RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
JMC

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by JMC »

If we're lucky to get any assets from the Hall/Heath (in the flying) it'd be nice to see them operate from Fairford for a change. F-15's/F-35's blasting off would be a treat.

JJC

Post by JJC »

The Austrians have rolled out a rather nice special Typhoon recently:
http://masm.over-blog.com/2022/07/eurof ... -2022.html
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

I'm in Kempsford camping for the week, including Departures Monday, what's the photo opportunity like from there? done a search but cant find much? Thanks

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

BMrider wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 5:52 am
I'm in Kempsford camping for the week, including Departures Monday, what's the photo opportunity like from there? done a search but cant find much? Thanks
Unfortunately I don't think you'll have much luck photographing from Kempsford unless you can stand on top of a vehicle to see over the fence. Even so, you're quite a way away. You'll get a decent view of the flying but would need a long lens to photograph the displays. It's a great place to watch but won't be much good for photos.

Chris33

Post by Chris33 »

Just tested positive for Covid a week before Riat, you couldn't make it up. Fingers crossed it clears off by next Wednesday.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Chris33 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 9:59 am
Just tested positive for Covid a week before Riat, you couldn't make it up. Fingers crossed it clears off by next Wednesday.
fingers crossed for you mate. that's my biggest concern at the moment.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Chris33 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 9:59 am
I’m in same boat at the minute, tested positive on Saturday and have been rough since. Hope you don’t have any symptoms and you’re able to attend!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

G-CVIX wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 6:25 am
BMrider wrote:
Unfortunately I don't think you'll have much luck photographing from Kempsford unless you can stand on top of a vehicle to see over the fence. Even so, you're quite a way away. You'll get a decent view of the flying but would need a long lens to photograph the displays. It's a great place to watch but won't be much good for photos.
Purely departures-wise, its OK for heavies. They tend to be at about the right height and you're close enough. Smaller stuff, no chance really, its not so much the base fence but everything that's between you and the runway, distance to runway, etc etc. Through the fence, as ground movements are happening there are occasional shots to be had.

As for the displays, as CVIX says. You can get the occasional nice shot, but they're exceptions.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

I've had two site meetings cancelled this week due to the hosting staff having Covid, one in Brecon and one in Wiltshire, plus a friend and half his family have come down with it quite badly. I'm pulling up the drawbridge for a week and going back to full social distancing to try and manage the risk of exposure.

I thought worrying about weather and aircraft cancellations was stressful enough!

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

Me too, too many people falling down with Covid, so I'm keeping a low profile and taking all precautions, face mask etc when out. I fly down for RIAT next Tuesday and see the flight as the greatest risk of exposure, which would be a disaster. Anyone know where I could hire an NBC suit?

Post by 106500 »

G-CVIX wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 6:25 am
BMrider wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with this opinion. Provided you are reasonably close to the western end of the campsite fence line which runs parallel to the runway there's some great opportunities for photos. Of course you would need something like a 200 mm lens to get a decent shot but such kit would be necessary inside the show in any event.

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

Maccyd wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 11:04 am
Me too, too many people falling down with Covid, so I'm keeping a low profile and taking all precautions, face mask etc when out. I fly down for RIAT next Tuesday and see the flight as the greatest risk of exposure, which would be a disaster. Anyone know where I could hire an NBC suit?
Probably safer on a aircraft than most places. Air is constantly recycled in a pressurised cabin.

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

snicker01 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 11:26 am
Maccyd wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 11:04 am
Probably safer on a aircraft than most places. Air is constantly recycled in a pressurised cabin.
Are you sure? I thought that recirculating air was the problem that facilitated transmission, i.e person in row 3 sneezes and row 20 catch a cold?

Either way I'll still be travelling and taking every measure to reduce any risk.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Maccyd wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm
snicker01 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 11:26 am

Are you sure? I thought that recirculating air was the problem that facilitated transmission, i.e person in row 3 sneezes and row 20 catch a cold?

Either way I'll still be travelling and taking every measure to reduce any risk.
You are correct in that air is mostly recirculated, but it does not go round & round the cabin as such. Air enters around the ceiling and then exhausts at the lower sidewall panels (by your feet), creating a top to bottom movement of the air. This air then goes through the recirculation system (very effective HEPA filters) before being mixed with fresh air and re-entering the aircraft cabin, again from the ceiling area.
Therefore, your risk of 'catching' something off a fellow passenger is only really restricted to your row and at a push the rows in front and behind (i.e. not from one end of the aircraft to the other!)

Sorry for straying off topic, but hopefully that will reassure you a bit for your travels

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Could be good! I wonder if the Reds will use nine hawks as they do with other flypasts.

Frankly I can hardly believe its RIAT next week.

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 7:12 pm
Could be good! I wonder if the Reds will use nine hawks as they do with other flypasts.

Frankly I can hardly believe its RIAT next week.
Looks like 7 Reds according to sketch on picture 1 above...
Lakes Lightning Collection

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 7:05 pm
From the horse’s mouth:

[media] [/media]
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

JMC

Post by JMC »

If the joint flypast is just one day (Friday), i’d still love to see a reds/B-52 flypast over the weekend (we’ve seen the reds/USAF flypast numerous times F-117/Thunderbirds/ACC in America). That’d be pretty special.

That aside, I can’t wait to just plonk myself down on the grass, with the smell of kerosine in the air, the sound of Ben Dunnell’s voice on the tannoy saying the first act is on the runway, the walk round the static park when the sun is setting, the hustle and bustle for tat, an overpriced bacon butty, looking at the movements sheet and getting excited with fellow other enthusiasts, looking at model kits in the gazebos, the shuttle bus at the end of the day and noticing in the reflection that you look like a lobster, the thud in the chest of the first afterburner jet going past at 10am, the 5am starts, the sound of all the shutters in perfect synchronisation and most importantly just taking it all in after 3 years of absolute rubbishness.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yep, getting very excited now. The RAFAT have in the past put on unique flypasts on both main showdays - I can't actually remember when they didn't - so I would think there will something planned for each day.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Covid is my biggest worry now, my best friend tested positive Friday past, and I had been with him all day Thursday. I've tested negative right up until today thankfully, but not going out unless I have to until I head off next week lol.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Just had an email about collecting my viewing village tickets/wristbands. It mentioned also collecting my lunch voucher - is this a new thing?

Don't remember getting such a thing in the past (it's most welcome of course!).

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

CJS wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 8:50 pm
Just had an email about collecting my viewing village tickets/wristbands. It mentioned also collecting my lunch voucher - is this a new thing?

I just got the same about the public grandstand and was about to ask lol.

Very welcome if true.

CJS

Post by CJS »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 8:51 pm
CJS wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 8:50 pm

I just got the same about the public grandstand and was about to ask lol.

Very welcome if true.
Well unless BJ has already moved into a new job and is now sending RIAT emails, I think it's either true or a genuine mistake!

It would be useful (as someone with 'dietary requirements') to have an idea of what will be available with the voucher, as it might mean carrying less stuff around.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

As for looking forward to being able to 'wander around the static when the sun is setting', good luck with that. Most years all I ever experienced were staff wanting to chuck you out an hour after flying! Who knows, maybe this year will be different?