Media City Salford/Manchester

Photos that are not aviation related
Mooshie1956

Media City Salford/Manchester

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I decided to get out and try a bit of night photography, only my second time at this, the first being a night shoot at Barton Airport a few years back.
I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback, as I would like to do this again.

1. I know there's a post in the wrong place, I didn't realise until I had taken a few shots.
ImageMedia City-1 by Peter Hurley, on Flickr

2.BBC. I'm quite pleased with this one.
ImageMedia City-3 by Peter Hurley, on Flickr

3. ITV I couldn't quite get the logos to show in full colour, but I'm pleased with the result.
ImageMedia City-2 by Peter Hurley, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

reheat module

Re: Media City Salford/Manchester

Post by reheat module »

Despite it being only a second attempt, the returns are very good. Issues often seen with night photography revolve around metering, which affects exposure, - here your metering has worked well (did you use any -ev at all to maintain the rich blacks)?
In image 1 you have identified the pole, as it stands it is a major focal point which grabs attention, rather than the background. A few footsteps to change the position would have made the significant positive result. The colours and reflections are well managed. There is a very tight fit to the top RH corner of the image; personally, I like to give room around the image without cramping.
Image 2 is lovely, the only change I would personally make is cropping a little at the RH edge to remove the half building, and a quick play with the perspective control to get the verticals straight.
Image 3 has plenty of 'negative space in sky and water with not a lot happening. I'd again look at cropping, perhaps this time using a pano or letter-box format with the focal point entered.
If you get the chance to do this set again, try to get in position earlier and make use of the wonderful 'Blue Hour', which is often sought before darkness, this will give rich, deep colours and beautiful reflections.
Please note, I am not a qualified Judge, but I enjoy landscape photography. As I say, these are very, very good for a second attempt, and there is some great work set in there, just waiting to be drawn out.
Canon systems

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Hi Mooshie,

For me the second one is the best one.

Both the first and the third I find the star burst on the lights far too distracting, they are much smaller in the second image. Its also led to some lens flare in the third one. I think a larger aperture would solve that.

I find the railing in the first one just as distracting as the pole, especially as it leads the eye out of the image to the left. I think I would have shot over it. I also think its not quite level, I know there isn't an horizon to talk of but I think it needs rotating just a degree or two clockwise. The pavement and railings outside the BBC sport building are going marginally up and I think it should be marginally down.

Last one for me, the dark shrubby area on the left of the first and third images needs cropping out, it unbalances the images to my eye.

But aside from the large starbursts they are all compositional tips which of course are subjective. Technically you've done a good job. Well done 👏🏼

Cheers,
Jeff
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Thank you both for the advice you have posted, I'll get down there again soon to have another go, hopefully taking on board what you've both said. I really enjoyed the evening and wanted to grab some more shots but unfortunately it started to rain.
I'm using a Nikon Z50, FTZ adaptor and 17-55mm f 2.8 sigma lens.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens