Re: First Show on July 18

Post by TrevorT »

I'll be there!

JJC

Post by JJC »

Excellent news!

How would photography be from the car?

Been seriously considering attending for a while and this seems like an excellent opportunity.

Cheers
JJC
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Post by 5944 »

JJC wrote:
Wed 01 Jul 2020, 1:33 pm
Excellent news!

Been seriously considering attending for a while and this seems like an excellent opportunity.

Cheers
JJC
You don't stay in your car. Your car is parked in a 5m x 5m area and you can stand there to take photos.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

well i was planning to go away or something this weekend. as that now isn't happening it looks like i will be there

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

The 5m x 5m area will be interesting. My car is 4.9m long. Hopefully parked near some shorter cars....

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

DerekF wrote:
Wed 01 Jul 2020, 6:21 pm
The 5m x 5m area will be interesting. My car is 4.9m long. Hopefully parked near some shorter cars....
i guess the idea is that you can park up and open your doors so you can stand apart from each other as opposed to in front of or behind the car

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

DerekF wrote:
Wed 01 Jul 2020, 6:21 pm
That is just the space occupied by the car including open doors. It does not include the space that will be available to the occupants beside their car. If it was, that will be akin to normal parking. It also says on the Shuttleworth web site that you could have a picnic by the car so there should be sufficient space between your group and other parked cars and other people in front, behind or to either side.

Martin Eames

JJC

Post by JJC »

5944 wrote:
Wed 01 Jul 2020, 2:19 pm
JJC wrote:
Excellent news!

Cheers
JJC
You don't stay in your car. Your car is parked in a 5m x 5m area and you can stand there to take photos.
Yes I understand that, I was wondering if it was known how the parking would be arranged/laid out and if you’d be parked up close enough to get decent shots of the flying.

JJC

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

Old warden is slightly sloped so that helps the views for spectators and photos.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

JJC wrote:
Wed 01 Jul 2020, 11:43 pm
5944 wrote:
JJC wrote:
Excellent news!

Cheers
JJC
Yes I understand that, I was wondering if it was known how the parking would be arranged/laid out and if you’d be parked up close enough to get decent shots of the flying.

JJC
Assuming that it is arranged as normal, I can vouch for the fact that sitting by your car still offers excellent photography opportunities.

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Precautions sound adequate... I have been tempted out of the house, and bought a ticket.

I suspect Old Warden's large paddock, gently sloping down to the flight line (which was always a great asset for shows)... makes it one of the few venues where this social-distanced drive-in arrangement is not only possible, but is likely to work really well. The view should be good from pretty much any parking spot.

Looking forward to it.
capercaillie wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 8:46 am
Is there a walkway around each space to allow you to the facilities, or do you have to walk through other spaces thereby potentially contaminating them or being contaminated, or are the facilities closed? Therefore you have to bring a bottle/bucket/nappy or cross your legs for up to 9 hours.
Good questions.

The web page says the site will be divided into several "zones" each with its own snack facilities, and block of toilets.
They don't go into the full detail of how people will access those things in each zone...
But I would hope they have planned it properly.

And it shouldn't be 9 hours onsite?
Flying is only 5:30 til 8:30, 3 hours.
Maybe an extra hour if the Edwardians fly.

Space is limited so I'm guessing driving in and out isn't going to add much time?

And there's no wandering about allowed, and no access to the flightline fence...
So there's no point arriving hours early, to bag a prime spot etc...?
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

JJC

Post by JJC »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Thu 02 Jul 2020, 8:56 am
JJC wrote:
Wed 01 Jul 2020, 11:43 pm
5944 wrote:
JJC wrote:
Excellent news!

Cheers
JJC

JJC
Assuming that it is arranged as normal, I can vouch for the fact that sitting by your car still offers excellent photography opportunities.
Excellent thank you!

Orion

Post by Orion »

I had an email from the Shuttleworth yesterday which said that picnicking near to the car was acceptable. If this is so ten photography outside, but very close to, the car will be acceptable to. But then you would need to arrive very early to avoid being in the overspill car park!

There was no mention of facemasks when in the shop or hangars.

Regards

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Orion wrote:
Fri 03 Jul 2020, 9:55 am
But then you would need to arrive very early to avoid being in the overspill car park!
One would assume that capacity is reduced from that of a standard show and that cars will all be on the main field?

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Orion wrote:
It could be because they will be shut, from the page for the show on Shuttleworth's website:
Shuttleworth Swiss Garden, Play Area, Restaurant, Gift shop and Shuttleworth House are closed during this event. To keep visitors and staff safe we ask that you keep within the spirit of the law by not exploring the site, maintaining exemplary social distancing, and staying within your allocated space to watch the display.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Orion wrote:
That's because the site is closed apart from access to toilet facilities and a snack/drink vendor within your designated parking zone. The rest of the time you're expected to stay by your car in your allocated parking space.

jl151080

Post by jl151080 »

I don't have a printer to print a ticket at home. Does anyone know if you can show your ticket on your phone?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

jl151080 wrote:
Sat 04 Jul 2020, 5:40 pm
I don't have a printer to print a ticket at home. Does anyone know if you can show your ticket on your phone?
Never been a problem for me in the past.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

jl151080

Post by jl151080 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Sat 04 Jul 2020, 6:25 pm
jl151080 wrote:
Sat 04 Jul 2020, 5:40 pm
Never been a problem for me in the past.
Thanks.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Mike wrote:
Fri 03 Jul 2020, 11:43 am
Orion wrote:
That's because the site is closed apart from access to toilet facilities and a snack/drink vendor within your designated parking zone. The rest of the time you're expected to stay by your car in your allocated parking space.
The email said that the toilets would be open as normal but visitors would be expected to conform to social distancing rules. Presumably there would be a specific number of people allowed in the loos with a one out, one in rule.

Personally, as I'm shielding, I won't be going but I can understand that others may want to. Just keep safe.

Regards

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Fri 03 Jul 2020, 10:03 am
Orion wrote:
But then you would need to arrive very early to avoid being in the overspill car park!
One would assume that capacity is reduced from that of a standard show and that cars will all be on the main field?
I tried to find out whether the overflow field will be used, but this was the vague reply that I received:

"Parking will be all along the flight line, parkers will direct you on arrival."

To me, this sounds like unless you arrive at 15.30, you may be directed to park in the overflow field, which might just qualify as the "flight line"....

Rick

Post by Rick »

Alpha Delta 210 wrote:
Sun 05 Jul 2020, 10:09 am
Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Fri 03 Jul 2020, 10:03 am
Orion wrote:
I tried to find out whether the overflow field will be used, but this was the vague reply that I received:

"Parking will be all along the flight line, parkers will direct you on arrival."

To me, this sounds like unless you arrive at 15.30, you may be directed to park in the overflow field, which might just qualify as the "flight line"....

Think you might see a very much extended display line
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

I think that you are probably right, Rick!

Rick

Post by Rick »

Now sold out
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

ARCo's PR.XI, "the NHS Spitfire" added.