FRIAT 2023 ticket increases discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: FRIAT 2023 ticket increases discussion

Post by Tommy »

Yeah that’s a bit of a relief - as is the clarity over Bands A & B- I thought that was MACH 3 equivalent when first reading it

Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I wonder what happens if over 1,400 of those booking ask for seats in Band C & Band D? Do they get offered Band B or Band A or given seats in those Band A or B, without the extra charge or told sorry no seats available in the band you have asked for?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I actually might do FRIAT next year as it works out cheaper than my costs for this year doing various enclosures on top of admission.

Does the FRIAT ticket include the shuttle bus or do you have to pay on the day when getting the bus? I remember a few years ago someone saying they were asked to pay as the FRIAT pass didn't include the shuttle bus.

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

At least some clarity, and relief that the DD option still stands. Many questions still though, will we still be allocated seats on the day? Guess we’ll have to wait till next Thursday to find out!

Thanks again to Tommy for raising this with DBH.

Jason- Shuttle bus is not included in FRIAT, but tickets are discounted to £6 per person, per day.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

It sounds like there has been a U-turn on the changes of certain elements of the booking process (either that or the original email was worded really, really badly). I'm thankful for some clarity on the bands (why on Earth was this not included in the original email anyway?). I'll now likely book band C, so an increase of £45 on this year which I can deal with. It's still confusing as to whether we're picking our seats when we book or not? I'll find out on Friday I guess.

It would be really nice if they could offer something unique, or at least address the requests in some capacity.

I hope that the team understand that something that sets FRIAT apart from just being an enclosure at an airshow is the extra communication and customer service that you get and I hope they don't lose sight of this in the run up to next year. I think that getting a good FRIAT experience this year will be a deciding factor for many when they decide if they can afford the new prices.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Reading the FAQs it seems like this whole thing has been a storm in a teacup - but totally created by poor communication from the FRIAT side.

Charging extra for the prime seats for those that really want them whilst only imposing a modest (below inflation!) increase for most others is really, kind of ok. But the implication was obviously much worse and its difficult to lose the sour taste for many no doubt.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Idk whether the rides are below inflation or not, but yeah you’re right.

This could have been so much better, even supported (we all get that things will cost more!) had they just been open and clear about it all.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Come August '23 I'd love to be involved (Wendy you have my e-mail!) in the analysis of which of the 6 days were most popular, which Mach 3 members never quite reached the stand (!) and whether attendance patterns changed - I'm considering doing Thursday, then Sunday and Monday.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

vbombers2

Post by vbombers2 »

The cost is a bit of a worry for me, but I don't spend big on many other events and it gives the wife a break from me for a few days :-)

My biggest concern is being sat next to the same a***holes from 2019. It was a family of three who seemed to have little interest in the show beyond slagging off the Americans. The Mum was particularly rude, especially when returning to her seat. She refused to wait for gaps in the display and pushed her way through. In the end I bought a folding chair and decamped to the front of the stand for the remainder of the weekend.

Can't understand why someone would pay for three lots of MACH2 to sit and moan about it all.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

vbombers2 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 2:52 pm
My biggest concern is being sat next to the same a***holes from 2019. It was a family of three who seemed to have little interest in the show beyond slagging off the Americans.
Wissam24 has been rumbled!

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Okay, not being a FRIAT member for a few years the whole conversation about 2023 pricing passed me by until I started to contemplate my plans for 2023 after this years show. First off, I won’t be reinstating my “friendship” as I am unable to commit to 6 days and the new pricing is prohibitive.

I am also pretty sure that the bean counters at DBH know exactly what they are doing and that the stand will be full up again in 2023, albeit without a lot of loyal enthusiasts that have supported the ‘charity’ for decades.

As others have rightly said, it’s down to supply and demand- in which case why not look at increasing supply? With the massive flightLine at Fairford, why not just increase the FRIAT enclosure? Surely they could easily double the size of enclosure with another grandstand and marquee, some extra toilets etc. You can still raise prices a bit but within more acceptable levels that people could/would be prepared to swallow.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Because they would receive a lot of Flak from the normal people that would see another bit of crowdline taken away for some enclosure!
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

frank

Post by frank »

One thing I noticed this year on the Blue Gate is that whilst we had gate K for FRIAT members, there was no dedicated lane at security. I am sure we used to have one. Wasn’t a big deal on the day which I think was due to lucky timing of entry but could have been I think.
Thoughts ?

