Harvo266

Re: Yeovilton Air Day 2016

Post by Harvo266 »

2x RNLAF F-16's confirmed for static :)
Nikon D500

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Harvo266 wrote:2x RNLAF F-16's confirmed for static :)

Certainly going to be a good static line up and maybe more to come.

alans895

Post by alans895 »

BBMF Lancaster Cancelled.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

alans895 wrote:BBMF Lancaster Cancelled.

Guess they were waiting for written confirmation but not surprising as they have been saying for awhile now they expect their first flight to be RIAT.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

King Air T1 added to the static.

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

A question for the regulars to this show, i'm thinking of going for the first time this year and thinking of going to the Swordfish enclosure before? So my question is how good is it for Photos?

any advice will me very much appreciated.

Wes...

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

MIG-15 arrived this afternoon :smile:

RS2

Post by RS2 »

wezgulf3 wrote:A question for the regulars to this show, i'm thinking of going for the first time this year and thinking of going to the Swordfish enclosure before? So my question is how good is it for Photos?

Wes...

When we have been in the past tables were allocated on a first booked basis from the front of the enclosure back. Generally unless you are a group of 4 you will be on a table with others. Most sat so photography was okay but not the done thing to stand in front of others so runway shots were a bit limited. Unfortunately last 2 times I've been in their a couple took it on their selves to stand on seats for finale to get better shots. , very selfish and had a ripple effect. Did complain but navy staff looked like they'd had enough by this point and with the ripple effect it would have been almost impossible to stop. Signs or a reminder were needed to stamp it out before it started. Generally very relaxed and I enjoyed it apart from the standing on the seats for the assault. Sadly 2 bad experiences of that and we haven't been back to the enclosure.

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

RS2 wrote:
wezgulf3 wrote:A question for the regulars to this show, i'm thinking of going for the first time this year and thinking of going to the Swordfish enclosure before? So my question is how good is it for Photos?

Wes...

When we have been in the past tables were allocated on a first booked basis from the front of the enclosure back. Generally unless you are a group of 4 you will be on a table with others. Most sat so photography was okay but not the done thing to stand in front of others so runway shots were a bit limited. Unfortunately last 2 times I've been in their a couple took it on their selves to stand on seats for finale to get better shots. , very selfish and had a ripple effect. Did complain but navy staff looked like they'd had enough by this point and with the ripple effect it would have been almost impossible to stop. Signs or a reminder were needed to stamp it out before it started. Generally very relaxed and I enjoyed it apart from the standing on the seats for the assault. Sadly 2 bad experiences of that and we haven't been back to the enclosure.

Thank you for the info, certainly got me thinking now! i would assume you canleave the enclosure to get around the static if required?

Wes...

roberto

Post by roberto »

Harvo266 wrote:2x RNLAF F-16's confirmed for static :)

from 322sqn

AMB

Post by AMB »

Andyperkins wrote:King Air T1 added to the static.

Hope it's the special scheme one that was on Cosford's static?
Adrian

john001

Post by john001 »

Anyone confirm that there are horrendous roadworks on A303 westbound after Stonehenge?

RS2

Post by RS2 »

wezgulf3 wrote:
RS2 wrote:

Wes...

Thank you for the info, certainly got me thinking now! i would assume you canleave the enclosure to get around the static if required?

Wes...

Hi Wes,

Yes you can come and go from the enclosure as you want plus parking is right behind the enclosure on the airfield which is a big advantage if mobility is an issue. For a relaxing day it is a nice enclosure with the freedom to come and go as you want, leave stuff in the car close at hand, own toilets, own bar etc etc. For a die hard photographer its possibly not the best choice unless you were on the tables at the front, photography isn't impossible, flying shots are fine but runway shots limited, and if people don't stand on the chairs then its a great spot to watch the whole show. You are located just left of crowd centre and in the past the final pair of junglies have been in the hover just infront of the enclosure. I wouldn't write it off, I probably need to do it again and just have a word about the standing on seats thing right at the start of the day when its not on anyones mind, a simple no standing on seats / tables or you will be asked top leave sign would suffice I'm sure. Also probably best booked as early as possible so that you get the further forward tables. Of course you also have a marquee to provide cover from the weather if required.

Hope that helps.
Paul.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

john001 wrote:Anyone confirm that there are horrendous roadworks on A303 westbound after Stonehenge?

Lane closure between A36 & A350 westbound. However is scheduled to be finished by Thursday

john001

Post by john001 »

Thanks

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

RS2 wrote:
wezgulf3 wrote:
RS2 wrote:

Wes...

Wes...

Hi Wes,

Yes you can come and go from the enclosure as you want plus parking is right behind the enclosure on the airfield which is a big advantage if mobility is an issue. For a relaxing day it is a nice enclosure with the freedom to come and go as you want, leave stuff in the car close at hand, own toilets, own bar etc etc. For a die hard photographer its possibly not the best choice unless you were on the tables at the front, photography isn't impossible, flying shots are fine but runway shots limited, and if people don't stand on the chairs then its a great spot to watch the whole show. You are located just left of crowd centre and in the past the final pair of junglies have been in the hover just infront of the enclosure. I wouldn't write it off, I probably need to do it again and just have a word about the standing on seats thing right at the start of the day when its not on anyones mind, a simple no standing on seats / tables or you will be asked top leave sign would suffice I'm sure. Also probably best booked as early as possible so that you get the further forward tables. Of course you also have a marquee to provide cover from the weather if required.

Hope that helps.
Paul.

Paul, It helped a lot thank you. booked the Swordfish enclosure so i will see how it turn s out!

Wes...

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

Does anyone know the unit that the Belgian F16 is coming from?

Ben

K213

Post by K213 »

What has arrived for the static already ( heard that the Mig-15) may already be at the airfield ?

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

K213 wrote:What has arrived for the static already ( heard that the Mig-15) may already be at the airfield ?

The majority arrives on the Friday but I believe the B-17 and MIG-15 are already there and of course the Sea Vixen.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

The RAF Typhoon is most likely basing out of Cardiff for the weekend so we probably won't see it take-off/land :sad:
Nikon D500

K213

Post by K213 »

Thanks for the updates on what may already be at Yeovilton - much appreciated.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Harvo266 wrote:The RAF Typhoon is most likely basing out of Cardiff for the weekend so we probably won't see it take-off/land :sad:

That would be a shame, much prefer when it is based out of Yeovilton so we get multiple take offs/landings throughout the day :biggrin:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Andyperkins wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:The RAF Typhoon is most likely basing out of Cardiff for the weekend so we probably won't see it take-off/land :sad:

That would be a shame, much prefer when it is based out of Yeovilton so we get multiple take offs/landings throughout the day :biggrin:

I know, I really hope they do come to VLN, as it would also mean i could meet Mark - the new pilot
Nikon D500

Hifonics

Post by Hifonics »

I am a bit worried about the forecast at the moment on the Met Office site. Looking like rain and wind :(

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Hifonics wrote:I am a bit worried about the forecast at the moment on the Met Office site. Looking like rain and wind :(

I have already come to terms with the fact it won't be a repeat of the weather we have enjoyed the last 3 years, at the moment the forecast is looking like a repeat of 2011 which will mean a fair bit of cloud about with scattered showers resulting in a lot of flat displays but also some great vapor trails and spray that is assuming the showers don't miss the airfield completely which I have seen happen, still remember standing at a show in the 90s in a circle of perfect weather while all around you could see black clouds and the raining thundering down.

Dress for rain and enjoy whatever manages to display I say :smile: