NeilD's Aircraft Models

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
neil_davidson2

NeilD's Aircraft Models

Post by neil_davidson2 »

By way of introduction I got back into building model kits about ten years ago after a thirty year hiatus.

I'm an infrequent builder of aircraft but having recently finished another one I thought I'd share some of my results from the past few years, these have all featured on a modelling forum that I use so apologies if you've seen these before. Being a little old fashioned I like to pose my aircraft "in-fight" if possible.

Starting with a pair of Airfix 1/48 Hurricanes from 2016... first up is the Mk1 tropical version; this has been finished in the colours of an 80 Squadron aircraft flown by William Vale during the battle of Crete in 1941 and was based at Maleme. This was built for my father in law as my wife's parents retired to Crete and live not far from Maleme.

And secondly here's the standard Mk1 finished out as UP-W from 605 squadron.

This A10-A "Killer Chick" is Academy's 1/72 offering paired up with a less than healthy T-72 from Revell.

And with a little help from the magic of photoshop...

1/72 Airfix Harrier GR 1 - probably a bit close to the trees...

I know this isn't an aircraft but given some of the debate about the potential future for RAFAT I thought it might be interesting - I'll edit it out if it's not appropriate.

1/72 Valom Bristol Buckingham - being a limited run kit this was a pig of a build

1/72 Airfix Saab Draken. This was a 1989 rebox but the moulds were from 1970 based on the date stamp inside the lower fuselage - and yep they were showing their age! Plenty of filler used but it was fun to go back to one of the kits I built as a kid - although it took me a lot longer this time :)

Tamiya's 1/72 Mosquito B Mk. IV with a Revell crew shoe-horned into the cockpit

1/72 Hasegawa MV22 Osprey. I had problems with the stencils in the after market decal set so the finished item is a hybrid of kit stencils with after market unit & national insignia.

A bit of fun with a couple of egg planes

And finally 1/72 Matchbox's He-115 - this was Revell's rebox from 1989, but the stamps on the moulds were 1975 so another one from my childhood

If you got this far then thanks for looking :)

I'll try to remember to post up finished kits as they happen going forwards & my next planned project is Eduard's 1/48 Draken.

adam2628

Re: NeilD's Aircraft Models

Post by adam2628 »

Some great builds there Neil! Love the Harrier - what did you use for the jetwash disturbance?

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Nice builds, particularly the He 115, Buckingham and Osprey stand out!

I really should get some of mine put up!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

neil_davidson2

Post by neil_davidson2 »

adam2628 wrote:
Tue 26 Jul 2022, 2:09 pm
Some great builds there Neil! Love the Harrier - what did you use for the jetwash disturbance?
Thanks Adam!

The jetwash effect was created with wool roving (basically unspun yarn) which I picked up at Hobbycraft.

I started trying with cotton wool and that just didn't look right so tried this instead.
TonyC wrote:
Tue 26 Jul 2022, 3:50 pm
Nice builds, particularly the He 115, Buckingham and Osprey stand out!

I really should get some of mine put up!
Thanks Tony!