Shuttleworth 'Flying Festival'- 2nd June 2019

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Shuttleworth 'Flying Festival'- 2nd June 2019

Post by UKTopgun »

There was no visual evidence of any bird strike, or blood or entrails. I would say the ceiling panel just fell off! Unless someone spoke to the pilot...

cma

Post by cma »

Today was my first time at Shuttleworth, I've been at many warbird airshows arround Europe (including Flying Legends), but I've never seen any better before. Such an amazing place, collection and organitzation! I wish we could have an grass airfield like that one in Barcelona (Spain) for our warbird and classical collection...

There vas expected a very cloudy day and finally the sune shined for a while. Sadly some confirmed participants weren't outside of the hangars (I supose it's due the wind), I've missed a flyby pass of the Daks and the fact that the Hawker Sea Hurricane couldn't took off, screwed me :sad:

In resume, I enjoyed it more than a kid with new shoes, back to the hotel with more than 2.000 pictures. Here the first processed picture, the Hurricane Mk.1 inside the hangar.
[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10219658866771847&set=a.3965010773328&type=3&theater[/fb-post]

For sure I will come back again! And tomorrow.. heading to Duxford to see the Daks!

Regards,
Conrad

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Hi Conrad,

Glad you enjoyed the day. It's certainly a unique venue with a lot to offer. Well worth you making another visit to see more of the collection's aircraft in the open and flying. I was surprised by how few were on show (other than in the hangars) on Sunday - but it's a good reason for another visit!

Andy :smile:

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

UKTopgun wrote:There was no visual evidence of any bird strike, or blood or entrails. I would say the ceiling panel just fell off! Unless someone spoke to the pilot...

Only going by the converation between tower & pilot....

Peter

ted633

Post by ted633 »

MUSTANG wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:There was no visual evidence of any bird strike, or blood or entrails. I would say the ceiling panel just fell off! Unless someone spoke to the pilot...

Only going by the converation between tower & pilot....

Peter

I was only asking if anyone had seen what happened. I only saw something falling to the ground behind it. I suggested birdstrike as there were a fair number of red kites around. However, the photographic evidence above clearly shows the panel missing & no evidence of external impact, which aligns to what I was told by someone who had gone over and had a chat with the ground crew. Used to come off quite often when the Wasp was in service apparently.

Apologies if I've caused any confusion.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I heard the tower Comms initially suggesting bird strike so was a perfectly reasonable comment to make, but it turned out to be a loose panel I think.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Really enjoyed the day yesterday, seeing all those Daks on a small airfield was one of those airshow highlights that will be remembered for a long while. Well done Shuttleworth for setting this up :-)

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

BrawlerO wrote:Really enjoyed the day yesterday, seeing all those Daks on a small airfield was one of those airshow highlights that will be remembered for a long while. Well done Shuttleworth for setting this up :-)

Spot on!

Andy

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

UKTopgun wrote:I heard the tower Comms initially suggesting bird strike so was a perfectly reasonable comment to make, but it turned out to be a loose panel I think.

Thanks for clearing it up....

Peter

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

Slightly 'off-topic', but a Finnish (I think!) DC3 arrived at Old Warden around 3pm on Monday 3rd June, and then returned in the Duxford-direction at around 5pm - it did a couple of circuits before landing..... nice sight from my house!

Cheers
Alisdair

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

gutted I could not make it but had tickets to the Oval, 3 dull weekends in a row and then a big clash,

top marks to all involved in putting it together, a few years ago, we were talking about the death of airshows. Events like this show that there is still room for great events.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "DC-Spree" - Tom Jones reports on June's 'Flying Festival' airshow on behalf of UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image