Old Warden Race Weekend Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd October

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
lynothehammer

Re: Old Warden Race Weekend Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd October

Post by lynothehammer »

Just tested positive for COVID, i won't be going. I'm devastated, i've really enjoyed all their shows this year and only missed the Military Show.

Fingers crossed the weather plays ball for everyone...

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

lynothehammer wrote:
Tue 28 Sep 2021, 1:41 pm
Just tested positive for COVID, i won't be going. I'm devastated, i've really enjoyed all their shows this year and only missed the Military Show.

Sorry to hear that, and let's hope the weather does play ball!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Looks a bit touch and go weather wise, but not a total write off it seems 🤞

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Unfortunately, the weather forecast is now appreciably worse: "Heavy rain and a fresh breeze"😢

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

BBC showing sunny intervals and breezy at present. All over the place, not that I'm going, race day is OK once, maybe twice, but its a bit round and round.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

lynothehammer wrote:
Tue 28 Sep 2021, 1:41 pm

sorry to hear that but most importantly hope you get over COVID quickly - best wishes
andygolfer
winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I've just had a read of the website, and I've realised that the aviation and motoring action is on different days.

The idea of a wings/wheels racing event must appeal to so many aviation and car enthusiasts - I mean the crossover must be the majority in both cases - why on earth do that? Some racing in the morning, some flying in the afternoon, or similar mix, surely? I'd love to see the cars and bikes, and I'm sure all the car enthusiasts would very much enjoy an airshow.

I don't know, I seem to be on a different wavelength to Shuttleworth.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

That’s a good observation.

Looking at the current weather forecast which still says “heavy rain and a moderate breeze”. I doubt they’ll be much, if any flying. I’m now thinking about giving it a miss altogether, and saving a 150 mile return trip.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Fri 01 Oct 2021, 11:50 am
I've just had a read of the website, and I've realised that the aviation and motoring action is on different days.

The idea of a wings/wheels racing event must appeal to so many aviation and car enthusiasts - I mean the crossover must be the majority in both cases - why on earth do that? Some racing in the morning, some flying in the afternoon, or similar mix, surely? I'd love to see the cars and bikes, and I'm sure all the car enthusiasts would very much enjoy an airshow.

Seems like a great approach to me! Seems SW have different ideas in mind for the future, you wouldn't even know they did airshows looking at the new website...

Regardless, the weather tomorrow looks particularly foul in the PM so I will be giving this one a miss sadly.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I think the rationale is to use the runway Sat then race cars on it Sun because the cars may cut up the grass and render unsuitable for flying....

If they think about it they may want to race cars both days given the forecast 🙁 Let's see how adaptable the organisers are! Maybe even start flying 2 hours earlier or something?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Airshow part of the event now cancelled. Ticket holders will get a refund.

The Collection will be open as usual.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

BrawlerO wrote:
Fri 01 Oct 2021, 1:00 pm
Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Fri 01 Oct 2021, 11:50 am

Seems like a great approach to me! Seems SW have different ideas in mind for the future, you wouldn't even know they did airshows looking at the new website...

Regardless, the weather tomorrow looks particularly foul in the PM so I will be giving this one a miss sadly.
I have been to 2 or 3 of the previous events, It was exactly as you describe. The car side of things had grown appreciably at the most recent event, with some real stars like the Napier Railton. Once I saw the two aspects had been split on to separate days, I decided that it wasn't for me anymore. I have found the Raceday flying one of the weaker airshows, tending to be a bit samey, but that was made up for with the cars. A shame to spoil it.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

The right decision given awful forecast of rain plus high winds, this show often falls foul of the weather being in Autumn.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 01 Oct 2021, 3:03 pm
The right decision given awful forecast of rain plus high winds, this show often falls foul of the weather being in Autumn.
Agreed - a shame but the inevitable decision given the awful weather, and I suspect the ground must be pretty wet already.