Shuttleworth Season Premiere- 5th May 2019

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Shuttleworth Season Premiere- 5th May 2019

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I've just checked out the Shuttleworth website and I noticed that the gate price has gone up to £35 which a lot and it keeps on going up beyond the rate of inflation every year.

It is very expensive IMO. Looking at the prices prompted me to go back and check some old UKAR reviews - the Flying Legends gate price in 2006 was £30. You can't buy at the gate these days, but for a Legends 2019 ticket, the full price after the early-bird promotional period finishes is £35. It hasn't gone up that much at all really. Shuttleworth gate price in 2008 was £20. I love Shuttleworth, but it's at a price point now where I question it and think twice.

Forecast for this weekend doesn't help. The date of the June show I've got other arrangements, and the July Pageant's Hurricane gathering, tempting though it is, clashes with Headcorn, which offers more bang for the buck - a weekend ticket there, valid both days, will set me back £30 at face value, but can be obtained for much less.

I think my focus this year will be on the evening airshows.

Is the Dakota the one at North Weald that is currently in overall natural aluminium? Although a Dak at Old Warden is very desirable it would have been better to have delayed it's debut until after the repaint.

It should be the Aces High Dakota, yes, but it left North Weald on Easter Monday. No idea if it will be appearing in new colours or not.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Andover

Post by Andover »

I think the Dak is the Aces High one. I contacted Shuttleworth and they confirmed that it, and the Catalina are schelduled to fly in the display as opposed to just static. :clap:

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

I got my ticket for £25 and I consider that very good value (could be just me?). A whole day out, 4 hour flying display, the museum, the Swiss Garden, the vehicle parade, the setting, the chance to see stuff fly you won't see anywhere else, the pilots talk, kids go free and the money goes towards maintaining the collection. Inevitably you get get chatting to people and hear some great stories (got chatting last time to a lady who enthralled me with descriptions of flying Jet Provosts into Duxford).

It's an easy comparison but cheaper/on a par with attending a Premiership football/rugby match or a halfway decent concert.

I am particularly looking forward to the Bronco, Catalina and both Lysanders.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Mine cost £18.50 as an SVAS member. Excellent value, and I don't mind bunging SVAS a few quid (plus gift aiding it) each year in the knowledge they are a purely voluntary organisation, so a large proportion of their income each year is used to buy the aircraft spares for The Collection instead of being used to pay exec salaries like many other charities.

Plus you get free entry to The Collection and Swiss Garden on non-show days, and a nice little magazine three times a year.

If you plan on attending more than once a year, it is well worth joining.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Mike wrote:Mine cost £18.50 as an SVAS member. Excellent value, and I don't mind bunging SVAS a few quid (plus gift aiding it) each year in the knowledge they are a purely voluntary organisation, so a large proportion of their income each year is used to buy the aircraft spares for The Collection instead of being used to pay exec salaries like many other charities.

Plus you get free entry to The Collection and Swiss Garden on non-show days, and a nice little magazine three times a year.

If you plan on attending more than once a year, it is well worth joining.

Joined SVAS for the first time this year and am planning another 3 visit year so that`s my membership cost completely covered.
Just wish I lived a little closer.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Never considered SVAS before. Might have to look into it.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

According to a Tweet from Matt Dearden this morning, a runway inspection has taken place and the team are happy to land the Catalina at Old Warden for the first time tomorrow. Nice :up:

st24

Post by st24 »

Paul_Reflex wrote:According to a Tweet from Matt Dearden this morning, a runway inspection has taken place and the team are happy to land the Catalina at Old Warden for the first time tomorrow. Nice :up:

So that'll be the largest /heaviest thing to land at OW then...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

It is an amphibian :whistle:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

st24 wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:According to a Tweet from Matt Dearden this morning, a runway inspection has taken place and the team are happy to land the Catalina at Old Warden for the first time tomorrow. Nice :up:

So that'll be the largest /heaviest thing to land at OW then...

Dunno, have you seen the size of some spotters?

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

The Bronco arrived Saturday lunchtime (I forget when exactly!), and the Catalina has just flown over Biggleswade 0925, after holding out at Dunton for a few minutes..... looks to have landed (from as best that I can see from my house!)

Cheers
Alisdair

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Anybody got an ETA for the Huey?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

ARCo Lysander has just cancelled.

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

Ryan. wrote:ARCo Lysander has just cancelled.

That is the worst news I've heard today :wall:
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

Badger96

Post by Badger96 »

Does anybody know what time the Huey is displaying? Thanks.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Badger96 wrote:Does anybody know what time the Huey is displaying? Thanks.

Ground crew said it would return to North Weald around 3pm mate.

Badger96

Post by Badger96 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Badger96 wrote:Does anybody know what time the Huey is displaying? Thanks.

Ground crew said it would return to North Weald around 3pm mate.

Brilliant, thanks

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Very good way to kick off the season today, every item was a quality one, just a shame the light was pants at the end
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I felt all the display were well flown all using the bend, very relaxed and much enjoyed!! Light however :down:
Thomas

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Tom105 wrote:I felt all the display were well flown all using the bend, very relaxed and much enjoyed!! Light however :down:

That's good then. Don't feel as if I missed out on anything today though given the weather, especially with the Lysander cancellation. Hopefully that can be rescheduled for another show later in the year, perhaps even an evening airshow? :heyhey:

County1884

Post by County1884 »

It was a bit chilly at times, but the few occasions when the breeze dropped and sun came out it was ok. Nice to see some heavy stuff like the Dak and Cat on the ground. A good start to the season all round. Shame about the ARCo Lysander though...
Ps lost a fiver bet to the missus cos Tim didn't mention the dum bell spar when he was talking about the Hurricanes :lmao:

Post by 5944 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Tom105 wrote:I felt all the display were well flown all using the bend, very relaxed and much enjoyed!! Light however :down:

That's good then. Don't feel as if I missed out on anything today though given the weather, especially with the Lysander cancellation.

Me neither. I thought about heading up the A1 to OW, but lack of sleep (the joys of night shifts), lack of light and lack of second Lysander put me off completely. As nice as it would've been to see some bigger stuff on the ground, a dull, undecorated Dakota didn't really appeal sadly.

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Great day out at Old Warden yesterday. Brought my winter gear so was never too cold. Lovely laid back atmosphere, and saw some stuff I've never seen before. Real shame about the ARC Lysander, although unexpected surprise was TE311 opening the show as I hadn't noticed the BBMF were down to be there.

Great to see some bigger stuff flying.

Loved the Biggles character on the bike, really put a smile on my face, and many others.

For once remembered to go to the pilot chat but couldn't hear a word - is it normally like that? I'd suggest a microphone and speaker would have been helpful.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

PirateTrickster wrote:For once remembered to go to the pilot chat but couldn't hear a word - is it normally like that? I'd suggest a microphone and speaker would have been helpful.

There's usually a mic and portable speaker. You generally still need to be close in to hear though. I heard most of yesterday's talk, once all the people moaning about not being able to hear shut up... at least until Callaway started jabbering away over the tannoy, anyway.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Every Cloud..." - After being spoilt by last summer's recurring themes of beautiful weather and celebrations for the RAF's centenary, Dominic Vickery attended the charismatic Bedfordshire aerodrome in the hope that this season carries on from the last.

Image Image Image