Season Premiere 21

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Alpha Delta 210

Re: Season Premiere 21

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

If it is the same as last year, vehicles are marshalled into a large field in four lines and are called forward line by line to the ticket validation area before being directed into the parking area. (I hope that makes sense!)

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Same as when I last went then, thanks.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

This time there were more than six lines of cars in that field. I was in lane 6 towards the front and there was at least one more lane. The gates were supposed to open at 10.00 but nothing started moving until at least 10.20 and it then took ages before getting parked up. Disappointing. Why leave it til 10 to open the gates when they knew it was a sellout and why build in a bottleneck to check tickets? Make more lanes - simples.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Blackbird wrote:
Sun 02 May 2021, 3:48 pm
Why leave it til 10 to open the gates when they knew it was a sellout and why build in a bottleneck to check tickets? Make more lanes - simples.
Loads and loads of reasons including.

Time volunteers start on duty or have been advised (months prior) to arrive.
Insurance cover starting at a specific time.
Agreements with the authorities over Covid-secure arrangements being from a specific time.
Agreed start times in advance with emergency services as part of emergency planning (agreed months in advance).
... and on and on and ariston...

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

I went only cos of no other air shows for months probably like many others.

1/10 for vfm for this event. The lines of cars in that field holding was something I didnt expect but I cant complain about the 30-40 min wait. Thats why I turned up at 1200, there is zilch to do there if you arrive earlier.

Displays not exciting and random, too spaced and also too far away in some cases.

The burger/fish and chip van ran out of burgers by 1530!! Hence big queue for the one other place, no idea what it sold as I didnt hang around. Was out the door by 1630.

Two adults £78 in car. Rip off tbh charging for a car, that's Fairford prices when split.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

boff180 wrote:
Sun 02 May 2021, 4:09 pm
Blackbird wrote:
Sun 02 May 2021, 3:48 pm
Why leave it til 10 to open the gates when they knew it was a sellout and why build in a bottleneck to check tickets? Make more lanes - simples.
Loads and loads of reasons including.

Time volunteers start on duty or have been advised (months prior) to arrive.
Insurance cover starting at a specific time.
Agreements with the authorities over Covid-secure arrangements being from a specific time.
Agreed start times in advance with emergency services as part of emergency planning (agreed months in advance).
... and on and on and ariston...
True as that may be, it beggars belief that organisers could be that short-sighted. Why have the insurance, volunteers etc etc in place for so much later than a show held in "normal" circumstances?

The flying was good, although some acts were somewhat distant as The Master has said,- but others weren't. I'd rate at more than 1/10, probably around 4 or5 but I bought my ticket so long ago I can't remember what it cost. The catering is overwhelmed at the best of times. It's as though no one has told them it's a show day. I bought a couple of sandwiches in the cafe when I arrived which was fine.

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

Soon after I arrived in the holding field at 10:30 and was placed into lane 7, the field built up to 10 lanes but lane 1 had started to be moved in. As lane 5 got moving, the stewards started refilling lane 1-3 again with new cars, a few of whom got "confused" and tried to join the back of the queue of the moving lane 6. They were swiftly told to get back to the new queues. I eventually got parked at 11.30.

I think they could have made better use of the holding field by checking tickets during the ~1 hour waiting period rather than as someone pointed out making another checkpoint further along. I can appreciate why the holding field is used though and can agree it's a good alternative to clogging up the road outside and inching along in a queue for an hour as we all turned our engines off and some of us got out of our cars for fresh air. The small narrow roads around the village aren't really capable of holding a queue of any size so it's probably the best solution available to them.

One slightly irksome problem came to the parking direction which ended up being a bit random with the filling order. We were directed to start filling a fresh row of parking leading up towards the walls of the house and the playground when there were still plenty of spaces on the field in the "closer" rows. Some other cars from lane 9 were then later directed to park in these closer rows to fill the gaps and I spotted a ticketholder remonstrating with a marshall over it a little while later which I don't agree with, annoying as it may have been.

The downside of being a drive-in format is if, like me, you ended up being parked much further back it becomes nigh on impossible from a photography hobby point of view as there's no opportunity to move out of your predesignated "car box" to get some closer shots. Having said that, the newly introduced "pedestrian" boxes were tiny but on the plus side were right out front!

The poor staff on the burger van were being run slightly ragged but the burger was ok for £7-£7.50. Could have done with the option of some chips but alas would probably have tipped the poor soul over the edge.

The BBMF had a blink and you'll miss it couple of passes before they were away, the Catalina was impressive and lovely to see.

I left at about 17.20 after the Buchon but there were still a good 60-70% people there as far as I could see and was out the gate within 3 minutes and back on the road.

I'd give it a 6/10 as I think Shuttleworth are probably doing the best they can with the drive in format, the staff and volunteers should be applauded for their efforts. I won't bother going early again (I normally drive straight in at 1pm for a 2pm start) and will just take the leisurely approach again.

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

My burger van (that didnt have burgers) was £3.50 not £7! I would never pay that. In fact for once I took in my own beer and ice. Im not into photos like many but the distance I would have thought was ok for even the most basic 300mm zoom?

