New 'Classic' Aircraft Illustrated

News about 'Aircraft' and 'Combat Aircraft' magazines
Mictheslik

Re: New 'Classic' Aircraft Illustrated

Post by Mictheslik »

I agree with much of the above. The articles in the new magazine are as well written and researched as they were in AI, but it's not the same and it's not necessary. The publication has moved into a niche already filled by the likes of Aeroplane and Flypast. Before, AI occupied a unique position as a magazine catering for the all rounder - someone who didn't want to buy an in depth magazine for every aspect of aviation, who was interested in photography, as well as news and articles. I still go back through copies of AI that are years old and get the same enjoyment out of them, as well as being able to see what was going on in the aviation world at that time. It is with regret therefore that I will not be purchasing this magazine any more. I enjoyed waiting for the new AI to come out and reading the news sections (which were one of the highlights for me). Don't get me wrong, I love classic aviation, but I also like fast jets and airliners. In conclusion the only reason I can see for this change is to try and sell more copies of Combat Aircraft hoping that people will now by both that and Aircraft in order to achieve the same effect that only buying AI used to have....

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

I sat at home trying to work out why AI would want to change direction.

Being a hard headed business type, AI wants to make a profit. So you tap into a market you see is profitable.

So what market is gaining? I looked at the airshow scene and one big "delta" factor is the so called Vulcan effect. How do you tap into this market for an older aircraft? Go classic. This new direction may have been also as a result of reader surveys, from people who have been moved by the Vulcan to a more warbird leaning. One can see the passion the Vulcan evokes on this forum on the 130+ page thread and that could be translated into a reader shift to classic aircraft.

The Aircraft magazine direction could be an effort to tap into this market. The same AI quality is in the new Aircraft magazine, but it feels like a knee-jerk reaction to the Vulcan effect. Count the number of times Vulcan pictures appear in the magazine, quite a few. I know the Vulcan is an important act on the airshow scene, but how long will that last for Joe Public, even the aviaition fans like us?
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

If anyone would like to make a positive review for the new format, please step forward........ :tumbleweed: :ghost:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

ianf wrote:Hi
Today I recieved my copy of the new look aircraft. So what has changed? well the magazine has more pages and the layout of articles are similar to the normal in AI The content is preservation news, archive news and airshow reviews. So no modern military news no airline news in short no longer Aircraft Illustrated just another Classic magazine. I'm sad to say that after 32 years of continous buying of AI when my subscription is up I will not be renewing it. I note that Combat Aircraft is going monthly from september, so I'm guessing the folk at Ian Allen think we will get both magazines and then we have what we already had in one magazine? Unfortunatly the current economic climate means this is unlikely, as I cut Combat out this year because I could not afford both.
A very sad day I think as this mag was the best on the market and gave an all round view of the aviation world. Sorry Ben but you have made a mistake doing this.

Ian

Hi

I think Ian has it sussed and I agree with him totally. With Combat Aircraft going monthly the two compliment each other perfectly. The plan is surely to get two subscriptions instead of one. I have just bought 'Aircraft' and I do agree it achieves its aim. As I enjoy aviation history and aircraft restorations etc I think its very good (I also think it has a different focus than Flypast too). Like many of you however, I think the publishers have shot themselves in the foot because I, like many of you, are not prepared to fork out for two magazines each month. It is also noticable that modern airliners are not represented as such, so who's willing to bet the trilogy will be completed when a new 'Commercial Aircraft' magazine is launched from the same publisher :smile: :smile: :smile: .

So, I agree Aircraft has achieved its aim, but as someone mentioned early in the thread, 'If it ain't broke, why fix it'

R.I.P Aircraft Illustraded :sad:

Mark
HTAFC

Lambourne

Post by Lambourne »

I cancelled my subscription this week having been a loyal AI reader for far more years that I care to remember.

Whilst there has been some discussion over the word 'classic', I am looking at this from the point of view that I was not told that AI was going to become another 'flypast' and lose all the civil/military/news/features etc. It was wrong to assume it would be OK to continue to take reader's subscriptions without informing them of such a major change in the first place. Ian Allan should realise this isn't just a format change or revamp, it's effectively a change of magazine.

I was so misled, I thought when it arrived that it was a sister magazine being launched, not a replacement for my old friend AI. I have some interest in preservation and the classics of course but not all the time.

I am now voting with my eyes and have gone over to Air International until such time as someone reverses this disastrous decision and restores it to the status quo. I'm told the subs dept. are sending me a cheque back for the cancellation and I think the publishers should go further and apologise to subscribers. Of course, the biggest gainers from this change :sad: will be Key Publishing who produce Airliner World and Air International.

