All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
JMC

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by JMC »

Only 3 weeks to go! :heart_eyes:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I'm really looking forward to the show but I confess I am slightly baffled by the fuss about the B-52s. RAF Fairford hosts B-52s (and/or B-1s and/or B-2s) a couple of times a year for prolonged periods and it's not difficult to determine when they are flying. Indeed when they go up there is often time to get to Fairford from Penzance or Newcastle-upon-Tyne before they land again.

I looked the other day at my B-52 list (I've never seen one outside the UK) just since taking to digital photography and it amounts to 28 different aircraft (some repeats on different deployments/shows in that). 10 Bones. 6 B-2s. Plus, of course, 10 U-2s and a bunch of support aircraft.

The USN Poseidon is surely a much better RIAT catch?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Suppose there’s two elements:

1) they don’t normally fly on weekends, and deployments are usually in term time, and some people might not be able to get to the fence, and even a couple of flypasts is slightly better than a deployment which is either a straight landing, or a break and then landing (plus an eight hour wait in between!)

2) there’s a difference to being at one end of the runway and watching ops to seeing one take off and land right in front of you.

And it’s just… nice y’know? A hulking great noisy smoky bomber in the air at an airshow.

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

I’m so looking forward to this year, 4 years missed thro sons birth, wife’s cancer and covid!

I think the line ups decent, stars for me are the best Gripen demo there is in the Hungarian effort, Austrian QRA demo and the obvious Black Eagles, I get the prop issue I’ve always been the same but after 4 years of basically nothing this year I’d have taken just the prop stuff 😂

Hoping for no cancellations before the weds morning and anything else added is a bonus!

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 10:45 am
I'm really looking forward to the show but I confess I am slightly baffled by the fuss about the B-52s. RAF Fairford hosts B-52s (and/or B-1s and/or B-2s) a couple of times a year for prolonged periods and it's not difficult to determine when they are flying. Indeed when they go up there is often time to get to Fairford from Penzance or Newcastle-upon-Tyne before they land again.

I looked the other day at my B-52 list (I've never seen one outside the UK) just since taking to digital photography and it amounts to 28 different aircraft (some repeats on different deployments/shows in that). 10 Bones. 6 B-2s. Plus, of course, 10 U-2s and a bunch of support aircraft.

That's all very well if you've got the time to be able to do that during the week, but with a job and young family I've no chance - so am grateful to be able to see one at the show - a period of time negotiated far in advance with the Mrs!
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

OscarM

Post by OscarM »

I'm realy looking forward to the show. Finally there is a RIAT again!

The line-up is great as it is always. Every year there are some nice juicy and new items, that is also what RIAT makes it special for me. And of course, I want to see more and more special aircraft but that is not always possible. Sad to read that some nice countries are not attending (Australia, Colombia, Croatia, Egypt, Thailand, etc) but still hoping for some aircraft from the ongoing countries :smiley: and, of course, beautifull weather!

Have a great RIAT '22 everybody!!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Friday would be great if it wasn't for the fact you're now basically paying 2/3rds of a full price for half an event. Half the flying, a decent chunk of static off-limits (and presumably this year that'll also mean one end of the flying display aircraft unavailable too)

Tried it, didn't like it, Saturday it has to be!

JMC

Post by JMC »

Blimey Chopper here's hoping you have a great show!

And for me the B-52 brings the first chance for me to see it in the skies for the first time since RIAT 2006! (I don't drive so i'm unable to get down to Fairford). Having it flying in the show, is much different to as you say a take off - doing a tour of the UK - and it returning. As a kid, I was obsessed with the plane, so to see it again brings up a sense of nostalgia too.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

There has been a US Navy P-8 on static for the past 6 shows. A flying B-52 has been on pretty much everybodys wish list for over a decade. The two are not comparable for me.

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

FarnboroJohn wrote:

I'd love to visit Fairford outside of RIAT or even spend a day at the fence at Coningsby but sadly, I don't have the spare holiday days to be able to do it (the other sie of the country for me) along with family commitments so when I get to see a B52 take off and flypast? for me personally, it holds more value and I'm sure outside the FRIAT stand, the feeling is pretty much the same. It's like a music festival where perhaps I can't go and see every band in their own concert but having them all together at a single place ticks a lot of boxes.

That said, I think this is one of the most balanced airshows of recent times - I know there's been some complaints of props / helis etc, but I do believe there is something for everyone here - from the enthusiast to those on a family day out and like you, I'm very much looking forward to a fantastic five days in the Cotswolds!

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:

Fairford is a 3 hour (give or take) drive for me, so 6 hours there & back again - for (maybe) a couple of landings during deployments, sometimes they don't return until after dark....it really isn't practical or worth taking a whole day off work for, fuel expense etc for that. I'll visit LN, because you're pretty certain of all day action most of the time...or Mildenhall for the same reason plus something non-based might turn up...but to spend 6 hours driving plus potentially many others with nothing happening is just not worth it. For those who live closer maybe...

So RIAT is really my only realistic chance to see that stuff. USN Poseidon is also welcome because I don't see those either :wink: only RyanAir 737s near me!

OscarM

Post by OscarM »

Oh, and forgot to ask, just curious:

Air Arms that are on the list as Invited, I assume those arms didn't respond to the invitation? In no way? In some cases that is quite remarkable I think. Guess they are to busy which I fully understand.

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

JMC wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 11:12 am
Blimey Chopper here's hoping you have a great show!