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Have to say despite the day being enjoyable I don’t think it reached the dizzy heights of the price of tickets for quality, the tickets are a lot and then it’s an extra £10 for the parking space, basically with fuel it was a £150 for an afternoon air display 3 hours long.

Have to say though all the pilots flew the displays beautifully especially the Catalina, Buchon and I’m sure a few others I’m forgetting.

Not sure I’ll return to old warden until you can view the museum etc, as parking in a white box in a field for that much money can’t be justified.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I too felt tickets were bit pricey, and did not go in the end. But hey guys, I know it's tempting to moan about food, traffic etc but heck, an airshow during the pandemic can't be taken for granted so well done OW!

AMB

Post by AMB »

Mike wrote:
Tue 20 Apr 2021, 3:41 pm
Sea Fury T20 added too! :-)
..which sadly crashed four days earlier!!
Adrian

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

I quite enjoyed my day out at Warden last Sunday, despite the initial delays getting in. Admittedly we were very fortunate to be placed in an excellent spot (opposite the tower/shack 😁), from where to watch the display, but it was purely luck of the draw. There were some great performances, especially from the Catalina, the Buchon and Comet. Although I thought the Spitfire's act was somewhat conservative and the BBMF were very lacklustre, in fact they were flash in the pan. Eats (wise), we brought out own, I can't be doing with long queues and extortionate prices. I have no sympathy for those who whinge and cry about the food vendors, if they cannot be bothered to simply take a butty, then they can't complain.
On the whole considering its been over a year since my last show, I thought it was a successful day, even our old friend the weather behaved (some extent). 9/10😊👍
I've already booked for the Military Pageant in July. I wonder if the Covid measures will have been relaxed by then?
...and it's a fair-haired slightly balding Bobby Charlton to kick off!

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Hmm, was thinking about attending the next show but think I will give it a miss based on some of the comments here. Good on OW for having a go during these testing times though...

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

BrawlerO wrote:
Mon 03 May 2021, 7:35 pm
Hmm, was thinking about attending the next show but think I will give it a miss based on some of the comments here. Good on OW for having a go during these testing times though...
If you do give it a miss you will miss an excellent, well organised event. Don`t judge any show by comments on social media, go for yourself and then decide. Personally, I really enjoyed the show on Sunday and do not have any negative comments to make. Delays getting in are a theme of most air shows so a small delay at the start of the day made no difference at all as the flying was not listed to start until 14.00. And when it did, the opening display by the Catalina was a cracker. The remainder of the programme was equally good and concluded with John Romain`s superb display in the Buchon.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I agree with Xray833. Shows at Old Warden are always well organised, friendly and relaxed, so don't let comments on social media put anyone off. I'm sure that regulations will ease as the summer progresses as it did last year so if you're happy with ticket prices and the line up, then just go for it. Personally, I really enjoyed being back at OW on Sunday, the flying was good and it was so nice to have the sun on my back again after so long. I've not been anywhere other than my local supermarket since September. I particularly enjoyed seeing John Romain in the Buchon giving a very polished display and the Catalina gave a very good display as well. They were my standouts in what was a very enjoyable day overall.

As regards comments about delays getting in, I was at the end of line two in the main field holding area and while there was a short delay of about 20 minutes to getting moving (as described above), once we did start, we moved on quite quickly and ticket checks were very efficient. There appeared to be a 'pre-holding area' in front of the main holding area so that might account for some of the apparent initial delay. Parking did appear to be somewhat random so I can understand why some people might be frustrated. I wasn't completely happy with my position but there must have been a reason for their methods so I just made the best of it. Once parked, there wasn't much to do other than wait, but that was as expected. Flying started at 14.00 as planned though I didn't check what time flying finished, I think it was around 17.30 against the planned 18.00 had the Edwardians flown, but they are weather dependant. There appeared to be enough toilets and hand sanitation points as I didn't have to queue at all. Exiting was a breeze.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

I visited one of the drive in shows last year and ended up being parked right in the corner near the campsite, which resulted in half of the display area / flight line obstructed by trees.

Obviously it's luck of the draw to know where you'll be parked, but the admission costs didn't justify the view then. With that in mind, I gave the show a miss yesterday and will wait for the "normal" shows to return, hopefully in the 2nd half of the season.

The organisers will rightly say it's priced on supply and demand after the losses of 2020...and when you consider it was a sell out, they got it right.

Jimbo27

Post by Jimbo27 »

In the interest of fairness, worth pointing out that BBMF have not had their PDA yet, so unable to carry out a display. They did a couple of fly pasts I believe.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks. That gives some context.

Andy

xr221

Post by xr221 »

For those that went to the first UK Airshow of 2021 at Shuttleworth (Old Warden) last Sunday and want to see it again, or for those that didn't go, here's a film of the first UK Airshow display act of 2021 - The Catalina Society's PBY-5A Catalina 'Miss Pick Up'

Well done and congratulations to Shuttleworth for putting together and running another superb airshow in difficult circumstances and to the Catalina and crew for being 'the first of many'!

Steve.