Sorry Ben but I'm very disappointed with this.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I think all you subscribers should get an angry mob together and boo him everytime Dan O'Hagan hands him the mic at RIAT :whistle: :ninja:

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:I think all you subscribers should get an angry mob together and boo him everytime Dan O'Hagan hands him the mic at RIAT :whistle: :ninja:

Whats poor old mic got to do with it? p.s. setting off about 8pm - get the dinner on! :wink:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:I think all you subscribers should get an angry mob together and boo him everytime Dan O'Hagan hands him the mic at RIAT :whistle: :ninja:

Whats poor old mic got to do with it? p.s. setting off about 8pm - get the dinner on! :wink:

Stuffed plums and strudel OK? :pinkwafer:

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
st24 wrote:

Stuffed plums and strudel OK? :pinkwafer:

With raw swede mmmmm

BTW, I don't like the new AI either....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I'm in Germany at the moment, but after reading this I'm not really looking forward to getting my copy of the new mag, and may cancel my subscription.

Any advice on differernt magazines?

F-86

Post by F-86 »

Jumbojet380 wrote:I'm in Germany at the moment, but after reading this I'm not really looking forward to getting my copy of the new mag, and may cancel my subscription.

Any advice on differernt magazines?

Air International seems the likely replacement, I still fail to see why anyone would want to change a magazine that did everything well into what it is now.

Megalith

Post by Megalith »

Hello,

I will start with a confession - I've joined this forum for just one reason, to register my profound disappointment with what to all intents and purposes is the demise of Aircraft Illustrated.

I have been buying this magazine every month without fail since I was in my early teens, I'm now 46. Not being a rich man and like many of us I have to watch my expenditure, and Aircraft Illustrated has always provided an excellent value for money one stop shop for the aviation enthusiast, covering all aspects (civil, military historic) with intelligent, well written illustrated articles. Now it seems there is little to differentiate it from Flypast and Aeroplane. Due to the recession I can't relly afford to buy three magazines a month (nor am I willing) so I will give Air International a go, although copies I have seen in the past have left me somewhat cold.

So there it is this is one person who will not be buying the new 'Aircraft Un-illuistrated.'

I would however appreciate it as I am sure others on here would if someone could explain to me to rationalle behind such radical changes, to what I am sure has always been a popular, succesful and long running magazine.

Steve

Eireair

Post by Eireair »

Hi all,

I Stopped getting AI a Few years back as it was one of the mags I culled, I used to get Aeroplane Monthly, Aircraft Illustrated, Air Froces Monthly (since issue 1), Combat Aircraft and Scale Aircraft Models. No I only get Air Forces Monthly and Combat Aircraft.

As There seemed to be a lot of cross over of articles and pictures between Combat Aircraft and AI and I dropped AI in favour of Combat Aircraft not being a fan of Airliners any more and although I liked Aeroplane Monthly I found myself not having the time to read and take in the contents so culled that one as well.

Combat Aircraft coming on as a monthly is now bad news as this will cost double to purchase during the year. I find the Articles in it the same ol same style and the pictures I find are now becomingb very formatted, Ie Fighter Break with flares, Like a Japensese photographers style we all know. I am in awe at the photos and the technical know how that is needed to produce such a pic but they now have become the standard it seems but maybe some new photographers are needed to submit material to give a different angle. Maybe easier said than done though!!

However Combat is a easier read than Airforce Monthly as it has less Jargon so it will be a toss up between the two.

Scale Aircraft Models has had a revamp as well not to the extent of AI it seems but the changes in that mag has raised some schekles also and I have discontinued my subscription of this also.

cheers

George

ghostrider1

Post by ghostrider1 »

I bought my copy at legends on Saturday and after talking to the people on the stand and asking about the content and why they did it - I still was not convinced. Went back to the car and glanced through it and was definately not convinced. I much prefer the old layout,

I agree with others, Combat aircraft is always geared up to the us military and airforces monthly has such much technical jargon that you need a phd to understand it sometimes.

I really think that they have made a mistake with a magazine that works, I will buy the next copy just to try to convince me and maybe see if they have taken notice of the people cancelling subscriptions but if nothing changes then I will be looking at other publishers.

mrshu

Post by mrshu »

I have been buying my copy of AI magazine from my newsagent for the past 30 years. I don't subscribe because I don't trust the mail service to deliver a pristine copy of my favourite magazine to my door each and every month!
If there has been "ONE THING" - BEN that has set this magazine apart from all the others, then it is the variety and mix of aviation stories, features etc etc etc and so on!!!
Why have you decided "RIGHT OUT OF THE BLUE" to change a winning formula??? I'm totally mystified, especially having read all the posts on this forum. I don't get it at all??? I think the time has come for you to "FINALLY" get on this forum and explain to those that feel a little less than enthusiastic about the changes made. I for one want to hear all about the latest aviation news, civil and military, and in a magazine that has done so very well for over 40 years! Is that so much to ask???
So over to you to please put my mind at rest to explain why you and your editorial team feel that you have done the right thing.

As has been stated already

RIP Aircraft "ILLUSTRATED"!!! A great name for a great magazine with a great history and following!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Well, I'm definitely in a minority (of one!) here, but personally I like the new mag; its promising. I've found a lot more to read in this issue than the average copy of AI; some well written prose and subjects covered in depth. With the much bigger airshow section too, its a thumbs up from me.

