Vintage Air Day Sun 6th Sep

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Elliott Marsh

Re: Vintage Air Day Sun 6th Sep

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Lovely vintage line-up there!

On the ticket front, it's only more costly than a "normal" Old Warden show if you go alone. Two occupants = £25, which is less than standard entry. As Mike says, it's a discounted price regardless of whether you enter two, three or four up. Car of four for £22.50, you really can't go wrong. I really can't see how that's seen as extortionate by any stretch, to be honest, as provided you have a passenger, you're paying less than standard fare.

Old Warden's done a fantastic job of being the only venue to host proper airshows in 2020. It may remain so, depending on how next month and October pan out. If a 5x5 box, toilet and food van is the only way to make it work, so be it. The alternative is we all sit on our arses at home watching ATI 1992 departures for three hours (cracking video, btw). Fair play to them trying to recoup their losses and keep the Collection afloat.

Appreciate I've basically paraphrased Mike but, well, Mike's not wrong.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

I'm very happy to a) be able to go to airshows in 2020 and b) support the Shuttleworth Collection through what is a difficult time for all such organisations.

No one is being milked. If you think it is not good value for your personal circumstances you can choose not to attend.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

The website has changed now, its £50 for a car with 2 adults, and children are free. Only have to buy extra tickets for additional adults

Post by 5944 »

Swiss Gardens now open as well on show day.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I agree with what Elliott has written. It is good value if there are two or more in the car, especially in the current circumstances. However, I'm a lone traveler and I have also renewed my SVAS membership this year with no expectation. There was an SVAS discount available on the original advance tickets for this show but I can see no discount for the revised drive in show, unless its applied at checkout. That means I will end up paying three times what I would have normally paid.

I probably will attend, partly because I want to and partly because I want to support the Collection. However, it does give me a feeling that they are taking with both hands.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Aquarious wrote:
Tue 11 Aug 2020, 2:32 pm
There was an SVAS discount available on the original advance tickets for this show but I can see no discount for the revised drive in show, unless its applied at checkout.
The SVAS price is £45, they are available further down the page from the normal tickets on the Shuttleworth website.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

itfcscott wrote: ↑
The SVAS price is £45, they are available further down the page from the normal tickets on the Shuttleworth website.
Thanks itfcscott, I see it now. I think there have been a few updates today as it wasn't there yesterday.

EGL

Post by EGL »

Ticket booked - at the start of the year I was planning another visit to Old Warden as not been for a while. Thought I might not have made it but glad they are able to organise these. I'd ruled this out if it was going to be a "normal" airshow, but much more comfortable attending a drive-in format show.

Might be on my own unless a can persuade one of the kids to come with me but need to get them back up the road for school on the Monday. From a price perspective if just me, then yes a bit more expensive than usual but happy to support the collection.

5.5 hour drive each way - I'm sure it will be worth it!

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Just booked my ticket, nice to see the Gardens and play parks are open now too.

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Full display list is up now

14.00 – Flying Boat: Catalina
14:12 – Classic Racers: Mew Gull, DH88 Comet
14:26 – Special Operations : Westland Lysander, Polikarpov PO2
14:40 – Trailblazer: Civillian Coupe
14:50 – Between the Wars: Avro Tutor, Tiger Moth
15:00 – BBMF: Spitfire Flypast
15.05 – Barnstorming: Tiger Moth, DH Chipmunk, DH51 ‘Miss Kenya’
15:27 – Gliders: Fauvel
15:42 – Silver Wings: Gloster Gladiator
15:52 – Formation Aerobatics: Stampe Team
16:11 – The Magic of Miles: Miles Magister x 2, Miles Messenger, Miles Gemini,
Southern Martlet, Hawk Speed Six
16.38 – Glider: Lunak
16:52 – Sopwiths: Camel, Pup and Triplane
17:18 – Early Shuttleworth: DH60X, Desoutter, Spartan Arrow
17:32 – Formation Aerobatics: DH Chipmunk, Auster
17:42 – WWI: Nieuport, Bristol M1C, Avro 504K
17:58 – WWII: Sea Hurricane, Hawker Hurricane G-HITT, Spitfire AR501
18:14*- Edwardians & Wren: Bristol Boxkite, Avro Triplane, Blériot, Blackburn Monoplane, English Electric Wren
*Subject to optimal conditions for these very early aircraft. Ends 18.39

There are Free Guided Tours of the Gardens and House available which need to be pre-booked via the website below. The Vintage bus rides will be running during the day and there is normal entry to the Gardens but the hangars will be off limits.
The play area will also be open for 45 minute sessions from 10am on a first come first served basis.

Please look at the website for more detail and more information

https://www.shuttleworth.org/events/drivein-vintage/

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Demon dropped out.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Mike

Post by Mike »

So did the Sopwith Dove

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

And the Stieglitz - was looking forward to that, was a nice little display at the Military show last year.

