Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
FlankerPhoto

Re: Military Airshow 7th July

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Down to two Avro 504s.

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

3 x Stieglitz! Thought it was just one. It's getting better and better.

Robin

Post by Robin »

Just had Sally B fly right over the house on its way from Headcorn to wherever,
Per Ardua ad Astra

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Met Office showing sunny intervals all afternoon, we can but hope! :up:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Met Office showing sunny intervals all afternoon, we can but hope! :up:

as long as it stays dry and we get some breaks in the cloud i will be happy

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

A glorious afternoon of sunshine had today :D

Post by 5944 »

elterwater wrote:A glorious afternoon of sunshine had today :D

With the exception of Ar501 (which seemed to display closer to the moon than the runway), I think I got everything in sun at some point. A very good day, and 7 Hurricanes was very special!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

was a great day. i agree about the spit, it did feel further away than everything else

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

What a site 7 hurricanes! Brilliant stuff. Thought the royal Jordanian Falcons were really good too.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Another great day at Old Warden, a 7 ship of Hurricanes- another one that will be remembered! RJF, Edwardians and lovely weather. I think most people stayed until the very end. Well done again Shuttleworth!

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Brilliant day RJF were brilliant, seven hurricanes were brilliant, Sally b did a nice display minus a topside. Real shame the wind defeated the last Edwardian, also the p47 seem to display to the A1!
Thomas

southyorkshireman

Post by southyorkshireman »

Excellent day, 7 hurricanes will be remembered for a long time. P47 display disappointed me as well, but really enjoyed the spit V display. Only 8 airworthy hurricanes in the UK? I know it's unlikely to appear away from Biggin but the heritage hangar may have something to say about that, and 505 used to be!

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

A great day today, really feared the worst driving there this morning with the weather but it played ball massively.

I've never ever taken any notice of the RJF at RIAT, but after today they've totally changed my opinion of them with a great display.

7 Hurricanes was a sight to behold, even Sally B's display was fantastic.

Shuttleworth is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite venue now.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

just a great show, esp the Hurricanes who did a lot more than just turn up and the Edwardians in awesome light
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Excellent show today - like others highlight was the 7 Hurricanes and in the presence of one of the surviving 'few' made it especially poignant. Thought the RJF were excellent, the Edwardians a nice bonus. Frankly the best show I've been to at Old Warden.

Felt like it was nearly a sell out too, so good for the coffers to keep everything flying.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Can only echo what has been said above, was a very good day. I was looking forward to seeing the RJF away from the big venues, and was a very tight and precise display. The people around me all seemed to very much enjoy it and there was a noticeable amount of people making a move afterwards, which did surprise me somewhat! Thought we were going to see all the Edwardians, (has that ever happened?) but the wind picked up at just the wrong time.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

As said, a truly fantastic show today. RJF were rather excellent at Old Warden and I'll certainly be paying more attention to them from now on!

Hurricanes were as has been mentioned, stunning and in the presence of a veteran too, making it all the more poignant. Show of the year? :clap:

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I can't add anything to whats already been said. an excellent show.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Yup - a real belter from team Shuttleworth today - including the weather!

The 7 Hurricanes were something special - but I also thought the Spit was a long way off. The RJF really lend themselves to a smaller venue, and they took full advantage :clap: :clap:

A good day out!

Andy :smile:

Mr Potton

Post by Mr Potton »

Amen to all that has gone before. I felt a bit sorry for the elderly gentleman talking about his experiences as his voice was rather lost in the noise of the aircraft flying at the time. It was very noticeable that there was no great rush for the exit after the Hurricanes had displayed. A lovely sunny day and for me home in ten minutes!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Has to be said I feel like I'm the only one who didn't really see much difference between the RJF at Old Warden and the RJF at RIAT. They were very distant.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

st24

Post by st24 »

Wissam24 wrote:Has to be said I feel like I'm the only one who didn't really see much difference between the RJF at Old Warden and the RJF at RIAT. They were very distant.

Nope, felt exactly the same. I was (bizarrely) quite looking forward to them at a small venue but it was only the (admittedly impressive) breaks that felt more intimate..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Wissam24 wrote:Has to be said I feel like I'm the only one who didn't really see much difference between the RJF at Old Warden and the RJF at RIAT. They were very distant.

Or is it just because some aircraft display exceptionally close at OW a normal display separation seems further away?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

It was a decent airshow, but it wasn't mind blowing wow like the Fly Navy show from a few years ago.

The Hurricanes were great to see altogether, although the first wave of three managed on the separate passes to not complete the whole length of the crowdline before turning away. Sally B was lethargic by previous standards, the RJF were OK but as said by Sam didn't seem to fit the smaller venue any better than Fairford.

For me the highlights were the Edwardians trio that managed to fly, the Sedbergh and the 99 year old veteran smiling as he inspected the Hurricanes (apologies my memory isn't great for names these days and he deserves better).
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:It was a decent airshow, but it wasn't mind blowing wow like the Fly Navy show from a few years ago.

The Hurricanes were great to see altogether, although the first wave of three managed on the separate passes to not complete the whole length of the crowdline before turning away. Sally B was lethargic by previous standards, the RJF were OK but as said by Sam didn't seem to fit the smaller venue any better than Fairford.

For me the highlights were the Edwardians trio that managed to fly, the Sedbergh and the 99 year old veteran smiling as he inspected the Hurricanes (apologies my memory isn't great for names these days and he deserves better).

Big shout out to the Sedburgh from me too, Graham Saw flies the pants off every glider he straps on and is always an absolute joy to watch :clap:
Pilot (who??) of the Stieglitz too, showing even home based drivers how it's done..
Don't worry, I get the same with names Dave...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!