Do you want the old Aircraft Illustrated Back? [POLL]

News about 'Aircraft' and 'Combat Aircraft' magazines

Do you want the old Aircraft Illustrated Back?

I want AI back!
37%
I want AI back!
37%
I like the new 'Classic' Aircraft format - Keep that
7%
I like the new 'Classic' Aircraft format - Keep that
7%
I don't care
7%
I don't care
7%

Total votes: 320

lba747

Re: Do you want the old Aircraft Illustrated Back? [POLL]

Post by lba747 »

Miss the Old A I and the balance of old and new aircraft. Tried Air Internation for a bit but was not keen on it has it was too modern day. Now getting Aviation News just as good as AI with lots of stuff about old and new and something pulled from AI 5-10 years back a register revue of the changes on CAA"s list of aircraft. If Ian Allan do decide to bring the old A I back I will start buying it again :vulcan:
I hope one day to see a A380 at LBA

Craig

Post by Craig »

Have bought the odd "new" Aircraft Illustrated, but there's often nothing in it that interests me so wouldn't even contemplate a subscription. I just don't know why they've gone for an area of the market that's already well covered, and the magazines that well cover that area are running out of ideas at times as it is. Don't see why a lot of what's in the new mag couldn't have been incorporated into the old without the wholesale changes. Yes I no longer like end to end F-16 articles any more than I like end to end Spitfire restorations, and it seems that's the choice really.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Craig wrote:I just don't know why they've gone for an area of the market that's already well covered, and the magazines that well cover that area are running out of ideas at times as it is.

Market research strongly suggested that a historical slant is what people wanted to see, or so I understand.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Very nice Spitfire picture at the bottom of the page on the review of the Duxford BBMF event at the back of the mag. :whistle:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

EMarsh wrote:
Market research strongly suggested that a historical slant is what people wanted to see, or so I understand.

To the exclusion of just about everything else?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Making an assumption here, but if Key's purchase of the similarly catch-all themed Aviation News was due to that magazine struggling for sales, then there clearly is a reason to get out of that market.

Logically, if magazines are losing out to the internet, then it's particularly the 'newsy' issues, such as the old format of AI, that would suffer most.

Craig

Post by Craig »

PhilW wrote:Making an assumption here, but if Key's purchase of the similarly catch-all themed Aviation News was due to that magazine struggling for sales, then there clearly is a reason to get out of that market.

Logically, if magazines are losing out to the internet, then it's particularly the 'newsy' issues, such as the old format of AI, that would suffer most.

Aviation News just isn't very good though (in my opinion). It's very dry, uninventive and lacks anything "new". That's nothing to do with the magazine's "catch all" nature though, it's due to an inability to come up with something different. Yet another article on a Spitfire restoration is no more likely to get me to buy a magazine though than one on yet another F-16 ANG unit. Yes people like historic aviation, and there's some very good articles on the subject, but think AI threw the baby out with the bathwater.