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Forecast is looking a lot better with light winds from the west and broken cloud for most of the day
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

svas_volunteer wrote:
Fri 04 Sep 2020, 7:03 am
Forecast is looking a lot better with light winds from the west and broken cloud for most of the day
I'll take that... :D

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Thought there might have been a few comments by now.
Good show?

EGL

Post by EGL »

I had a fantastic day yesterday!

First time there with the drive-in format and thought it worked very well - partly down to being fairly close to the front towards the tower. Hangars were also open up as long as your wore a face mask. I also did one of the Flight Line tours which was good.

Great afternoon/evening of flying - almost non-stop from 2 til 7. Got off to a brilliant start with the Catalina - one of the best displays I've seen from it possibly due to the size of the venue - and ended with the Bristol Boxkite, Avro Triplane and Blackburn Monoplane.

Late finish meant it was after 1am when I got home so a struggle getting up for work this morning. Not had time to look at any photos either, all I've managed is to copy the off cards onto the laptop for later.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

It was my first time at Shuttleworth and I thought it was really good. Also I loved the drive-in situation. Having you own personal space right by your car was so much more pleasurable rather than scrums along the flightline.

st24

Post by st24 »

A cracking show that further cements OWs reputation and ability to deliver a quality airshow. Yes, expensive but weighed up against the pitiful amount most of us have spent on airshows this year then well worth it. The opportunity to roam and meet folk and get inside the hangars for a castor oil fix was welcome, a notable change from the August event that felt more regimented. Just a gentle hint of normality returning hopefully. The flying was as excellent as ever with the Gemini, Lunak and Spit/Hurri combine being personal stand outs. However, highlight for me were the Stampes- seeing one is a rarity these days but having 4 dancing around the skies certainly cheered up this old codger, especially the Tiger club machine that I recall from the early '70s being put through it's paces by many a seasoned display pilot of yore. And hell what a truly superb solo display of "proper" aerobatics, loved it. The higher number of visiting aeroplanes was also noted-- any show that gets 7 Chipmunks is immediately in my good books. Chuffed to finally bag the 8Sqn machine and the 2FTS Blue Chips bird also looked impeccable. Even the weather was much better than forecast with much more sun than expected leading to an Edwardian finale. Great stuff.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

The organisation was interesting compared to the August show in that people were allowed to wander, enter the hangers, go to the fence and go on the flight line tour. It almost felt like a normal show. I didn't see the email confirming this until late on Saturday so that was a nice bonus. Generally, from what I could see, I think people behaved responsibly. I was lucky and managed to get a spot on the front row in section B.

Once flying was about to start, they cleared the fence line and people were asked to return to their own bays. Some people pushed their luck and despite the request, which was also broadcast on the speaker system, a small minority still went to the fence during the display. Volunteers had to roam around and invite them to return to their cars. We were told by one of the volunteers that there were Government inspectors on site so any non compliances are likely to have been noted but I would hope that these were not seen to be serious.

This show was again well organised and I think they have learned some lessons from the previous shows regarding parking which was good. I wonder how other planned events which will have larger crowds will cope.

As ever, the displays were sublime which was even better in the slightly better than forecast weather. It was good to see the Edwardians back in the air and I believe the flying didn't finish until sometime around 7pm. There was much to chose from but my personal favourite's were the four colourful Stampes closely followed the Hurricane/Spitfire display.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Another excellent and well organised display. We arrived at about 8 am and was parked at the very front and despite three biplanes being in front of us, due to all the aircraft ground movements during the day, we still got a good view of aircraft landing and taking off.

I could see that just before the display flying started that people who had walked to the very front were told to go back to their cars and allocated boxes and people generally cooperated.

However, there was at least one person during the display who had to be told several times in a row to get back to his car. He walked all the way from his car and in front of the line within a foot of the front of other people's cars. Despite many warnings from a marshal, who was doing excellent work, he then walked through our box. Finally he walked the same back to his car muttering 'I will take the risk.'

Martin Eames

rob68

Post by rob68 »

That was my third event at OW this year and somehow have managed to more or less park in the same spot for all 3 (and that isn't a bad thing).

The Stampes stood out, one did appear to get a little lost on one turn though, the light for the Spitfire and Hurricane was beautiful, did any one else notice the low flying para gliders during this display? Shame the Sea Hurricane went tech.

The only thing for me was it was a bit samey at one stage but that is entirely down to going 3 times in 8 ish weeks so shouldn't be taken a complaint. Duxford has a lot to live up to in a few weeks

(The Mrs prefers it like this btw)

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Outside The Box" - Jakub Zurek reports from inside (and outside) his socially distanced 5x5m box.

Image Image Image