And for me the B-52 brings the first chance for me to see it in the skies for the first time since RIAT 2006! (I don't drive so i'm unable to get down to Fairford). Having it flying in the show, is much different to as you say a take off - doing a tour of the UK - and it returning. As a kid, I was obsessed with the plane, so to see it again brings up a sense of nostalgia too.
Well life’s been put into perspective and RIAT has always been in the better part of my life I’m sure that’ll continue cheers

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

cg_341 wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 11:10 am
Friday would be great if it wasn't for the fact you're now basically paying 2/3rds of a full price for half an event. Half the flying, a decent chunk of static off-limits (and presumably this year that'll also mean one end of the flying display aircraft unavailable too)

Tried it, didn't like it, Saturday it has to be!
P&V west at green entrance is still open Friday (think you need a full show ticket though to gain access). If you want to catch arrivals and flying that day….

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Bodz156 wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 11:14 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:

Fairford is a 3 hour (give or take) drive for me, so 6 hours there & back again - for (maybe) a couple of landings during deployments, sometimes they don't return until after dark....it really isn't practical or worth taking a whole day off work for, fuel expense etc for that. I'll visit LN, because you're pretty certain of all day action most of the time...or Mildenhall for the same reason plus something non-based might turn up...but to spend 6 hours driving plus potentially many others with nothing happening is just not worth it. For those who live closer maybe...

So RIAT is really my only realistic chance to see that stuff. USN Poseidon is also welcome because I don't see those either :wink: only RyanAir 737s near me!
I read all the answers and some of them reminded me how lucky I've been to have bosses relaxed about stuff that really can wait till tomorrow, a wife who doesn't mind where or when I shoot off to for birds or planes (I suspect sometimes she's just thankful its not women) and only an hour and a bit from Fairford so half a day (or even after work) is practicable. I'm now retired so budget issues are up but time considerations down even further. No kids, ha ha!

This one, though, I only partly get, because surely after two or three visits to LN even wall to wall Eagles must pall a bit.... a change is as good as a rest?

Understand me, I'm also looking forward to two of these behemoths at RIAT!

Will the modellers be meeting at Wonderland as usual?

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

To be honest people just lack perspective in general, this is probably one of, if not the best airshow in the world this year. To then say the lineup is lacking because you only like xyz and there aren't enough this year just shows a total lack of perspective.
It's perfectly ok to express opinion but please try to remember just because it doesn't appeal to your niche interests that doesn't make it a bad show it just means it doesn't appeal to you directly.
Last edited by Gt5500 on Fri 24 Jun 2022, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

You’ll love the Austrian Typhoon QRA Display saw it in 2013 at the (much missed) Leuchars Airshow, hope it’s the same one?

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

boff180 wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 12:26 pm

P&V west at green entrance is still open Friday (think you need a full show ticket though to gain access). If you want to catch arrivals and flying that day….
This is very interesting Andy, is this officially confirmed? I can see no mention of it on the website, and can't remember it ever being open in previous years, but given the Swedes are due in Friday this is the place I and I'm sure many others would want to be for their arrival.
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

can i ask please does anyone know when the showground map on the website is going to be released as i think for previous shows it had been released by now?

mbowde

Post by mbowde »

Back to the green entrance, does anyone know if this is open this year on Friday along with the green car park for entrance to the actual show? (not P&V) as I normally come in using the green route, or will the entire “green zone” be cordoned off? Thanks in advance for any insight.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

(I think) my first negative comment regarding the show organisation this year...

RIAT ATC states that their operational airfield hours are 0900-1900 this year yet P&V Weds/Thurs opening times are listed as 0730-1730 rather that the usual 1930.

There's the potential there to miss 3 hours of arrivals (if you're doing both days) and in the past, some of the most sought after aircraft have come in late in the day.

I know that they put that green netting up to deter people viewing from outside, but will people be moved on if stood on the pavement there? If that A4 comes in after 1730, that's where I will be anyway.

I find this a little disappointing to be honest, does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

G-CVIX wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 2:56 pm
(I think) my first negative comment regarding the show organisation this year...

RIAT ATC states that their operational airfield hours are 0900-1900 this year yet P&V Weds/Thurs opening times are listed as 0730-1730 rather that the usual 1930.
I wondered about this too. 🤔
It's possible of course that it just means they won't be letting anyone else in after 17.30....I'm sure it's said a similar time in the past and I've been there beyond 6 almost every year waiting for something nice that was scheduled to arrive late.

You're right though, *if* they are planning on moving people out at 17.30 the roadside will be clogged with people, not a good move if so.

I'd like to know if P&V East will be accessible on the Friday from the showground as it has been previously....but that depends on wind direction (an accuweather forecast I saw today had lovely weather forecast but Easterly winds all week 😐😆)

verreli

Post by verreli »

edhunter wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 2:31 pm
can i ask please does anyone know when the showground map on the website is going to be released as i think for previous shows it had been released by now?
It's available on the RIAT website now. Maps available for Friday and Saturday/Sunday.

verreli

Post by verreli »

mbowde wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 2:41 pm
Back to the green entrance, does anyone know if this is open this year on Friday along with the green car park for entrance to the actual show? (not P&V) as I normally come in using the green route, or will the entire “green zone” be cordoned off? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Looks like you'll be able to get a free bus to the main show area from the Green entrance on Friday. No walking though.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Aaaaagh nice one, Absolutely chuffed that the Western End live area for display aircraft is back.