Post by vintage ATCO »

It will be a drive-in format, details here
https://www.shuttleworth.org/events/dri ... show-july/
vA
stevelevien.com

MiG_Eater

Re: First Show on July 18

Post by MiG_Eater »

Really thrilled with this. Got my ticket the second I saw it.

I just hope people stick to the rules and stay by their car. Ultimately, its got to be case of good will from the audience, and if it isn't there I doubt this will happen again.

Here's hoping for good weather! Such great news. Well done Shuttleworth!

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

I'm impressed by the price, I did expect it to be more than that considering that it is per car.

Aircraft list:

Army Co-op: Lysander, Po2, L6 Cub
Gliders: Fauvel, Eon Primary, English Electric Wren
Trainers: Chipmunk, Miles Magister, Piston Provost, Avro Tutor
Aeros: Extra 330, Redhawk
Civillian: DH51 ‘Miss Kenya’, DH60X, Desoutter, DH82a Tiger Moth, Cub
WWI: Sopwith Pup, Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Triplane, Bristol M1C
WW2: Spitfire AR502, Sea Hurricane
Racers: DH88 Comet, Mew Gull, Mew Gull DB (red)
*Edwardians: Bleriot, Bristol Boxkite, Avro Triplane, Blackburn Monoplane

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Think I’ll stick to plane spotting at bases and airfields this year.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

£50 for a motorbike with one maybe two on board. Mmmmm

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Join the SVAS and motorbikes are £25.00!

I'm happy with the price to be honest. Its a terrible time for museums and hospitality so I expected to pay a bit more to offset their lost revenue.

If the weather's good, its an evening watching and photographing unique aircraft at what is as close to a perfect airshow venue there could ever be.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

£50 for a car I think is really reasonable, especially for a family. Will have to see if the handbrake fancies it.. :D

Certainly be interesting to see how it all works, in theory it's a great idea.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

No matter what social distancing procedures have been put in place, isn't this considered a mass gathering which under current Covid-19 restrictions should not take place.?

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Reading the description of this event, makes you realise what a huge mountain Duxford have to climb, in order to stage an event later this year. :worried:
Last edited by pb643 on Mon 29 Jun 2020, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 11:52 am
No matter what social distancing procedures have been put in place, isn't this considered a mass gathering which under current Covid-19 restrictions should not take place.?

Brian
Maybe that is why you are not permitted to leave your zone and gather at the fence, it is then considered to be lots of smaller gatherings?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:52 am
£50 for a motorbike with one maybe two on board. Mmmmm

Brian
Motorbikes are 25 quid, no SVAS membership needed.

Well done to Shuttleworth for getting an event together, and good luck to anyone going. I can imagine it has the potential to work well.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian
It will be inside the cars. How many households are allowed inside one car? :grimacing:

Appreciate its tough at present, but its tough for everyone, but as much as I like the venue, twice the price to see the stuff you see almost every visit. I'll give it a miss. Hope everyone who goes enjoys their time. :grinning:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Post by 5944 »

capercaillie wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 1:22 pm
Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian
It will be inside the cars. How many households are allowed inside one car? :grimacing:

Appreciate its tough at present, but its tough for everyone, but as much as I like the venue, twice the price to see the stuff you see almost every visit. I'll give it a miss. Hope everyone who goes enjoys their time. :grinning:
From the website...

"Drive-in and set up your picnic next to your vehicle."

And

"Standard car parking space at 5x5m for vehicles up to 2m high and 2.5m wide."

Doesn't sound too bad, though it's not great for photographers as you don't know how close you'll be able to get to the fence.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I often watch the display from my car at Old Warden and display proximity is still excellent.

Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Well done Shuttleworth, a picnic with some aeroplanes - a perfect summers evening. It's a long time since I have visited Old Warden but this has got me back and £50 for a car is reasonable I think.

I admire the innovation here but to do similar at Duxford or other locations would be a challenge.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian
I would think they have based it on the procedure for operating a drive-in cinema (but without the sound of popcorn all round) - the ultimate 3D movie!
They were marking out the spaces last Wednesday when I was there hoping (in vain) to see so display practice. Looked to be a reasonable amount of space per vehicle. I'm sure they have planned it properly - they daren't not do so TBH.
My ticket is already printed and in the car ready to go - never known my wife to be so keen - she must be missing displays as well

Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

FlyingMachinesTV

Post by FlyingMachinesTV »

Brilliant news and great innovation from Shuttleworth - I'll be interested to see what duxford do for the September show

Mike

Post by Mike »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:47 am
Think I’ll stick to plane spotting at bases and airfields this year.
A very strange comment from a staff member of a website that purports to exist in order to support and review airshows. If everyone took that attitude there would pretty soon no longer be any airshows left for you to review! Who would we then have to moan about the Snipe being flown too late in the show, or the lack of topsides, or the B-17 and Red Arrows not landing on?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise the health of me and my family in the middle of a pandemic was a decision for you to make.
Who would we then have to moan about the Snipe being flown too late in the show, or the lack of topsides, or the B-17 and Red Arrows not landing on?
Bless. :joy:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Canopus wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 3:10 pm
…. and £50 for a car is reasonable I think.
It's not if you are on your own. Fortunately many venues stopped this single person discrimination many years ago.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Ultimately the capacity is going to be limited by cars, so I think its reasonable to charge per car. If the weather comes out right, i'd say its easily worth £50.00, but that is - of course - just my opinion.

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

£50 may be reasonable for a full car of 4/5/7 people, but for a single person? You’re essentially paying RIAT price (I still maintain that’s too high, but that’s another argument for another time) for a much lesser product.

But it’s not up to me to dictate or judge how others spend their time and money.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Is there a walkway around each space to allow you to the facilities, or do you have to walk through other spaces thereby potentially contaminating them or being contaminated, or are the facilities closed? Therefore you have to bring a bottle/bucket/nappy or cross your legs for up to 9 hours.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

All the useful information is here and it looks like all necessary precations are being taken.

https://www.shuttleworth.org/events/dri ... show-july/

I'm going to give it a go. The timing and access makes it better for us and I haven't been to an Old Warden show for many years. It is probably the only air show I'll get to this year anyway.

Shuttleworth have got to be given credit for at least trying to put a show on.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

capercaillie wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 8:46 am
Is there a walkway around each space to allow you to the facilities, or do you have to walk through other spaces thereby potentially contaminating them or being contaminated, or are the facilities closed? Therefore you have to bring a bottle/bucket/nappy or cross your legs for up to 9 hours.
The website information states blocks of toilets in each "Zone" - and hot/cold drinks and refreshments - I'm assuming parking is two-deep rows with driveways between enabling all to go forwards or backwards from their space into broad sunlit avenues without contamination. And its outside - its got to be safer than the local supermarket. I'm in!