I used to skip swathes of AI; in trying to cover everything it inevitably devoted pages to stuff that some readers (me!) had either no or just a passing interest in.

I'll give it another go next month for sure.

robt

Post by robt »

@ghostrider1: So what reason did they give at Legends for the revamp? I was there myself and saw Ben at the stand but was a little shy to walk up and broach the subject.

I remember the commentator (the English one, not Bernard whatsisname) at Legends on Sunday saying "nothing gets better, almost everything seems to get worse." (His point was that Legends bucks that trend.) Wise words indeed. The sad thing is how utterly powerless we feel when things that are "obviously" worse are forced upon us.

40 years of AI is discarded in one fell swoop, and there's not a damn thing you or I can do about it.

Of course, the people at AI will be following this discussion closely, but they'll always have in the back of their minds the reasoning that "forums are not necessarily representative of the general readership." I'm sure they are confident that a silent majority are very happy with the change.

ghostrider1

Post by ghostrider1 »

Hi Robt

I am not sure which one was Ben. The guy seemed to be a bit resigned over the fact that they changed the magazine and for us to send in thoughts on the new magazine. He just said they were looking for a new approach.

ghostrider1

Post by ghostrider1 »

Hi Robt

I am not sure which one was Ben. The guy seemed to be a bit resigned over the fact that they changed the magazine and for us to send in thoughts on the new magazine. He just said they were looking for a new approach.

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Well, I'm definitely in a minority (of one!) here, but personally I like the new mag; its promising. I've found a lot more to read in this issue than the average copy of AI; some well written prose and subjects covered in depth. With the much bigger airshow section too, its a thumbs up from me.

I used to skip swathes of AI; in trying to cover everything it inevitably devoted pages to stuff that some readers (me!) had either no or just a passing interest in.

My thoughts too. The airshow section is excellent and another plus point for me is that the standard of photography in it is still very very high. The Golden Hawk shots are fantastic, and Dr Zeitler's Me163/Reds composition in the La Ferte review is just brilliant! And, yeah, there's lots in there to interest me, to the extent that I've already read more of it than I would the average AI...

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Lomcevak26 wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:Well, I'm definitely in a minority (of one!) here, but personally I like the new mag; its promising. I've found a lot more to read in this issue than the average copy of AI; some well written prose and subjects covered in depth. With the much bigger airshow section too, its a thumbs up from me.

My thoughts too. The airshow section is excellent and another plus point for me is that the standard of photography in it is still very very high. The Golden Hawk shots are fantastic, and Dr Zeitler's Me163/Reds composition in the La Ferte review is just brilliant! And, yeah, there's lots in there to interest me, to the extent that I've already read more of it than I would the average AI...

Likewise. My aviation interests lie primarily with historic and vintage aviation so obviously the new format suits me. I think people are quick to judge the magazine (cancelling subscriptions already) without giving it a chance. Why not wait a few months to see if the new format still interests you before making a decision?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the new edition on Saturday morning (sitting in the car waiting for the rain to pass over at Legends!) and as Mr Lomcevak has said, there are plenty of interesting articles that I'd have thought would have interest to any aviation enthusiasts. The articles are well written and the airshow section has thankfully expanded considerably. I'd almost certainly agree that I read more in this issue than in the 'old style' of AI, but it's down to personal taste I suppose.

I was also pleased to see a multi-page La Ferte Alais review. Not many magazines still provide thorough airshow reviews (Flypast, for example, seems to cover the majority of shows with a page of photographs and little in the way of text). It was refreshing to see the display discussed in more depth than most mags; more of the same, please!

Besides, it's always good to read articles about real aircraft. :handbag:

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

EMarsh wrote:I was also pleased to see a multi-page La Ferte Alais review. Not many magazines still provide thorough airshow reviews (Flypast, for example, seems to cover the majority of shows with a page of photographs and little in the way of text). It was refreshing to see the display discussed in more depth than most mags; more of the same, please!

Absolutely, 100% agree. Same for the airshow news section - much more comprehensive and detailed than we've become used to in other mags.

EMarsh wrote:Besides, it's always good to read articles about real aircraft. :handbag:

Ooooh...you might be playing with fire there chap! :grin:

EMarsh wrote:Mr Lomcevak

:rock: :grin:

In a Maze

Post by In a Maze »

Please please can I have my old AI back.

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

I still see it as a huge mistake by them. The articles in the 'new' mag could have been incorporated into the 'old' one easily along with the regular stuff on mil and civil and the news sections and they could have expanded the airshow review/preview section. That is precisely what made AI so good, the mix and balance.

Interestingly at RIAT Ben Dunnell commentated on the historic aircraft and not the modern mil stuff - so I saw where his bias lays, putting 2+2 together I would say that he is one of the driving forces behind the change.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

zigzag wrote: - so I saw where his bias lays, putting 2+2 together I would say that he is one of the driving forces behind the change.

Pretty sure that its market forces/research that are behind the change, and he owes it to his employees and crediters to keep the magazine as successful as possible - especially with the 'net making a dent in the market.