Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Mike

Military Air Show 4th July 2021

Post by Mike »

Now sold out

rdchawk

Re: Military Air Show 4th July 2021

Post by rdchawk »

Sold out with no hint or whiff of a participants list.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Wow, that’s a shame, I was hoping to attend that one. (Good for Shuttleworth I suppose).
Might be another Shuttleworth free season for me at this rate…

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

A ridiculous situation creating more ridiculous scenarios.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Blimey, was going to book my tickets today for this... Ah well...

Mike

Post by Mike »

capercaillie wrote:
Mon 07 Jun 2021, 11:59 am
Why?

There are a limited number of tickets available because of Covid restrictions, Shuttleworth have always been up-front about that. They've been advertised and available for sale for weeks now. There are a limited number of airshows elsewhere in the UK this year so demand was always going to be high. Those who want to go have had plenty of time to get a ticket. So why is it suddenly "a ridiculous situation" that they've now sold out?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mike wrote:
Mon 07 Jun 2021, 12:16 pm
capercaillie wrote:
Mon 07 Jun 2021, 11:59 am
Why?

There are a limited number of tickets available because of Covid restrictions, Shuttleworth have always been up-front about that. They've been advertised and available for sale for weeks now. There are a limited number of airshows elsewhere in the UK this year so demand was always going to be high. Those who want to go have had plenty of time to get a ticket. So why is it suddenly "a ridiculous situation" that they've now sold out?
You seem to have read my sentence arse about face? But thank you for the explanation, a great insight, who knew?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

BrawlerO wrote:
Mon 07 Jun 2021, 11:18 am
Wow, that’s a shame, I was hoping to attend that one. (Good for Shuttleworth I suppose).
Might be another Shuttleworth free season for me at this rate…
Can always watch it from Ickwell Cricket Club and green.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Writing as an SVAS member, I find it disappointing that no advance warning that ticket limits are about to be reached was given, not just for this event but for any. After all, other events manage to publicise when tickets are beginning to run out. I renewed my SVAS membership once again this year, not for any advantages but to support the collection. I'm finding year on year that there are fewer reasons to continue my membership. I'm happy for the collection that it is another sell out event, I would just like to see some more communication.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

If you wanted to go why didn't you buy a ticket? I can think of hundreds of events that happen every year where no advance warning is given that tickets are running out. Not to mention I've also seen people on this forum complaining about ticket sale updates saying they are just trying to get people to buy a ticket.

Post by 5944 »

Gt5500 wrote:
Tue 08 Jun 2021, 8:49 am
If you wanted to go why didn't you buy a ticket? I can think of hundreds of events that happen every year where no advance warning is given that tickets are running out. Not to mention I've also seen people on this forum complaining about ticket sale updates saying they are just trying to get people to buy a ticket.
Most events list what they expect to attend beforehand. It's just over 3 weeks until the show and not even a hint from Shuttleworth of what they expect to display. The only aircraft I've seen mentioned are the Gazelle Squadron.

I was tempted to get a ticket, but the drive in format doesn't appeal enough for me to risk £40 on, especially as you don't know what you're getting. I'd have to book a day's leave as well.

They did mention on a Facebook page for the event a month ago that tickets were selling well, but nowhere else it seems. Not on their website or their main Facebook page.

I like Shuttleworth, but there are things that really frustrate me about the place at times. If little village shows can list their displays 3 months in advance, why don't they? Why persist with the drive in format when no one else is doing it? I don't want to get there mega early to try and get a decent spot. And by the sounds of it, even if you do queue up early, you can end up anywhere.

Mike

Post by Mike »

If you book a ticket for a sporting event that you know will sell out, do you expect to see the team sheet before you buy your ticket?

If you book for a sell-out concert, do you expect to see the set list before you buy your ticket?

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Supply and demand at the moment which unfortunately means you have to pay your money and take a chance.
Same with restaurants, holidays etc. People are so desperate for ‘something’ at the moment that whatever is on offer will sell out, whether a sub-par experience or more expensive than normal.
I’ll wait it out and see if things change later in the year.

Post by 5944 »

Mike wrote:
Tue 08 Jun 2021, 11:17 am
If you book a ticket for a sporting event that you know will sell out, do you expect to see the team sheet before you buy your ticket?

If you book for a sell-out concert, do you expect to see the set list before you buy your ticket?
No, but you'd know which teams were playing or which band were turning up!

Mike

Post by Mike »

And you pretty much know that with Shuttleworth, as 80% of the flying display consists of based aircraft.

Jaguar16

Post by Jaguar16 »

I've missed this one too, but demand is high as has been said. The solution is just to book another airshow later in the year, most of the participants will be the same.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

5944 wrote:
Tue 08 Jun 2021, 1:09 pm
Mike wrote:
Tue 08 Jun 2021, 11:17 am

No, but you'd know which teams were playing or which band were turning up!
Unless there is a black Hawker Hurricane put on a list but does another no show.

Edit - Got all my Old Warden tickets ages ago.

Martin Eames

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

5944 wrote:
Tue 08 Jun 2021, 9:48 am
I was tempted to get a ticket, but the drive in format doesn't appeal enough for me to risk £40 on, especially as you don't know what you're getting. I'd have to book a day's leave as well.
The format doesn't appeal to me either - but the Military show (from a personal perspective) has the most interesting visiting acts so I went ahead and bought tickets in advance. It's not a surprise to see it sell out although it would've been nice to see a couple of warnings from Shuttleworth.