Flying Festival, Sunday 2 June 2019
June Evening Airshow, Saturday 15 June 2019
Military Airshow, Sunday 7 July 2019
July Evening Airshow, Saturday 20 July 2019
Shuttleworth Family Airshow, Sunday 4 August 2019
Flying Proms, Saturday 17 August 2019
Vintage Airshow, Sunday 1 September 2019
Race Day, Sunday 6 October 2019
Some new themes, fly navy has gone, heritage day become the vintage airshow, old favorites of the military pageant and race day have remained.
Thomas

AlexC

Re: 2019 Show dates

Post by AlexC »

I was just about to say that Fly-Navy seems to have gone then I noticed your comment. :oops:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I think they'd taken the Navy theme as far as they could. Nice to see a refresh, although Race Day remains, which is an unappealing theme/format to me.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I do like the race day theme given the number of racing craft in the collection plus all the visiting ones however the mock air race doesn't work should just be displays by each type.
Thomas

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I have to agree with Dan and admit that the race day theme is easily the least interesting theme, despite the range of superb aircraft.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

AMB

Post by AMB »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I think they'd taken the Navy theme as far as they could. Nice to see a refresh, although Race Day remains, which is an unappealing theme/format to me.

By the same token, you could say they have taken ALL their shows as far as they could, with the same aircraft over and over again. The Navy Day was very well supported bringing in many interesting Navy-related aircraft from Duxford, North Weald etc and also supported by the Fleet Air Arm. A big omission in my opinion.
Adrian

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Ah I'm disappointed to see Fly Navy go. It had plenty of potential and a strong theme, significantly different to Shuttleworth's other offerings. Mostly dependant on visitors of course, unlike most of their other shows.

Mike

Post by Mike »

AMB wrote:...the same aircraft over and over again.

Apart, presumably, from the DH51. :lmao:

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Fly navy was one of the shows nailed on my calendar. I’ll still attend a few though no doubt

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Ah I'm disappointed to see Fly Navy go. It had plenty of potential and a strong theme, significantly different to Shuttleworth's other offerings. Mostly dependant on visitors of course, unlike most of their other shows.

Therein lay the problem I suspect, with there being a relativley small pool of Navy types to book, some of which aren't always in an airworthy state at the same time (a la TFC this year) along with the likes of Kennet's Seafire and Skyraider clearly being promised to Shuttleworth and therefore added to the list for three years in a row, when clearly they are nowhere near being back on the display circuit. That picture may change in a few years time so I welcome what is hopefully just a break from the theme for a year or so until the pool of aircraft grows some more. No point running the theme into the ground until that point.

I would however have preferred to see it replaced by an American themed show, which I think could hold some real potential right now - with Sally B, Catalina, C-47, P-47, P-40s, Mustangs, Beeh 18, Harvards, T-28, Spartans and myriad other vintage US tyes all to choose from - not to mention the ground displays of US military vehicles, classic cars & bikes. The musical act could be brought in line with the theme, some of those proper chromed trailer-diner van serving up food too.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the Family Airshow this year and thought that it didn't diminish the atmosphere at Old Warden, the Flying Festival theme that is set to replace the Fly Navy show bears a striking resemblence to Duxford's Air Festival, which has given us some of the weakest IWM shows that I can recall. Will this become another catch all show along with the Season Premiere and the Family Show? I don't see any bad in having those two, but having a third instead of another strong themed show?

I feel following the 2017 season all of the Sunday shows finally found their real identities, particularly the August event which has meandered around as the Edwardian Pageant and other slants finally ending up as a well pitched Family Show that got many through the gates, which is what it's all about. The Heritage Day move to a Vintage Show is only really a slight tweak I expect, with more visiting vintage types, which will fit in with the Old Warden feel. Ideally what I would love to see is all of the other shows now become locked in with their themes for future years and have the June Sunday show rotate theme between Fly Navy, an American Show and a Battle of France Show. The latter I think would be perfect in 2020 for example. One (or perhaps more?) was hosted back in the 1990s or 2000s I believe, but imagine what could be done now - Interwar biplanes, plenty of trainers, Blenheim, pair of Lysanders, numerous Hurricanes, early Spitfires (and lets not forget all those beautiful Buchons for extra faux-enemy goodness :wink: ). A Battle of France show with all the early types would really stand out from other shows in Battle of Britain anniversary years.

Oh and Race day is of course one of the best airshow events the UK has ever seen and long may it live.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

HuwJHopkins wrote:I would however have preferred to see it replaced by an American themed show, which I think could hold some real potential right now - with Sally B, Catalina, C-47, P-47, P-40s, Mustangs, Beeh 18, Harvards, T-28, Spartans and myriad other vintage US tyes all to choose from - not to mention the ground displays of US military vehicles, classic cars & bikes. The musical act could be brought in line with the theme, some of those proper chromed trailer-diner van serving up food too.

