Evening Airshows

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
BrawlerO

Re: Evening Airshows

Post by BrawlerO »

Well it was very dark just before flying started but then the clouds cleared and we were blessed with lovely golden light for most of the show. :clap:

Loved the BBMF Spitfire in the new colour scheme, looking forward to sorting through the pics.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Was the 'bend' back?

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

It never went anywhere, along with that Shuttleworth magic :grin: :wink:

A superb show tonight from the team. We really lucked out with the light, thankfully the wind that precluded the lighter types from flying actually meant that the cloud rolled through quickly to allow us some beautiful light on pretty much all of the aircraft at one point or another. And what flying we had! the Hurricane pair were just sublime, with a prolonged period of interspersing the displays following some tight formation work - Stone and Goldspink really have that display nailed down. Jean Munn really impressed in the Mew Gull and later the Dornier Do-28. The gaggle of Desoutter, Po-2, Tiger Moth and DH.60 was really interesting to see too. The BBMF provided MK356 in its new desert guise which was lovely to see in the evening light and oh that display by Jim Schofield to close the evening in AR501 - really beautiful stuff!

Roll on the Military Pageant in 2 weeks!

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

timuss wrote:Cracking evening all the doom mongers missed out on some superb flying.

Well not everyone can afford to attend every show so some of us have to pick what we think we be the best shows weather and content wise.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Tbolt wrote:
timuss wrote:Cracking evening all the doom mongers missed out on some superb flying.

Well not everyone can afford to attend every show so some of us have to pick what we think we be the best shows weather and content wise.

Indeed. Add in uncertainty about the bend and windy conditions too, it looked like one that was a bit of a gamble.

Down here in mid-Essex we had a very different weather with maybe only 5 minutes worth of sunlight during the evening.

You win some, you lose some.

Was the bend put to proper use again or not? Shots I'm looking at on Flickr have a vastly greater focal length than was required at the May evening show?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tobyone1985

Post by Tobyone1985 »

In answer to the bend question, they did appear to be using it again, mabye not to you full classic shuttleworth curve, but all most all of the acts found ways to put topsides in. From a personal side as someone who has been to quite a few shuttleworth shows, this felt like some of the most impressive flying I have seen at a show and really showed the collection in a fine light. For my money this was Shuttleworths best show so far this year, with the Dornier Do-28, Hurricane pair and the collection's Spitfire being the stand out highlights.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

No Spitfire on the list this weekend...? :dunno:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Spitfire, tutor and Tiger moth are at riat hence the no show
Thomas

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Tom105 wrote:Spitfire, tutor and Tiger moth are at RIAT hence the no show

Oh, what a brilliant idea. Send your best asset to waste away in the static park at RIAT when you're hosting an airshow yourselves the same day and it could be getting numbers through the gate. :roll:

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Tom105 wrote:Spitfire, tutor and Tiger moth are at RIAT hence the no show

Oh, what a brilliant idea. Send your best asset to waste away in the static park at RIAT when you're hosting an airshow yourselves the same day and it could be getting numbers through the gate. :roll:

I guess they think they can't compete with RIAT and Legends anyway ( so why do they have a show on the same weekend?! ), but sending there Spit is a good bit of advertising for Old Warden, though obviously most regulars are well aware of what Old Warden has to offer. Anyway it's one thing that's pushing me to going to Legends instead.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

RIAT could have booked any number of other Spitfires that aren't due at Legends, and Shuttleworth could have had their star item.

Like you, I'm struggling to get excited by the list for Saturday evening, and despite the forecast good weather, I think I'll probably give it a miss. I wouldn't if the Spitfire were due to fly. The Comet is another one missing.

I know these are supposed to be 'Collection only' events, but it would be nice if we could get something else in to fill the void. Peter Teichman's Mustang would do nicely.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Sadly it's a list which smacks of "well, there's two more shows on that weekend that will eat up a large slice of our audience, so just fill it with whatever".

I appreciate Evening Airshows are generally based machines only, but without AR501 and Grosvenor House this is a very thin list indeed for anyone with any distance to travel to attend. The weather looks like playing ball, but without the heavier metal participating it looks like one to give a miss, barring a late addition.

Could a couple of the Duxford "Balbo" participants not be persuaded to make a brief detour for a couple of flypasts?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I think the Shuttleworth aircraft are at ROAT as part of the BAE Systems heritage display. Not verified as I didn’t go up that way today.

So not booked by RIAT as such, they’ve done it for BAE.

all caveated if I’m typing rubbish.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Well, whatever the case, I still don't see the logic in it. They're already up against it tomorrow going head-to-head with RIAT and Flying Legends. Allowing the Spitfire to go elsewhere gives people like me, that have been looking forward to this show for weeks, a decision to make. If the Spitfire were present, I'd have already booked my tickets.

Given all of the above, I suspect they'll have a small crowd tomorrow, so I hope that BAe/RIAT are paying enough to compensate.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Asked if there will be any additions to the flying display - won't know until 4pm. I was told there will be no Comet today due to pilot availability.

Think I'm going to skip it - not enough on the list for that ticket price IMO.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

As I understand it, there are two pilots who can fly the Comet - Dodge Bailey and Paul Stone. Having a show where both are absent does rather suggest that this Evening Show is a bit of an afterthought.

Such a shame after a brilliant start to the season at Shuttleworth.

Three shows on this weekend, and none of them really inspired me to seriously consider going to any of them.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

I had several friends from abroad (France, Germany, Canada and the USA) as well as Brits leave Flying Legends slightly early and make the dash to Shuttleworth for the evening show - all of them thoroughly enjoyed it. The show enjoyed marvellous weather and the Edwardians were able to get aloft at the end, which was a real treat for most of them. Shuttleworth's streak of shows with great weather this year makes it 7/7! From photos I saw there was a sizeable crowd too, which is always great to hear!