Shuttleworth Heritage Day - 2nd September 2018

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Shuttleworth Heritage Day - 2nd September 2018

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Peter Teichman's penultimate display at OW, in his Spitfire XI.

VISITING AIRCRAFT
Spitfire XI
Douglas C-47 Dakota
Global Stars
Spartan Arrow
Schneider Grunau Baby
Pitts Model 12 G-MXII
FW44 Stieglitz D-EMNN

COLLECTION AIRCRAFT
Avro C19 Anson
DH89a Dragon Rapide
Kirby Kite
DH82a Tiger Moth
Percival Mew Gull
DH88 Comet
DHC Chipmunk T.22
Miles Magister x2
Polikarpov PO2
Hawker Sea Hurricane 1B
Hawker Hurricane Mk 1 ‘P3717’
Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vc
Gloster Gladiator
Hawker Demon
Avro 621 Tutor
Sopwith Camel
Sopwith Dove
Sopwith Triplane
DH60X Moth
Desoutter I
Comper Swift
Schneider SG38 (EoN Primary)
Avro 504K
Bristol F2B Fighter
Avro Triplane IV
Bristol Boxkite
Blackburn Monoplane Type ‘D’
Deperdussin

AMB

Re: Shuttleworth Heritage Day - 2nd September 2018

Post by AMB »

Anyone know why the DH51 hasn't been flown for years? Every time I go, it's always hangar bound and never outside even.
Adrian

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

AMB wrote:Anyone know why the DH51 hasn't been flown for years? Every time I go, it's always hangar bound and never outside even.

You've asked this question several times before and had answers.

It flew at the Edwardian Pageant in August 2017, and with regards to why it's not seen so often, the answer given was that limited engineering resources mean some aircraft are given greater priority than others. Just search this section of the forum for "DH51".
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:Peter Teichman's penultimate display at OW, in his Spitfire XI.

Rat's! I'd seen him there in his Spitfire several years ago, I'd hoped that he'd be bringing the Mustang!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Mustang is appearing at the following show in October.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Mustang is appearing at the following show in October.

Thanks for that. :up: Keeping everything crossed for good weather!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Webby74

Post by Webby74 »

Seriously thinking about going as I have never been. Where is the best place to stand for photography, particularly top side passes?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

On the corner near the control tower is the best spot but stand back from the crowd line if you want best topsides
Thomas

Webby74

Post by Webby74 »

Tom105 wrote:On the corner near the control tower is the best spot but stand back from the crowd line if you want best topsides

Great thanks for the advice

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Spitfires 'PL965' and 'PL983' will be displaying together on Sunday. :clap:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Spits together I think have made my mind up! Better be sunny for there display! :yahoo:
Thomas

Orion

Post by Orion »

Webby74 wrote:Seriously thinking about going as I have never been. Where is the best place to stand for photography, particularly top side passes?

I have found that a good place to stand for topsides around the bend is the south end of the runway, but you do need a long lens - 500+

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Orion wrote:I have found that a good place to stand for topsides around the bend is the south end of the runway, but you do need a long lens - 500+

Sadly best I've got is 420, that's 300+1.4 converter. :sad:

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Tom105 wrote:Spits together I think have made my mind up! Better be sunny for there display! :yahoo:

And not too early.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

AlexC wrote:
Orion wrote:I have found that a good place to stand for topsides around the bend is the south end of the runway, but you do need a long lens - 500+

500mm?! I can only assume that’s on a full frame body. Flying at OW is closer to the crowd than anywhere else.

Stand anywhere around the bend and max focal length you’ll need on a crop body is 300mm. Look on my Flickr at the focal lengths that I’ve used this year.

Webby74

Post by Webby74 »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
AlexC wrote:

500mm?! I can only assume that’s on a full frame body. Flying at OW is closer to the crowd than anywhere else.

Stand anywhere around the bend and max focal length you’ll need on a crop body is 300mm. Look on my Flickr at the focal lengths that I’ve used this year.

I will be using a 70-300mm on a crop so thanks for the info. Really looking forward to this show

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Anyone know why this is Peter's last Shuttleworth now instead of the next show?

It's good that both Mk.XI's will be landing tomorrow though.

Andover

Post by Andover »

I see the Anson and the Rapide are off the list.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I don't know where to start really with yesterday's show.

OK I'll start positive - the two Spitfire PRXIs were excellent, John Romain in particular really knows how to show an aircraft off to its best, and his close photo passes were beautifully done. It would have been a more fitting way to close the show in my opinion, but they probably wanted to land back on and enjoy.

