Southend Airshow planning to return

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
jasonT1981

Southend Airshow planning to return

Post by jasonT1981 »

Since 2012, no May bank holiday weekend has been the same in Southend. The much loved annual airshow that ran for 27 consecutive years was cancelled in 2013 due to council cutbacks.
Now we are planning to bring it back to our skies! Bigger and better than ever!
Exactly what our newly appointed city status deserves!
There's a long road ahead and a lot of work to be done but the team are determined to make this happen!
Over the coming months more information will be released and our new website will be launched!
For now, please like, follow and share our pages across social media!
https://www.facebook.com/southendairshowofficial
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Mon 22 Aug 2022, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Southend Airshow to return

Post by UKTopgun »

This thread title is very definite but what is the team behind this wish?
The show was to be saved a few years back but nothing came of it.
Hence sceptical.

It's a great idea to bring it back but need more info on the who what how please!

jasonT1981

Re: Southend Airshow planning to return

Post by jasonT1981 »

I've added 'planning to' to the title. More info will no doubt come as plans progress.

Good that another show is being planned though. We've lost too many recently.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Wonderful news.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Someone sets up a random facebook page with virtually no information on it and everyone just believes it as gospel truth! :rolling_eyes:

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

There is an individual (or individuals) definitely exploring the resurrection of the Southend display, but how he/they are getting on re the financing of such a venture, I guess we will have to wait and see...

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

It says on that Facebook group, ignoring the poor grammar, that it is a private venture, nothing to do with the council.
Whether it managed to get off the ground or not, at least someone is trying to bring it back. Also going for 2024 instead of trying to rush for 2023 seems sensible

JMC

Post by JMC »

Used to be great, but bringing it back will just result in another filler show Blackpool, Clacton etc….

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

By "filler show", I take it you mean "not for those on this Forum" ?

But seafront shows aren't aimed at you - they are for the between 200,000 and 1 million members of Joe public who want a free day out enjoying some aeroplanes (and especially the Reds, Typhoon & BBMF) and the businesses in those communities who greatly welcome the footfall & spend.

The Air Display industry is a diverse one, appealing to all. Any addition is welcome.

JMC

Post by JMC »

No need to be so defensive. Not denying that it doesn’t bring in any benefits, but will borrow an overused phrase at the minute ‘sign of the times’ I guess.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

JMC wrote:
Mon 22 Aug 2022, 3:10 pm
Used to be great, but bringing it back will just result in another filler show Blackpool, Clacton etc….
These kind of shows provide different opportunities if the shows themselves don't appeal - just this weekend at Southend Airport I got better Typhoon pics than I did at RIAT, I got to see the Lancaster up close on the ground for the first time in god knows how many years, and shows like Eastbourne and Clacton in the last few years have allowed me to get close to the MiG-15, T-33, Vampires, Strikemasters etc. They've been some of the most rewarding days photographically, and I enjoy them much more than I would watching the jets at the seafront.

During the Southend shows of old, the airport would host an open day and you got insanely close to Harriers, Jaguars, Typhoons, Tornados, Hercs, warbirds and classic jets. Again, for me, that was much better than the show taking place at the seafront. You can rue the lack of variety (especially military) but there are still interesting aircraft out there.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

I'm with you, days at the Airport were unreal with the close access. Fingers Crossed .
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!