Berf

Post by Berf »

Agree that a dedicated line for FRIAT at all entrances would be good. Maybe time limited for say one hour - or other people directed to the line when there was no FRIAT people waiting...

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I tend to wait until 8 before going through the FRIAT fast track; both days I was directed right to the front of the security line and through, including bag search both days,in a couple of minutes.
I guess the issue around fast track at red and green is staffing it; bypassing green route to get to blue is easy (clues given for a small fee) and get out at the back of the car park.

frank

Post by frank »

iainpeden wrote:
Thu 28 Jul 2022, 11:37 am
I tend to wait until 8 before going through the FRIAT fast track; both days I was directed right to the front of the security line and through, including bag search both days,in a couple of minutes.
I guess the issue around fast track at red and green is staffing it; bypassing green route to get to blue is easy (clues given for a small fee) and get out at the back of the car park.
We arrived about 0815 and certainly weren’t directed anywhere other that Gate K and the grass lane upto the security tents. Which security lane you chose was up-to you. In previous years we clearly had a FRIAT security lane.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 3:02 pm
vbombers2 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 2:52 pm
My biggest concern is being sat next to the same a***holes from 2019. It was a family of three who seemed to have little interest in the show beyond slagging off the Americans.
Wissam24 has been rumbled!
This does sound worryingly like me and my other identical triplets.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

frank

Post by frank »

Has anyone been contacted yet regarding payment and seating choice for next year.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I think September was mentioned.

Berf

Post by Berf »

iainpeden wrote:
Sun 07 Aug 2022, 6:25 am
I think September was mentioned.
late Sept/Oct in an email from Wendy about my emailed application...

Adam the gardener

Post by Adam the gardener »

frank wrote:
Sat 06 Aug 2022, 10:18 pm
Has anyone been contacted yet regarding payment and seating choice for next year.
Got an email yesterday:

Dear FRIAT member,

A little later than I had planned but I believe the system is now set up ready to start processing your FRIAT booking for 2023.

Here is a link that will take you to the online FRIAT Grandstand plan - https://www.airtattoo.com/friat-grandstand you will need access to this link when I call you so that you can see which seats are available to book.

I will be calling each person in turn using the numbers on the booking forms that were returned at the show. It will just be the lead name on each booking form that I will call initially.

Regards

Wendy Toms

FRIAT Manager

Useful link. Same layout as last year. I now have my first, second and third choices Now I just wait to be called.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Thanks Adam, useful information as I didn’t get the email.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Adam the gardener wrote:
Wed 07 Sep 2022, 9:16 am
frank wrote:
Got an email yesterday:

Dear FRIAT member,

A little later than I had planned but I believe the system is now set up ready to start processing your FRIAT booking for 2023.

Here is a link that will take you to the online FRIAT Grandstand plan - https://www.airtattoo.com/friat-grandstand you will need access to this link when I call you so that you can see which seats are available to book.

I will be calling each person in turn using the numbers on the booking forms that were returned at the show. It will just be the lead name on each booking form that I will call initially.

Regards

Wendy Toms

FRIAT Manager

Useful link. Same layout as last year. I now have my first, second and third choices Now I just wait to be called.
Why did we need to put a band or seat request on the renewal forms? Seems a pointless exercise that only added confusion on the day.

I didn't receive the email either so hopefully will get a call soon enough. I was quite down the numbers (500 odd I think) but I do like the idea of looking at the map and picking myself a spot, so I think this method works well.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

G-CVIX wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 5:21 am

Why did we need to put a band or seat request on the renewal forms? Seems a pointless exercise that only added confusion on the day.
I checked with the FRIAT staff at the show that I was filling that box in correctly, and they told me not to bother with it, they'd be contacting us, as the above email confirms. Its probably fair to assume that the form being printed with it on was a symptom of the change happening in short order just before the event.

frank

Post by frank »

Adam the gardener wrote:
Wed 07 Sep 2022, 9:16 am
frank wrote:
Got an email yesterday:

Dear FRIAT member,

Regards

Wendy Toms

FRIAT Manager

The link provided says Grandstand plan is unavailable.