That's not a bad shout at all, Huw. It would get my vote.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:I would however have preferred to see it replaced by an American themed show, which I think could hold some real potential right now - with Sally B, Catalina, C-47, P-47, P-40s, Mustangs, Beeh 18, Harvards, T-28, Spartans and myriad other vintage US tyes all to choose from - not to mention the ground displays of US military vehicles, classic cars & bikes. The musical act could be brought in line with the theme, some of those proper chromed trailer-diner van serving up food too.

Great idea for a show, but it wouldn't utilise the Collection aircraft, which I think is probably not in Shuttleworths interest. I'd love a Battle of France themed show too. A really different take on the events of 1940. Some themed events really can lend themselves to great shows.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

The Baron wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:

Great idea for a show, but it wouldn't utilise the Collection aircraft, which I think is probably not in Shuttleworths interest. I'd love a Battle of France themed show too. A really different take on the events of 1940. Some themed events really can lend themselves to great shows.

I disagree. It would be an overarching theme, which Shuttleworth are very good at nowadays, with visitors providing the main flavour alongside the home team, in the same vein of Fly Navy only directly being relevant to the Sea Hurricane in the collection as a Navy type. I do remember one show back in around 2009 under another regime having a 'Russian' theme only including the Po-2 and a Yak, with tenous commentary links to the Sopwith Triplane and Hurricane as types also flown by Russians!

Thankfully the people behind the scenes now really do care about the place and are trying to drive it forward with their passion. They are always happy to talk and take constructive criticism/new ideas, so if you ever bump into them on a show day just have a chat! Shuttleworth really is a wonderful place in this era.

Orion

Post by Orion »

At first sight it seems odd that the Shuttleworth should axe the 'Fly Navy' show that has been a consistent sell out but I wonder if the costs of putting on the show out-weigh the benefits to the bottom line?

Having said that there are some missed opportunities in both this year's and next's programmes. This year the 'Race' show instead of an 'End of WW1' show and next year an 'RAF in Russia'.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:I would however have preferred to see it replaced by an American themed show, which I think could hold some real potential right now - with Sally B, Catalina, C-47, P-47, P-40s, Mustangs, Beeh 18, Harvards, T-28, Spartans and myriad other vintage US types all to choose from - not to mention the ground displays of US military vehicles, classic cars & bikes. The musical act could be brought in line with the theme, some of those proper chromed trailer-diner van serving up food too.

Would get my vote too, and with as many Harvard's and Stearman's as possible!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Another attempt at a gathering of Hurricanes would be well worth doing.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Orion wrote:At first sight it seems odd that the Shuttleworth should axe the 'Fly Navy' show that has been a consistent sell out but I wonder if the costs of putting on the show out-weigh the benefits to the bottom line?

Having said that there are some missed opportunities in both this year's and next's programmes. This year the 'Race' show instead of an 'End of WW1' show and next year an 'RAF in Russia'.

Firstly, I don't recall any of the Fly Navy events selling out, certainly not all of them. Secondly, Race Day is one of the most popular events of the year and the Military Pageant in July had a heavy WW1 presence, with probably the largest number of types gathered and flown of any event in the UK over the centenary period.

As for an 'RAF in Russia' airshow, for a theme it's pretty niche and random...!

pb643 wrote:Another attempt at a gathering of Hurricanes would be well worth doing.

Indeed it would. I seem to recall that was originally touted for the Military Pageant in 2015/16? Would love to see it tried again, as there are now more Hurricanes around and therefore more options (not expecting all of them to be booked for various reasons, but the more there are available the better possibility there is of gathering say, 6, there).

pb643

Post by pb643 »

pb643 wrote:Another attempt at a gathering of Hurricanes would be well worth doing.

Indeed it would. I seem to recall that was originally touted for the Military Pageant in 2015/16? Would love to see it tried again, as there are now more Hurricanes around and therefore more options (not expecting all of them to be booked for various reasons, but the more there are available the better possibility there is of gathering say, 6, there).[/quote]

2016, at a guess. They originally listed 6, but in the end, I think that was just 2 or even 1?

They will never be able to compete with Duxford for a gathering of Spitfire and even if they did, they do not have space for those magical mass takeoffs.

Hurricanes could definitely be another world-class event at Old Warden.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

pb643 wrote:They will never be able to compete with Duxford for a gathering of Spitfire and even if they did, they do not have space for those magical mass takeoffs.

True.

