Season Premiere 21

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Mooshie1956

Season Premiere 21

Post by Mooshie1956 »

A quick question, both myself and son in law are thinking of going to this, do we book 1 car space or 2. As it stands we cannot travel together officially. So what do we do ?. It seems such a shame to book a space that could be used by others, just because we cannot travel in the same car.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

bizfreeq

Re: Season Premier 21

Post by bizfreeq »

As things stand you can't travel at all at the moment. You can't ask a question like this basing it on what is happening now, because no one can answer it and no one knows what the restrictions will be when the show happens, if it happens.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021, 4:19 pm
A quick question, both myself and son in law are thinking of going to this, do we book 1 car space or 2. As it stands we cannot travel together officially. So what do we do ?. It seems such a shame to book a space that could be used by others, just because we cannot travel in the same car.
I attended 2 great shows at Old Warden last year and based on my experience there if you are taking 2 cars you will need 2 spaces. They were both extremely well organised and well worth attending. To the best of my knowledge there were no health repercussions from eiither air show. Whilst the other respondent is quite correct no one knows what the situation will be in May I`m an optimist and have booked my ticket for this event and a couple of others. Travelling from Cornwall I have also booked accommodation as I do not want to miss an opportunity of a show at Old Warden. The collection needs all the help it can get at the momnent and I am happy to do my small bit towards that.

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

I've got a ticket for this but I'm scratching my head over yesterday's roadmap announcement which precludes outdoor events at scale until May 17th at the earliest. Would the season premier count in the same way as a drive-in cinema though because those are allowed from April 12th?

Mike

Post by Mike »

That's pretty much how the early ones were run last year, you had to stay within your 5m x 5m car space except for visiting the toilets or food vendors.

I don't see any reason why the May shows could not go ahead on that basis again.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Travelling from Cornwall I have also booked accommodation [/quote]

Yesterdays roadmap, though very welcome, gives me a problem with this air show. It`s a five and a half hour journey each way for me so unless things change and hotels are allowed to open earlier than stated at the moment, I will not be able to attend. I`m hoping Boris will eventually be able to amends his roadmap and allow hotels to open before 17th. May. Either way I hope it will be a good show.

Post by 5944 »

Xray833 wrote:
Tue 23 Feb 2021, 2:54 pm
Travelling from Cornwall I have also booked accommodation
Yesterdays roadmap, though very welcome, gives me a problem with this air show. It`s a five and a half hour journey each way for me so unless things change and hotels are allowed to open earlier than stated at the moment, I will not be able to attend. I`m hoping Boris will eventually be able to amends his roadmap and allow hotels to open before 17th. May. Either way I hope it will be a good show.
[/quote]
Air BnB or a holiday cottage for a couple of nights somewhere is another option. That's what my parents are doing when they come down at the end of April for a couple of nights. Not for an airshow though!

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Thank you 5944 I`ll see what might be available if the roadmap isn`t amended in the next couple of weeks.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

P47- Thunderbolt Displaying

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Tickets are not far off RIAT prices (yeh I know, what's RIAT?) for this show. Shuttleworth know if shows happen they have a strong format with the drive ins and can make hay.
They must be confident the pent up demand will let them charge those prices...

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

UKTopgun wrote:
Tickets are not far off RIAT prices (yeh I know, what's RIAT?) for this show. Shuttleworth know if shows happen they have a strong format with the drive ins and can make hay.
They must be confident the pent up demand will let them charge those prices...
Alternatively, the show will cost as much (if not more considering the anti-Covid measures) to stage but the audience will be much smaller due to social distancing, So either Shuttleworth makes a loss on the show or charges higher prices.

Some people can only see the negative in everything.....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Struggling to see where I am being negative? The prices are high, it's a fact. But I appreciate why and that the collection will have made a judgement on the prices they feel they can set. Jeez.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Re: Season Premiere 21

Post by itfcscott »

VISITING AIRCRAFT

PBY Catalina (Plane Sailing Air Displays Limited)
P-47D Thunderbolt (Fighter Aviation Engineering Limited)
Miles Magister (David Bramwell)

SHUTTLEWORTH COLLECTION AIRCRAFT

Hawker Sea Hurricane 1B
Comper Swift
de Havilland Tiger Moth
Avro Tutor
Gloster Gladiator
de Havilland Chipmunk
Percival Provost
Supermarine Spitfire Vc
Miles Magister
Westland Lysander
Polikarpov Po-2
Avro 504K
Sopwith Camel
Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Triplane
Bristol M.1C
Bristol F.2B Fighter
English Electric Wren
Edwardians: Blériot, Deperdussin, Blackburn Monoplane, Bristol Boxkite, Avro Triplane*
*Conditions must be optimal in order for Edwardian aircraft to fly. All aircraft subject to serviceability and weather.
https://www.shuttleworth.org/seasonpremiere-aircraft/

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Looks like The Thunderbolt has gone off the list replaced by Hispano Buchon (The Aircraft Restoration Company)

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

That’s a shame, although John Romain’s Buchon display at the Season Premiere Airshow in (?) 2015 was brilliant.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Yeah that is a shame. I do like the P-47, and they even went and put it on the show poster!

'Sadly due to unforeseen circumstances, the P-47D Thunderbolt will no longer be displaying.'

I hope it is nothing serious.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Cole

Post by Cole »

Just brought tickets.. first time to a Shuttleworth show for me :)
Canon 750D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um.. :rofl:

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Cole wrote:
Mon 12 Apr 2021, 3:18 pm
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did on my first visit. I still love the place but I'm holding off going until later in the season, I'm still not sure about being around to many people even with the social distancing they have put in place.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Mon 12 Apr 2021, 5:57 pm
Cole wrote:
Mon 12 Apr 2021, 3:18 pm
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did on my first visit. I still love the place but I'm holding off going until later in the season, I'm still not sure about being around to many people even with the social distancing they have put in place.
Cole you will love it. A great atmosphere and show exceptionally well organised. The only possible drawback would be the weather and no one can organise that.

The way the shows were organised last year, and I think it will be the same this year for the start anyway, you didn`t need to get out of your car if you did not wish to. The 5 metre squares allow plenty of room for a picnic table and chair/s and food and toilets are easliiy reached by the wide isles. I had no worries last year and with the vaccinations will not this year. Btw if you have one bring a portable radio for the commentary as the p/a system is only used for announcements at the start of the show. This makes for a very nice relaxed time as you can hear the aircraft, even the gliders whistling as they come in.