May 6th - Season Premiere & RAF centenary

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
st24

Re: May 6th - Season Premiere & RAF centenary

Post by st24 »

Jetnoise wrote:Getting next to the fence at OW is not as important as at other shows as you never know what will be parked in front of you - it is always pot luck and runway shots are never guaranteed as a result. Everybody with a little common sense and capable of a little research knows that and accepts it. Makes me laugh when individuals complain about the parked aircraft spoiling their view after they got there so early :grin:
The key aspect of OW photography is the display line and the possibilities it opens up for getting superb shots of the flying display - witness the Lancaster's initial pass at the weekend and the varied formations. As a result, being back from the fence line is no real disadvantage which is why it is always nicely spaced out for the spectators - most relaxed :-)

Cheers,
Ralph

Absolutely! I had no issue getting ground shots through the day apart from the aforementioned Puma scrum.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

I've only ever sat by the fence and that was at my first show there in 2014 (yes, I know...!). Since then, I've tended to sit a bit further back. There's always a rush to the front either when an aircraft taxies back or is starting up. One day I will get a flaming Merlin engine....!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

st24 wrote:Absolutely! I had no issue getting ground shots through the day apart from the aforementioned Puma scrum.

I was stood with the Puma right in front of me, no scrum, and lots of space - I could have stepped a yard or 2 either side of me and not hit another person...

st24

Post by st24 »

Talldan76 wrote:
st24 wrote:Absolutely! I had no issue getting ground shots through the day apart from the aforementioned Puma scrum.

I was stood with the Puma right in front of me, no scrum, and lots of space - I could have stepped a yard or 2 either side of me and not hit another person...

Even during its departure??... :question:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Hot Start" - New staff member Jakub Zurek travelled to the Shuttleworth Collection to review his first show for UKAR.

Image Image Image Image Image

AMB

Post by AMB »

st24 wrote:
Talldan76 wrote:

Even during its departure??... :question:

Yes - even during departure - I was there too and got great lift-off shots.

My only issue with this show was first, this was billed as a 'RAF100' show, which was a great opportunity for Shuittleworth to present the RAF History in timeline pageant format, starting with the WW1 types and ending up with the Typhoon, but the programme was somewhat hap-hazard with nothing in time order.

Also with such perfect weather, there were a few 'no shows' in the air. I expected to see Shuttleworth's Spitfire VC, AR501, fly after its protracted restoration as it was billed as its 'public debut'. Also when the end of the show came, the conditions were so perfect, I couldn't believe the Bleriot and Deperdussin remained hangar-bound and only the Boxkite, Triplane and Blackburn Monoplane flew? Other than that, it was a superb show.
Adrian

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

The cancellation of the Spitfire was well documented here.

I suspect the issue with the Eds was alluded to in the commentary about departing aircraft - the road closure is only in effect until 6:30pm, so they've got to squeeze in what they can before that deadline. I guess the days of flying what they can until dusk are gone... the show ends when the road opens.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

I've been to most OW shows in the last 4-5 years and I am still yet to see the Bleriot outside! I've seen the Deperdussin probably twice. I just think that they are too old/valuable, why risk it? They should probably stop writing them on the schedule though.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Big_Gareth wrote:They should probably stop writing them on the schedule though.

Exactly - I discussed this in the review I wrote for UKAR.

I took a look last Sunday before the flying display, and the Bleriot was missing its engine. Clearly it should not have been on the list.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Big_Gareth wrote:I've been to most OW shows in the last 4-5 years and I am still yet to see the Bleriot outside! I've seen the Deperdussin probably twice. I just think that they are too old/valuable, why risk it? They should probably stop writing them on the schedule though.

Unless the wind is pretty non-existent they don't fly it. If the intent is to fly them, I don't mind them on the schedule knowing 9/10 I won't be seeing it fly. Also from what the engineers were saying it developed a bit a engine gremlin so might be out for a while.
Last edited by Ryan. on Sun 13 May 2018, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I know the Bleriot has had a problem for a few years which has required an engine rebuild which is currently underway. I wonder whether the Deperdussin was slightly out of limits on wind because it so fragile and they all have slightly different limits.
Thomas

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

Does anyone know the actual date, of the last time the Bleriot performed a public display?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Believe it was the October show 2012
Thomas

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

06Jul13-this was at the start of the run as the Bleriot doesn't display, it travels a few feet above the ground in a straight line and there were too many heads in the way to get a decent shot.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

Since Brian's photo doesn't show for me here is the Bleriot in flight from 2011
Bleriot XI

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

Cheers guys

Pen Pusher wrote:06Jul13-this was at the start of the run as the Bleriot doesn't display, it travels a few feet above the ground in a straight line and there were too many heads in the way to get a decent shot.

That's typical, my first ever Old Warden show was the one after!! :wall: It's been on the schedule though for nearly all of the shows since.