Military Airshow 7th July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
rockfordstone

Re: Military Airshow 7th July

Post by rockfordstone »

capercaillie wrote:he 99 year old veteran smiling as he inspected the Hurricanes (apologies my memory isn't great for names these days and he deserves better).

I think his name was Archie McGuinness. I could be wrong tho

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

capercaillie wrote:Ially B was lethargic by previous standards

Two years ago at the Military Pageant we didn't get a proper topside from Sally B either, so I was expecting a better display yesterday (especially after a series of awesome flypasts by the BBMF Lanc last year).

Shame the P-47 was on first in the programme again, but at least we had the pleasure of seeing it land. DH9 would have definitely been the icing on top of the cake IMO. But clearly it was a great show as a whole, with plenty of sunshine and topsides.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

rockfordstone wrote:
capercaillie wrote:he 99 year old veteran smiling as he inspected the Hurricanes (apologies my memory isn't great for names these days and he deserves better).

I think his name was Archie McGuinness. I could be wrong though

Archie McInnes.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Cheers guys. :smile: :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Mike

Post by Mike »

Stieglitz pilot was Tobias Ruppel, who brought the orange and green one over from Germany for the weekend.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Surprised nobody has mentioned the RJFs Brexit mention.. :lol:

st24

Post by st24 »

Mike wrote:Stieglitz pilot was Tobias Ruppel, who brought the orange and green one over from Germany for the weekend.

Thanks Mike- notable by your absence from the Groupies :whistle: :grin: Were you there??
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes, I was there, sorry I missed you. I was with the rest of the guys for much of the afternoon, wandering for the rest. Cracking day!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I thought that driving Archie along the flightline in a Jeep to the Hurricanes was a really nice gesture, and he received a lot of warm applause - certainly from where I was standing. Well done Shuttleworth :clap:

Andy :smile:
Last edited by Blackbird on Mon 08 Jul 2019, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

st24 wrote:the Groupies :whistle: :grin:

go on and **** your self

:wink:

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned the RJFs Brexit mention.. :lol:

I rather liked the little dig at Mr. Trump, when the RJF commentator mentioned that 1066 would have been a footnote in history if not for the RAF's overwhelming air superiority... :tongue2:

But I digress. A superb day out, great weather and with that unique feeling OW always conjures up. The big highlight was of course the Hurricane formation and display, with the Edwardians, the Avro 504 duo, the Sedbergh and the WW1 fighters backing them up. Well done Shuttleworth. :up:

st24

Post by st24 »

HuwJHopkins wrote:
st24 wrote:the Groupies :whistle: :grin:

go on and **** your self

:wink:

:grin: Harsh but fair...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

lynothehammer wrote:A great day today, really feared the worst driving there this morning with the weather but it played ball massively.

I've never ever taken any notice of the RJF at RIAT, but after today they've totally changed my opinion of them with a great display.

7 Hurricanes was a sight to behold, even Sally B's display was fantastic.

Shuttleworth is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite venue now.

Knocks spots off that other place down the road, even the ice creams were bigger :icecream:

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

A thoroughly enjoyable day. Is it just me or were there fewer topside passes than we've come to expect at Old Warden?
One disappointment was choosing to interview the BoB veteran whilst the flying was on. He should have been given a slot all of his own so we could hear all what he had to say. Driving him down the crowd line was a nice touch though.

Post by 5944 »

King Cobra wrote:A thoroughly enjoyable day. Is it just me or were there fewer topside passes than we've come to expect at Old Warden?
One disappointment was choosing to interview the BoB veteran whilst the flying was on. He should have been given a slot all of his own so we could hear all what he had to say. Driving him down the crowd line was a nice touch though.

I stayed right down the south end until the RJF appeared, and it certainly looked like there weren't many aircraft going round the bend after the control tower.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

5944 wrote:
King Cobra wrote:A thoroughly enjoyable day. Is it just me or were there fewer topside passes than we've come to expect at Old Warden?

I stayed right down the south end until the RJF appeared, and it certainly looked like there weren't many aircraft going round the bend after the control tower.

I thought the same that there seemed less topsides, but I don't know if was just me but it felt like the home team would use the bend but anything else stayed in a straight line.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
5944 wrote:

I thought the same that there seemed less topsides, but I don't know if was just me but it felt like the home team would use the bend but anything else stayed in a straight line.

I dont know where you were standing but I have noticed that the area behind the control tower doesn't ever seem to be used by visiting aircraft to "go around the bend" I tend to think that to the right hand end of the crowd line has more to side passes as aircraft do turn in from the right hand end.

Had an great day, again. Pretty perfect. Seven Hurricanes' was just a delight.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Seven Sisters" - Andy Evans reports from Old Warden for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Sea Hornet!? :shock:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Sea Hornet!? :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78925&p=799103
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:Sea Hornet!? :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78925&p=799103

Bloody hell, cheers. :up:

Mr Potton

Post by Mr Potton »

The Baron wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:

I think his name was Archie McGuinness. I could be wrong though

Archie McInnes.

Sad news - The Times reports today (3rd August) that Archie McInnes died on Wednesday night, hours after celebrating his 100th birthday. He'll have taken a happy memory of those seven Hurricanes flying together with him.