First Issue of Aircraft Illustrated - is it worth anything

News about 'Aircraft' and 'Combat Aircraft' magazines
terryads

First Issue of Aircraft Illustrated - is it worth anything

Post by terryads »

Hi
In my loft I have a copy of the very first issue of Aircraft Illustrated which I bought when I was a boy back in the sixties. Are these worth anything (I actually have about the first two years worth). What would be the best way of going about selling them - I have no idea about these things and don't want to get ripped off, but on the other hand there is no point in being unrealistic ......
Cheers
Terry

Lomcevak26

Re: First Issue of Aircraft Illustrated - is it worth anything

Post by Lomcevak26 »

I'd say yes but possibly not megabucks. It's got historical value on several counts: 1/ because it's old (!), 2/ because it's the first in the series, 3/ because AI per se doesn't exist any more.

Suggest maybe speaking to the likes of Magazine Exchange. Possibly wouldn't advise selling directly to them as they likely wouldn't offer that much (bearing in mind they have to order it, scan and list parts of it and then make money on it themselves!), but they may well be able to offer advice on value. Suggest from there consider Ebay (lots of aviation mag buyers out there!) or try listing them in the For Sale or Wanted forum on here.

Whatever you do: good luck with it.

Cheers
Paul

AlexC

Re: First Issue of Aircraft Illustrated - is it worth anything

Post by AlexC »

I've also got the first copy of AI, as well as every one up to the time of the magazines sad demise. Not selling though!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP