June 3rd - Fly Navy III

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Ryan.

Re: June 3rd - Fly Navy III

Post by Ryan. »

Nwalch wrote:
Ryan. wrote:An Avro 504k is nestled in the World War One Hangar, I thought it would be the aircraft that flies for the Great War Display Team, it isn't. Anyone know where the aircraft is from? Don't think I've seen it before.

Link for those with Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156337264349780&id=296234699779

If its not the house Avro 504 and its not the GWDT's then it must be G-EBHB\E2977 owned by Thomas Harris. Colour scheme seems to match.

Meant to be 3 on static inc the collections.

Thanks for that. A lovely looking aeroplane, a shame it's only a static addition.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Pen Pusher wrote:TFC Wildcat should have arrived by now.

Brian

Rare as hen's teeth seeing the Wildcat land somewhere other than Duxford.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Ryan. wrote:
Nwalch wrote:
Ryan. wrote:An Avro 504k is nestled in the World War One Hangar, I thought it would be the aircraft that flies for the Great War Display Team, it isn't. Anyone know where the aircraft is from? Don't think I've seen it before.

Link for those with Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156337264349780&id=296234699779

If its not the house Avro 504 and its not the GWDT's then it must be G-EBHB\E2977 owned by Thomas Harris. Colour scheme seems to match.

Meant to be 3 on static inc the collections.

Thanks for that. A lovely looking aeroplane, a shame it's only a static addition.

Wonder if they are saving a 3 ship formation for the WWI display.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Firstly, whenever I logon to this site I get a message saying that the logon isn't secure. Why is that?

Secondly I note that pre-booking has now finished for this show without a gypsies warning that entry cannot be guaranteed, so I am assuming that I should be able to pay at the gate tomorrow. Judging by the aircraft listing it will be a good show and the weather is forecast to be good too. Looking forward to it.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Cannot see a problem with paying tomorrow no warnings and never been a problem in the past
Thomas

timuss

Post by timuss »

Shame looks like a great line up gutted i wont be able to make it :sad:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Quite surprised to have found a whacking great big marquee near the flight line.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Tent has always been at fly navy!! Have to have some corporate stuff so we can enjoy the great line up!!
Thomas

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Aircraft don't seem to be flying 'round the bend'. Hearing musings that a resident under that flight path has complained about noise and the pilots are being told to avoid where possible :mad:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Yet they've tolerated however many decades of airshows previously. Alas, that's a bit balls and arse. :sad:

timuss

Post by timuss »

ted633 wrote:Aircraft don't seem to be flying 'round the bend'. Hearing musings that a resident under that flight path has complained about noise and the pilots are being told to avoid where possible :mad:

Oh now all of a sudden its noisy :sad:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

st24

Post by st24 »

Lanc had a good go but there's definitely something going on at the bend end....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

st24 wrote: there's definitely something going on at the bend end....

Really can't decide if that warrants a :pinkwafer: or not.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

timuss wrote:
ted633 wrote:Aircraft don't seem to be flying 'round the bend'. Hearing musings that a resident under that flight path has complained about noise and the pilots are being told to avoid where possible :mad:

Oh now all of a sudden its noisy :sad:

Sadly how noise nuisance works all it takes is one person to move in to the area to not like it, make a complaint that is upheld (i.e. can prove a nuisance decibel limit) and you're in trouble. Stating you were there first or that they knew you were there when they moved in is not a defence.

Orion

Post by Orion »

I had to leave after the Lancaster displayed because my back was hurting too much, but I have to say that I didn't notice any issue with topsides during the three passes the aeroplane made. I wonder if people are standing too close to the front of the crowd line?

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

TJJ wrote:The Sea Fury T20 is due to operate out of North Weald for the day, arriving just after 0900 and departing for its OW display at around 1630

Thank you TJJ - coincidentally was meeting a friend at Wings this morning so made sure I was there in good time. Got lucky as I think the pilot's parents were there as he came in and swept around us before landing (and greeting said parents) so I got some nice pics :-)

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Been to every Shuttleworth airshow this year, didn't notice a single difference at this show.

Corky

Post by Corky »

Ryan. wrote: Been to every Shuttleworth airshow this year, didn't notice a single difference at this show.

Afraid I would have to disagree with you. I've also been to every show this year so far and personally I felt there was a difference. A lack of flying the bend was quite noticeably for some of the displays and also I thought the World War Ones seemed higher in sky compared to usual. Again my own personal opinion.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

There was objectively a big difference today. Reminded me of the shows immediately after the CAA introduced their ridiculous new regs a couple of years ago
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Just got home, I stood nearer the control tower, I thought it was just me, I expected more topsides there.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Agree definitely, I was in front of the shed, seem to be less and higher. Could be down to display pilots choosing to fly higher not sure, nope we have not lost the bend and returns to normal in 2 weeks!!
Thomas

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

It was very noticeable today - not nearly as good as the opening two shows with regards to the use of the bend, and the difference from a fortnight ago in the Lancaster's performance alone was enough to illustrate that.

Also interesting to note the difference in identifying the pilots - they said on comms they will only name them once they're down safely. What brought on that change?

Overall, a good show - actually ended up being a very varied and interesting programme for the most part, despite the cancellations. For the third straight year though Fly Navy left me with a feeling of what might have been. In 2016 we were still under the silly regulations, last year the flying was better but the weather was poo and this year we lost the bend. Something always intervenes to hold this one back.

Kudos for getting the Corsair and Wildcat on the ground too. It makes SUCH a difference to get a landing and takeoff, because it's something to see and photograph relatively close-up of an act even if the display doesn't thrill. Good example - the RNHF Sea Fury may as well have not been on the programme for all the impact it made.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Also interesting to note the difference in identifying the pilots - they said on comms they will only name them once they're down safely. What brought on that change?

Social Media?.

If there was an accident would the name of the pilot would be out there on the Facebook/Twitter etc before the next of kin had been informed.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Pen Pusher wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Also interesting to note the difference in identifying the pilots - they said on comms they will only name them once they're down safely. What brought on that change?

Social Media?.

If there was an accident would the name of the pilot would be out there on the Facebook/Twitter etc before the next of kin had been informed.

Brian

That's just absurd. Airshows are as much about the pilots as the aircraft. Maybe a little less at Shuttleworth, but still. Will nobody take a risk any more? not even a tiny one? :dunno:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Without the bend, display flying at Old Warden loses an awful lot of what makes it special.

Imagine living next door to one of the oldest airshow venues in the country, which has been staging shows for decades, and thinking being inconvenienced by a little prop noise for a few hours on six or so weekends a year gives you the right to spoil the enjoyment of thousands? NIMBYism at its worst.

I can only imagine the Lancaster at the last two shows is what's made them wet their knickers, nothing else I can think of has been low and especially noisy "round the bend" this year?

Or maybe they're really inconvenienced by the knee-jerk road closures every time there's a show on, that surely winds-up the villagers more than the inoffensive noise of piston engines...