 pm
Great day all round for me, after COVID, just wonderful to be back.

Any comments on the F-35 and F-15 that come in straight over the crowd?
Heard they flew over whilst on the way to Farnborough. No idea if it’s true though.

JJC
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Arrived via the red route, 10 minutes from Burford to being parked up on base, just along from the B-2 hangar. Fantastic!

JMC

Post by JMC »

Before I got to the word ‘hangar’ I led myself to believe that a B-2 had shown up and plopped itself in the static park! I need some coffee.

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Thanks bishbashbosh

Smackersmith

Post by Smackersmith »

Hope you lucky do in so’s have a good time. Got tickets for tomorrow but the kid has woken up with chickenpox so it’s unlikely that we’re going tomorrow. She was so excited about the ‘planes that draw in the air’

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Tornadofan wrote:
Fri 15 Jul 2022, 10:27 pm
Hello everybody, hope everybody who went today had a great time. Can I just ask a couple of questions, I’m driving in on Sunday this year as taking my Mum (First time at an air show) and coming from the south so believe I’d end up on the green route. Is the parking on base or a distance away as I don’t want to make her walk too far? I’d also want to get near to the crowd line so guess I’ll be heading for the red zone, would I actually be better off getting onto the red route? Finally I should arrive 6.30ish so from experience how bad is the queue by then and if we head in as soon as the show ground opens how easy will it be to get a spot on the crowd line or is it a bit of a stampede like Yeovilton can be?
The green car park is off base a 5-10 minute walk from the entrance but from there you can get a bus to the centre so won’t need to walk the whole thing.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Any jets from Top Gun Maverick at Fairford? Or is he the passenger on the E-4B?

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Tornadofan wrote:
Hello everybody, hope everybody who went today had a great time. Can I just ask a couple of questions, I’m driving in on Sunday this year as taking my Mum (First time at an air show) and coming from the south so believe I’d end up on the green route. Is the parking on base or a distance away as I don’t want to make her walk too far? I’d also want to get near to the crowd line so guess I’ll be heading for the red zone, would I actually be better off getting onto the red route? Finally I should arrive 6.30ish so from experience how bad is the queue by then and if we head in as soon as the show ground opens how easy will it be to get a spot on the crowd line or is it a bit of a stampede like Yeovilton can be?
Hello Tornadofan. If you're coming from the south (via Swindon), you will be more likely to be in the Blue car parks in adjacentfarm fields. There is a relatively short walk onto the base and you will be perfectly located at the less busy end of the crowd line.

If you arrive around 0630, you will have to stand in line for one hour before the gates open and based on my experience in Blue yesterday, the queue was very slow-moving due to ticket and security checks.

Head for the P-3 Orion and you should have no problem getting a spot near the fence far from the madding crowd!

I hope you both enjoy the day.

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Did the 336 fly through with the reds today?

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

It's hot enough today, so think tomorrow I may leave the camera at home and just watch a show with my eyes for a change.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Smackersmith wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:03 am
Hope you lucky do in so’s have a good time. Got tickets for tomorrow but the kid has woken up with chickenpox so it’s unlikely that we’re going tomorrow. She was so excited about the ‘planes that draw in the air’
Rotten luck and hope she’s better soon.

We have a thread open for selling tickets which might at least save you being out of pocket, as well as out of luck.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tornadofan

Post by Tornadofan »

Alpha Delta 210 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 3:07 pm
Tornadofan wrote:
Hello Tornadofan. If you're coming from the south (via Swindon), you will be more likely to be in the Blue car parks in adjacentfarm fields. There is a relatively short walk onto the base and you will be perfectly located at the less busy end of the crowd line.

If you arrive around 0630, you will have to stand in line for one hour before the gates open and based on my experience in Blue yesterday, the queue was very slow-moving due to ticket and security checks.

Head for the P-3 Orion and you should have no problem getting a spot near the fence far from the madding crowd!

I hope you both enjoy the day.
Thank you to you and @ Andyperkins for the replies. Can’t wait to be there

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Extremely uncomfortable today. A lot of issues, as I'm aware with welfare of people due to the heat. When does it become too much and the right thing is to suspend the flying display? Seemed a bit irresponsible today, given the messaging of a serious heatwave. Curtail the display would stop the older gentleman next to me collapsing due to heat. It sounded like they were overwhelmed, as they were reminding us to hydrate etc on a frequent basis and were frequently busy with ambulance assistance required - I saw it on a number of occasions.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Flare Path wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 5:11 pm
Extremely uncomfortable today. A lot of issues, as I'm aware with welfare of people due to the heat. When does it become too much and the right thing is to suspend the flying display? Seemed a bit irresponsible today, given the messaging of a serious heatwave. Curtail the display would stop the older gentleman next to me collapsing due to heat. It sounded like they were overwhelmed, as they were reminding us to hydrate etc on a frequent basis and were frequently busy with ambulance assistance required - I saw it on a number of occasions.
Even in the sun, there are simple things you can do to avoid suffering from the heat. Suspending the display wouldn't help, because the inside areas are freely available all day long. The temperature will continue to rise right through to about 6pm, so you'd have to stop it by about 11 to have any effect.

Common sense - that's not RIAT's responsibility.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

vbombers2

Post by vbombers2 »

I see car park exit management is up to its usual level of incompetence.

JMC

Post by JMC »

I see hundreds with tops off and I think what’s the point in warning these morons.

& I did see a couple heavily pregnant women on the showground too. I’m not an expert in that field but surely the last place you’d want to be/should be is at a noisy hot airshow?

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Flare Path wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 5:11 pm
I didn't think it was extremely uncomfortable today but at 4 I decided to call it a day as the temperature was continuing to rise. Please don't make the weather RIAT's responsibility, I think we have been given enough warnings to make sensible decisions for ourselves.
Last edited by tankbuster on Sat 16 Jul 2022, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Frecce were their usual brilliant selves today but the Black Eagles were even better. At times they were off the scale with that performance and that's what it was a performance.
Last edited by tankbuster on Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

verreli

Post by verreli »

CJS wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 5:24 pm
Common sense - that's not RIAT's responsibility.
:thumbsup:
What is RIAT's responsibility is putting on a great safe show and they did that today. It would be a shame to waste all that blue sky. For those coming tomorrow, it does get a bit toasty so bear that in mind and take appropriate personal preparations.

verreli

Post by verreli »

tankbuster wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 5:55 pm
Frecce were their usual brilliant selves today but the Black Cats were even better. At times they were off the scale with that performance and that's what it was a performance.
I hadn't realised we had stealth helicopters either. Just brilliant.

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

As long as RIAT are doing their part (which they are) giving out free water and reminding people to keep hydrated and keep topping up sun cream that's all they can/should do maybe give away free suncream if they not already?. It has to be down to people to make their own choices I know I do bad in the heat which is way I am not bringing my camera as In this heat I know I will wanna seat with my brolly and watch planes fly not worry about getting good shots but that's a personal choice.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Post by 106500 »

verreli wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 5:59 pm
tankbuster wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 5:55 pm
Frecce were their usual brilliant selves today but the Black Cats were even better. At times they were off the scale with that performance and that's what it was a performance.
I hadn't realised we had stealth helicopters either. Just brilliant.
I liked the Black Eagles as well! One criticism though - the commentary music; arrrggghhh!!!