With no internet on Saturday I had gone hoping to see the Anson, only to find that had been pulled, but also no shows from the Mew Gull, Demon, Dove - the home team seemed to be struggling at their home show. With no Lysander, Hind, Tomtit either and the SE5 going sick, it ended up a bit lightweight compared to usual heritage days.

The Hurricanes - OK I appreciate the Sea Hurricane doing low level passes while the MkI performs some aeros, but then doesn't come back down anywhere near us for a good look, just into the circuit and land. Similarly with the Sopwiths, the Triplane performed some great passes, but once the Camel was up, they just tried and failed miserably to get in formation going round in race day like circuits and then landed, no close passes from the Camel. As for the Global Stars, I can see why they got their name as they took almost the whole Earth to reposition, much better when two had landed.

After the WWII fighters landed, it really just seemed to drift yesterday with no impetus, although the Russian engined Pitts made a great noise.

And then the commentary, not the best, miles behind telling people what was going on, the BBMF Dak was halfway down the line before they even mentioned its arrival, no idea who was in which Spitfire when John Romain landed and Peter Teichmann was running in to display, they had John heading back to Duxford at that point. And as for the "We'll stop talking now, we'll let you listen to the Merlins, we'll shut up now, etc etc" - Just stop. It was like having Dom n Dick on the mics.

Maybe I'm just becoming a miserable old git. :grin: Anyway I enjoyed the day out in lovely clear blue skies, but I've been to far more memorable Shuttleworth shows. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

I had a great day, but the displays were a mixed bag of long/short, close/distant... I was pretty underwhelmed by the Mk.V Spitfire and the Hurricanes on this occasion. John Romain demonstrated again that he is master of the art of displaying a Spitfire. His recent displays in N3200 and now PL983 are a cut above the rest.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Agree with Caper that the show was somewhat a mixed bag.

It was great to see the two PR.XIs, but I was hoping for more formation passes, especially as it was such a rare formation and will probably never be repeated. However, why when doing a formation pass is the aircraft closest to the crowd at the rear of the formation, making it difficult to get both aircraft in shot until after they've passed? This happened with some of the other displays as well, which was a little disappointing to say the least!

Also really enjoyed the Hawk Speed Six display as I'd been wanting to see this since it was purchased by the Collection, and it made some nice topside passes. It was also great to see a Stieglitz again after so many years, in fact it's been ten years since I saw Peter Holloway's old example, so it was good to see one again. The Pitts also deserves a special mention, if only for the whine that the radial engine makes! :cool:

It was a shame that so many aircraft were unserviceable, and this was particularly unfortunate for their 'home' show. Does anyone know why only the Triplane and Boxkite flew in the Edwardian section, as the conditions seemed perfect for the Blackburn and Deperdussin - missed opportunity perhaps?

As Caper mentioned, there were a few glaring inaccuracies in the commentary, not sure I've heard of a Focke Wulf Condor referred to as an Fw.88 before! Also when you say you're going to be quiet so we can hear the Merlins, don't then carry on for another 4 or 5 sentences afterwards!

On the whole I think the weather and the PR.XIs made it a good show, but it certainly wasn't a classic Shuttleworth.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

A fair assessment Paul. Some of the displays yesterday were very short indeed - Comet, Camel and M1C spring to mind immediately.

I think "muddled" would probably sum up yesterday's show. Some things came nice and close, some things were distant, some were very long and others little more than two or three passes.

I wonder if there's too much focus on formations maybe? Personally I'd much rather have three 10 minute solos from the Spitfires and Hurricanes. AR501 remains their star item but, aside from the May evening 'debut', I've not seen it shown off very well since. As you rightly said, the Camel getting airborne rather took the wind out of the sails of the Triplane, which up until then was a superb display.

Just go back to basics. One aircraft at a time, with an emphasis on being low, close and using the bend.

Glad that they didn't open up the flying with one of the star items though. Save the good stuff for the better light. :up:

Commentators very much had a feel of local radio DJs. Some odd remarks besides the points you made too, like praising a Shuttleworth crowd for not littering...?

An enjoyable day out, but not the best Shuttleworth show I've been to.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Not a show I managed to get too this time, out of interest who did the commentary this time? Tim Callaway hasn't been the commentator for a couple of the shows this year, shame as really rather grown to this commentary style at Shuttleworth.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I agree some things were a strange yesterday but I enjoyed the martlett, speed 6 and the overall flying. Just some things like the gladiator flying straight and level and the very disjointed hurricane display let it down slightly but I came home happy. Glad I’m not the only one who felt this way though

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

Tim was commentating at Cosby yesterday. If you want unlimited top sides perfectly lit with uncluttered ground shots, that’s the place to go. That said it’s not an Airshow so the display is short but very good quality. Lots of other stuff going on as well.