However, one thing I'd really love to see is airshow organisers (not just Shuttleworth) getting a bit more creative with Spitfires. Some of the individual Spitfires we have in the UK are amongst the most significant airworthy combat veteran aircraft in the world and yet all we ever see is massed formations of random marks. I'd like to see some of the individual aircraft or marks celebrated a bit more.

For Shuttleworth, how about a gathering of Mk.Vs? Their Spitfire is a Mk.V so why not get the other civilian Mk.Vs and have 'Five Vs' at a Military pageant? The display could be fantastic with formation flypasts and tailchasing, it's a different enough combination to anything that's been put on anywhere else so far, and five Spitfires is clearly a draw for the general public.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

DaveBr wrote:
pb643 wrote:They will never be able to compete with Duxford for a gathering of Spitfire and even if they did, they do not have space for those magical mass takeoffs.

True.

However, one thing I'd really love to see is airshow organisers (not just Shuttleworth) getting a bit more creative with Spitfires. Some of the individual Spitfires we have in the UK are amongst the most significant airworthy combat veteran aircraft in the world and yet all we ever see is massed formations of random marks. I'd like to see some of the individual aircraft or marks celebrated a bit more.

For Shuttleworth, how about a gathering of Mk.Vs? Their Spitfire is a Mk.V so why not get the other civilian Mk.Vs and have 'Five Vs' at a Military pageant? The display could be fantastic with formation flypasts and tailchasing, it's a different enough combination to anything that's been put on anywhere else so far, and five Spitfires is clearly a draw for the general public.

Duxford and Shuttleworth have done a bit with the MkI's, but I agree entirely.

I must admit, that whilst I do like and appreciate the large Spitfire gatherings, I do find the two-seaters a bit of an eyesore when mixed with the other marks.

It would also be nice if the BBMF joined in a little bit more with such events. Things seemed to have improved a bit around the 2015 Battle of Britain shows, but now they are quite happy, back doing their own thing, as a separate item on the programme.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

It has been said before but the aircraft enthusiasts alone can not make airshows profitable.
Old Warden is the only place in the country that can justify holding six major airshows, plus smaller evening events, and by doing so support the rest of the Shuttleworth Trusts activities. We all know the aircraft collection but the vehicle collection, its growing agricultural exhibits, bicycles and carriages all attract visitors, and do not forget the house and gardens. Visit the collection mid week and you will find bus trips from across the country visiting to tour the house and gardens, which are considered to be of national importance. Next years airshow themes may seem to lack "wow factor" but so long as they engage the wider public audience they will be considered a success.
The Race Day event may not appeal to all aircraft enthusiasts but judging by the queues at the burger van it was well attended, and will certainly have introduced some motor sport enthusiasts to the aviation collection, hopefully they will visit again.

One suggestion I would have for a airshow theme would be "The 1930's" most of the collections aircraft would fit, military and civil, add the Hawker Fury from Duxford, early Hurricane / Spitfire / P-40. The Biggin Hill collection Dragonfly and Miles Falcon and any visitors like the Sparten and Luscomb's. Lets just wait until the Hawker Hind is back in the air, much missed from this most excellent year.

Paul

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

DOUGHNUT wrote: Next years airshow themes may seem to lack "wow factor"

We only know the names of next year's shows, which sound very generic but I have no doubt they'll be excellent once again. No specific theme IMO gives Shuttleworth more room to manoeuvre - no more talk of a limited pool of aircraft to fit in with the 'Fly Navy' theme for example.

For example, I fully believe we'll see ARCo's Lysander in formation with Shuttleworth's example at some point next year, and it won't necessarily have to fit one of the themes to happen.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
DOUGHNUT wrote: Next years airshow themes may seem to lack "wow factor"

We only know the names of next year's shows, which sound very generic but I have no doubt they'll be excellent once again. No specific theme IMO gives Shuttleworth more room to manoeuvre - no more talk of a limited pool of aircraft to fit in with the 'Fly Navy' theme for example.

For example, I fully believe we'll see ARCo's Lysander in formation with Shuttleworth's example at some point next year, and it won't necessarily have to fit one of the themes to happen.

It would be great to see, but there's the issue of the need to refurbish the Bristol Mercury in Shuttleworths example...

But I'm also going to vote for a Hurricane gathering. That would be immense.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

I've always hoped they would put on a Hawker themed show. They have the 2 Cygnets based there, the Demon, Tomtitt, 2 Hurricanes (plus invited others), there are 2 Sea Furies and the Fury II, Fury I, 2 Hawker Nimrods, if a Hunter could be attracted that would be brilliant. In addition the collections Sopwith aircraft would fit in perfectly.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Really sad to see the back of Fly Navy but there are plenty of good ideas here should they lack a bit of imagination at OW.