Aircraft Illustrated — March 2009

News about 'Aircraft' and 'Combat Aircraft' magazines
Ben Dunnell

Aircraft Illustrated — March 2009

Post by Ben Dunnell »

The March issue of Aircraft comes out on Friday 13 February. Here's a preview of the contents...

UK AIRLINES 2009
Our annual supplement comes free with the March issue, listing every one of the UK's airlines and every one of their aircraft, compiled as ever by industry expert Günter Endres.

Concorde — 40 years on
Celebrating the 40th anniversary of Concorde's maiden flight, Bruce Hales-Dutton talks to six men who were there when 002 first took to the air from Filton on 9 April 1969, including two of the test crew, the chase pilot and former Government minister Tony Benn.

The Aircraft Defence Review
Jon Lake analyses the background to the current funding crisis affecting the UK's air arms in part one of our very own Defence Review.

A350 — brave new world
Andreas Spaeth examines how Airbus is putting important lessons to good use in its latest airliner programme.

A greener future?
Recent tests have highlighted the latest developments in alternative fuels for commercial aircraft. Andreas Spaeth witnessed Continental's first steps into this brave new green world.

'Blacksnakes' of Indiana
The Indiana ANG's 122nd FW/163rd FS has painted an F-16C to salute the P-47s of the wartime 358th FG. Robert F. Dorr looks at the proud heritage of the modern-day Guard unit, with exclusive photographs by Katsuhiko Tokunaga.

The hills are alive...
Big changes have been afoot at Salzburg Airport, as Dr Andreas Zeitler discovers.

KLM celebration
Exclusive air-to-airs by Ben Ullings of the 'retrojet' Boeing 737-800 painted up to mark KLM's 90th anniversary.

Nuclear power
It's caused a minor sensation in the German press — now read about it in Aircraft. Stefan Büttner uncovers the history of the Soviet air forces' nuclear-capable assets in the Warsaw Pact countries.

PLUS — 18 pages of news including special reports on the Hudson River A320 accident, delays to the A400M and the maiden flight of Peter Teichman's Hurricane • Updated airshow calendar • A profile of Serbia's Stars display team

Hope you enjoy it!

pikey01

Re: Aircraft Illustrated — March 2009

Post by pikey01 »

And quite a nice advert on the last page :grin:

ulverstonfgr4

Post by ulverstonfgr4 »

Excellent issue "Blacksnakes of Indiana" air to airs top draw :clap: :clap: :clap:

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Nice issue again and very thought provoking article by Jon Lake on the Defence Review. I think we're missing a bit though! The side-bar on Cold War Realities: 30 years on suddenly stops mid-sentence and doesn't seme to continue anywhere else!
Simon

Ben Dunnell

Post by Ben Dunnell »

Well spotted! The missing word is 'last'. Something must have happened between my signing that page off and it being printed, because I'd corrected the text over-run.

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

Got my copy sent out to the airfield in the 'stan. Nice to have a decent read. Anything planned from this part of the world in the near future?

Ben Dunnell

Post by Ben Dunnell »

Epic Formacion wrote:Got my copy sent out to the airfield in the 'stan. Nice to have a decent read. Anything planned from this part of the world in the near future?

Thanks! Nothing specific from there lined up at present, I'm afraid.