Sustainability @ RIAT

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Professor_M

Sustainability @ RIAT

Post by Professor_M »

Looking at the double page spread in the 2022 Programme (p.60-61), it seems as though, like so many organisations and events, there is work going on to improve sustainability at the show (Water refill points and encouraging people to bring water bottles, encouraging avoiding single-use plastic, no waste to landfill and more longer-lasting merchandise).

What else do people think they should be doing and encouraging us, the airshow-goers, to do - was there anything obvious that you have spotted or thought about that could be changed?

I thought of two things:
- Replace the plastic trees with low maintenance real ones, kept on site from year to year, and then transported by hand (or by electric vehicle powered by renewable energy) to their position on the show ground (preferably out of the way of the aeroplanes though :grinning:

- Encourage support aircraft to stay for the weekend - Hungarian A319, Swedish, Italian C-130, Polish, Czech and Spanish C295 all came in at the start of the show, left and returned at the end - 6 additional European flights that, may or may not have been necessary - I am sure that some may have needed to retrieve spare parts for broken aircraft, but I am sure that, in the name of sustainability, some of them could have stayed to prevent excessive flying (I know it is only a handful of flights from the many that RIAT causes, but change must start somewhere).

Any other ideas?

Georgeconna

Re: Sustainability @ RIAT

Post by Georgeconna »

Replace the plastic trees with low maintenance real ones, No point in Carting trees plastic or otherwise in the first place.

Good idea on the visitors though.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Get rid of all those noisy, smelly, polluting, fuel-wasting lying thingies.
Regards,
Greta T.

:smiley:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Professor_M wrote:
Mon 29 Aug 2022, 9:15 am
Looking at the double page spread in the 2022 Programme (p.60-61), it seems as though, like so many organisations and events, there is work going on to improve sustainability at the show (Water refill points and encouraging people to bring water bottles, encouraging avoiding single-use plastic, no waste to landfill and more longer-lasting merchandise).
I bought one bottle of 7 up on the Friday at the show, and refilled it with water again and again until I got home Tuesday. Bring water bottles? Not sure how sustainable those are. Oh, and still proudly wearing RIAT T shirts from the late 1990s (those with Wilf Hardy artwork).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Mon 29 Aug 2022, 3:35 pm
Oh, and still proudly wearing RIAT T shirts from the late 1990s (those with Wilf Hardy artwork).
Far better lasting then than the T-shirt I bought from the Spanish Harriers at Farnborough a few years back, lasted me no longer than a month - I am now very careful considering what I buy from crew at shows.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

aviodromefriend wrote: still proudly wearing RIAT T shirts from the late 1990s
IAT cap from the early '80s ( before it became RIAT )...and the floppy hat in the photo IanF posted of me dates back to about the same time :cowboy:
아직도 숨어있다

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Georgeconna wrote:
Mon 29 Aug 2022, 10:55 am
Good idea on the visitors though.
Well, the Finnish C295 and Irish PC-12 managed it this year, with the Italian P180 also staying (albeit north-side, hidden completely out of view of the spectators) - if they can do it, I am sure some of the others I've listed can do so too.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Given the number of support aircraft which were bizjets, I'd be inclined to think that the only 'support' they were doing was transporting SOs around for junkets.
Some of the 'support' aircraft also looked to be more like air-spares ( the Gazelle, for example ) and may well have been required elsewhere, ditto the proper support aircraft.

The ones I'd say they should really look at are all the ones classed as 'visitors'....whilst it didn't happen this year, how many times in previous years have there been visiting aircraft ( primarily bizjets ) have repeatedly flown in & out during the actual flying display period ( I seem to recall that one year a particular Gulfstream IV flew in & out at least half a dozen times on the Saturday alone )
아직도 숨어있다

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 7:46 am
Given the number of support aircraft which were bizjets, I'd be inclined to think that the only 'support' they were doing was transporting SOs around for junkets.
Some of the 'support' aircraft also looked to be more like air-spares ( the Gazelle, for example ) and may well have been required elsewhere, ditto the proper support aircraft.

The ones I'd say they should really look at are all the ones classed as 'visitors'....whilst it didn't happen this year, how many times in previous years have there been visiting aircraft ( primarily bizjets ) have repeatedly flown in & out during the actual flying display period ( I seem to recall that one year a particular Gulfstream IV flew in & out at least half a dozen times on the Saturday alone )
Yes, I deliberately ignored the biz jet types from my list as I suspected they would be busy transporting 'officials' - the transport types and, as you say, other visiting types could perhaps change though.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Alternatively, Marshall ( who, I think, have been one of the biggest multiple-flight offenders in the past ) are one of the main sponsors of RIAT, so maybe they should look to lead by example.

And do the likes of David Jason really need to fly to the show - after all, what's the fuel consumption on an R44 ?
아직도 숨어있다

AMB

Post by AMB »

Ensure all the 'Follow Me' cars and other 'support vehicles' are not gas guzzling diesel powered. Some seem to cuise round endlessly wasting fuel.
Adrian

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

All VIPS to arrive by road :crazy_face:
Lakes Lightning Collection

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

chrisward123 wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 9:09 am
All VIPS to arrive by road :crazy_face:
It might encourage a rapid improvement in traffic planning! :sleeping:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

No jollies in helicopters to get aerial shots of rare visitors arriving over the airfield.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Or the display teams who take off then spend more time stooging around before & after their display than it takes to actually do the display
아직도 숨어있다

DanH

Post by DanH »

capercaillie wrote:
Tue 30 Aug 2022, 3:51 pm
No jollies in helicopters to get aerial shots of rare visitors arriving over the airfield.
I wonder if this sort of thing could be done using a drone? I'm sure it's a bit trickier if they're using it to film/photograph arriving aircraft due to some pilots not wanting a drone in their airspace, but surely when they're just after aerial shots of the crowd/showground there is no reason why it couldn't be done?
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/