UKAR Staff

Re: Shuttleworth Heritage Day 3 September

Post by Domvickery »

The forecast seems to be changing by the hour, now saying bright cloud all day
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Domvickery wrote:The forecast seems to be changing by the hour, now saying bright cloud all day

That's the spirit :up:

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

From a report I read on Shuttleworth's social media, the weather was not favourable for the WWI items, so assuming the Camel didn't fly....

Thx
Alisdair

John5199

Post by John5199 »

alisdairanderson wrote:From a report I read on Shuttleworth's social media, the weather was not favourable for the WWI items, so assuming the Camel didn't fly...

Sadly not, the wind put paid to any chance of the WW1'S flying and the display was cut short at about 4.30, apparently due to 'unpredictable turbulence'. A real shame as the lineup was fantastic.
Nikon D7100, D7200
Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR
Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR

Mike

Post by Mike »

It was still a great day, in spite of the weather curtailing the flying somewhat.

Personal highlights (in roughly chronological order) included the chance to get close up to so many Collection aircraft in the paddock before the flying, the ground run of the Brooklands Camel, the three Clayton & Shuttleworth traction engines towing farm machinery in the parade, the first time I've seen Stu Goldspink fly the Mew Gull (flown with typical aplomb), the aerobatic Luňák and the Mustang display, which seemed like the PT of old and ended with a low (!) pass that will be the standout memory of the day for many of those attending.

Bring on Race Day!
Last edited by Mike on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I enjoyed the day too, although I disagree about PTs display, it was too far away and (dare I say it) too aerobatic I dont think it fitted in against the based machinery displays

That final pass was something else though!
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

As an update Berlin Express and Frenesi are still at Duxford (a friendly chap let me get a shot!) Berlin Express has had her complete tail removed, and I understand that it's been sent back to the States for inspection and repair. No sign of a new hood yet.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Re Berlin Express/Frenesi

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/The.Fighter.Collection/photos/a.1166785256727889.1073741827.120987571307668/1631014970304913/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

As ever an enjoyable day at Old Warden, the weather tried it's best but I have to say having driven from Worcestershire through pouring rain in the first hour of my journey it was better than I could have hoped for. It was a shame, but completely understandable, that events ended early.

That final pass by Peter in the Mustang was certainly amongst the highlights!

Hope for weather similar to last year for the season ending Race Day in a few weeks time.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

IP1960 wrote:Hope for weather similar to last year for the season ending Race Day in a few weeks time.

Amen to that!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

I went there on Sunday and have no regrets, thoroughly enjoyed my day at Old Warden. In fact I've always enjoyed my visits there no matter what the weather, I love the easy quintessential (British) relaxed atmosphere of the place, the wonderful backdrops of the airfield. Some of my finest pictures were taken at Old Warden. Only one small gripe - those flippin' speakers! Appreciating that they're an essential part of the show, indeed I enjoy Ben Dunnel's commentary, however they do have a habit of "photo-bombing" my landing/take off shots. Do you think Shuttleworth could just cut about three or four foot off the height of them (pretty please)? I'll even join SVAS if they would :grin:
MarkL

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

A good day considering the weather. Only gripe being the commentary, which felt quite amateurish and stale. Missed Tim Callaway would even put up with his "big green time machine description". :grin:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Who was the comm?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Orion

Post by Orion »

The commentary was fine. Informal and completely appropriate for the event.
I enjoyed the show too, shame about the weather but then it is September!
Regards