Chilton
Chilton
Miles Messenger (G-AKIN)

Old Warden based

Hakwer Hurricane (G-HITT)
Demon
Dove
Magister

http://www.shuttleworth.org/vintageairshow-aircraft/?fbclid=IwAR05h-HZ-8tmy92JiV6qHwTcnjwBeQNDCTqIbgHJPyIAdQt3h3RbYrSzzrs

stuart n

Re: Vintage Airshow - 1st September 2019

Post by stuart n »

Latest list, Contrary Mary has been removed :sad:

Visiting

Global Stars
Spartan Arrow
Gemini
Auster
Pitts 12
Miles Messenger
Miles Messenger (G-AKIN)

Old Warden based

Racers: Southern Martlet, DH88 Comet.
Between the Wars: Avro Tutor, Tiger Moth.
Special Ops: Westland Lysander, Polikarpov PO2.
De Havilland: Tiger Moth, DH60X Hermes Moth, DH60 Moth, DH51 Miss Kenya, DHC-1 Chipmunk, Dragon Rapide.
Silver Wings: Gloster Gladiator, Hawker Demon.
The Magic of Miles: Magister, Magister, Hawk Speed Six.
WWII: Sea Hurricane, Hurricane Mk.I G-HITT, Spitfire AR501.
WWI Sopwiths: Camel, Dove, Pup, Triplane.
Shuttleworth Foundation: DH60X Hermes Moth, Desoutter, Comper Swift.
Glider: Eon Primary.
WWI: RAF SE5a, Avro 504K, Bristol F2b, Bristol M1C.
Edwardians (Weather permitting): Bleriot, Bristol Boxkite, Deperdussin, Avro Triplane, Blackburn Monoplane.

Aircraft to be added as and when full display line-up is confirmed.

https://www.shuttleworth.org/vintageairshow-aircraft/?fbclid=IwAR05h-HZ-8tmy92JiV6qHwTcnjwBeQNDCTqIbgHJPyIAdQt3h3RbYrSzzrs

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Shame about the Mustang. I'll probably give this one a miss.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

The Auster has dropped off the list and the Lancaster has been added.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Unsurprisingly the Demon, SE5a and Bristol Fighter have also been dropped, but the Albatros has been added.

Great to see the Wren added too, after its rather surprising post-restoration debut earlier this season, and the Elf too.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

What’s up with the demon recently?

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Albatros now dropped off the list

Keefy041

Post by Keefy041 »

The Demon has been having some work done on the engine, and i guess its not ready yet.
Look forward to the Demon and Hind being back in the air again,hopefully next season.
Who knows ? Perhaps one day they'll book the Hawker Fury !

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Lancaster flypast is on the BBMF schedule for 14:14 hrs.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Anyone at Old Warden today? Did I miss anything interesting?
Hope it was a good one, weather seemed pretty good....

Orion

Post by Orion »

Got back about an hour ago. An excellent show, very good indeed.

County1884

Post by County1884 »

I would say an average Shuttleworth. Nothing outstanding but a nice day, Funny old weather, Windy, Hot sunshine at times and a massive black sky and some rain in the middle! Seemed quite busy.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

County1884 wrote:I would say an average Shuttleworth. Nothing outstanding but a nice day, Funny old weather, Windy, Hot sunshine at times and a massive black sky and some rain in the middle! Seemed quite busy.

Very average IMO. Even in clear skies, there wasn’t that much that stood out. Only went as I’d not been to an OW show all year and Race Day doesn’t appeal to me at all.

There were a few things that seemed a tad short today - the Magister pair, the Avro Tutor (which I assume had an issue as it landed back straight after departing?). The Comet cancelled, but I didn’t hear why on the scanner.

The Spitfire and Hurricanes were excellent, especially for the first half of their display. Lots of low, close sweeping passes. Just a shame there was no light at all on them.

Gliders do absolutely nothing for me. Three in one show is pushing it IMO. Like parachute teams, they take up so much time to climb to height and the payoff is so little.

Overall the show felt a bit lightweight, but that was clear from the participant list.

It was nice to be at an airshow I could photograph with my 300mm again though. The difference to Little Gransden last weekend was stark.

Edit - gate price was too much for that show today. Very overpriced. I actually attended RIAT for less money this year.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Enjoyed the show a lot nice and relaxing. Enjoyed the array of de Havillands. The miles aircraft were also nice to see. The founder aircraft was a really nice touch. The spitfire and hurricanes were awesome as always. Lots of First World War gems. Just a really enjoyable afternoon at an Airshow and at £25 I’d say a bargain

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Comet had a faulty undercarriage warning light or similar

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I had a smashing day. Old Warden on a summer's day with your mates, what's not to love? The "lighter" shows have their place - they can't all be Fly Navy 2016 or Hurrimania - and allow the focus to be on the lighter vintage aeroplanes, which are arguably what Shuttleworth is all about.

The de Havilland sextet formation was fantastic, I've not seen them putting up that combination before. Lovely to see the Miles aircraft, too. The subtle aircraft sub-themes/gaggles they've got together this year have worked a treat - the Lysanders, Aeroncas, Dakotas, Hurricanes, Fw 44s, de Havillands, Miles types etc. Buckets of scope for similarly themed gatherings in future.

Personally I think the gliders are a terrific interlude. The vintage examples at Old Warden have really brought that aspect of aviation alive in recent years. The Fauvel is brilliant, just an absolute unit. Worth noting that the gliders usually climb to height whilst a "Joker" display keeps the crowd entertained, so there's never any downtime. Yesterday's "Jokers" were, if I remember correctly, due to be the Cygnet and ANEC, both of which were winded out.

Other highlights for me were Colin Essex's Aeronca, the Spartan Arrow (a first for me, I think), a rare BE2e appearance, the Spitfire/Hurricanes trio and the Camel display. Great to see the Dove too - one of the more elusive of the based rotaries.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

I haven’t been blown away by any airshows this year tbh, but if pushed, I actually think I enjoyed RIAT the most because it offered a change of pace and scenery after many years away, and there was stuff there that was completely new to me. I’ve never seen anything like the MiG before, and the Harriers were wonderful to see again.

I’m at a bit of a low ebb with historic aviation for some reason and back into jets of all shapes and sizes at the moment. Probably the Tornados that did it - the trips to Marham last autumn and this spring really got me into that side of the hobby again. Shuttleworth has struggled to lure me in this season the way it normally would, and with the benefit of hindsight I’d happily have missed both OW yesterday and LG last weekend.