Vintage Air Day Sun 6th Sep

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Roughcutter

Vintage Air Day Sun 6th Sep

Post by Roughcutter »

Does anyone know if this show is likely to go ahead? Advance tickets were refunded, but the event is still advertised on the Shuttleworth site?

DaveBr

Re: Vintage Air Day Sun 6th Sep

Post by DaveBr »

It seems likely they are in the process of converting this show to the 'Drive In' format. In which case tickets need to be sold per car, not per person.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

The website shows this show as a drive-in now, but I can't find where to get tickets from. Are they not on sale yet?

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Tickets have now gone on sale. Change from before in the £50 car pass only allows you to take 2 people in, £20 extra for each additional adult.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

itfcscott wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 11:17 am
Tickets have now gone on sale. Change from before in the £50 car pass only allows you to take 2 people in, £20 extra for each additional adult.
So in effect the same price now to go in as it always used to be with less available to see and do. The fact that each "carload" is trapped within their box, and they can only take so many cars, why make the change? Milking folk in difficult times, mmmm, not the best.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I had already purchased a ticket at the original price. I know I will effectively be paying for the space however, £45 as an SVAS member is expensive as I will be travelling alone.

Mike

Post by Mike »

capercaillie wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 12:10 pm
Milking folk ...
Or how about maximising the income from the limited number of car spaces available, in order to minimise the charity's losses and the number of good people who are losing their jobs there through redundancy?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mike wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 12:28 pm
capercaillie wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 12:10 pm
Milking folk ...
Or how about maximising the income from the limited number of car spaces available, in order to minimise the charity's losses and the number of good people who are losing their jobs there through redundancy?
Like many others who may attend the show. Maximising their income, exploiting a potential loophole they've spotted, call it what you wish, is it necessary at £50 already to park in a field? Let's hope they check people's boots for stowaways at the entrance.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm sure you'd be much happier at any one of the dozens of other airshows taking place across the country this summer if you think that an average of £23.33 a head (£70 split between 3) is 'Milking folk'

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Have to admit - limiting the car people to just 2 now and charging £20 a head for any others is now really expensive and kind of an insult. But they've seen how successful the first 2 events were and are now looking at maximizing income to recoup losses.

Ps - Did anyone get an answer as to if people can go by push bike??
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Mike

Post by Mike »

rdchawk wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 1:21 pm
Have to admit - limiting the car people to just 2 now and charging £20 a head for any others is now really expensive and kind of an insult.
Like I said, £23.33 a head for 3 in a car. Measured against what is that 'really expensive' for an airshow?

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Mike wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 1:39 pm
rdchawk wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 1:21 pm
Have to admit - limiting the car people to just 2 now and charging £20 a head for any others is now really expensive and kind of an insult.
Like I said, £23.33 a head for 3 in a car. Measured against what is that 'really expensive' for an airshow?
Well - it doesnt state on the website either about what age a child goes up to, so if you have any small mates just say they are kids and dont pay for them!
Whisky Connoisseur

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Do we think they will be running the individual shows at losses? Not necessarily good business in a year when income would already be hit substantially.

As for potentially turning each £50 into £110, maybe £130 if a rammed people carrier turns up (do they check who should be socially distanced on entry?), yep they're milking it. They are in effect now guaranteeing charging almost full standard price per person for a show with only the flying display and a toilet on offer. Most attractions around here that are open have discounted heavily where certain elements are not available. Good luck to them, I'm sure it will be a sell out again and as you've pointed out its to save staff jobs, so its for the right reasons.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I never fail to be amazed at the attitude of some of those who call themselves enthusiasts. The one venue anywhere in Europe that has managed to successfully stage airshows this summer, and at twenty-odd quid a head they are accused of ‘milking it’, being ‘really expensive’ and ‘an insult’, and suggesting ways of getting in without paying

No wonder more and more show organisers are throwing in the towel altogether.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Mike wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 1:55 pm
I never fail to be amazed at the attitude of some of those who call themselves enthusiasts. The one venue anywhere in Europe that has managed to successfully stage airshows this summer, and at twenty-odd quid a head they are accused of ‘milking it’, being ‘really expensive’ and ‘an insult’, and suggesting ways of getting in without paying
Indeed. I think it makes perfect sense. The first two shows have sold out well in advance, the second even before a participation list was released. They have had a limit placed on them by space of the number of car spots they can sell. Given the clear demand there has been I don't think it would have been unreasonable for them to have upped the base price from £50 in order to maximise the money coming into the collection. This at least can be seen as a fairer way of doing that and increasing the cost based on the number of people attending and is in line with the way that I have seen other drive-in events structuring their tickets.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mike wrote:
and suggesting ways of getting in without paying
Seriously, you are ribbing me now right, honest? :rofl:

Mike, if they piled the Edwardians up and had a bonfire, you'd say it was necessary to keep the pilots warm.

Mike

Post by Mike »

rdchawk wrote:...if you have any small mates just say they are kids and dont pay for them!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Exploiting loopholes works both ways, just saying it doesn't mention anywhere on the price bit how old children are up to.
Whisky Connoisseur

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Old Warden Checklist
Cameras/memory cards
Wallet - pointless nothing to buy
Food bag
Drinks
Suncream/Umbrella - check forecast
Old school uniform
Cushion for the boot - remember speed bumps and potholes on way in
Cheek big enough for extra tongue
Handgel
Pushbike - maybe

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Mike wrote:

No wonder more and more show organisers are throwing in the towel altogether.
Exactly.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I've been a Shuttleworth supporter and SVAS member for quite a few years now. I also renewed my SVAS membership at a time when I thought it unlikely that there would be any airshows at all this year, content that the money was going to a good cause. However, given that I will be attending this show alone, I think £50 is a little steep, though £50 for two people is not unreasonable in the circumstances.

I purchased an advance ticket at the beginning of August. I wasn't aware that the advance ticket price had been refunded until Roughcutter posted on here and there has been no communication from the Collection either directly or through social media that I am aware of. On checking with my card provider, I see that I have not been refunded. I have tried calling OW today but there was no answer. So now I'm confused. Do I turn up with my existing ticket and risk being turned away and/or charged the difference or do I buy a new one?

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

The flying line up has now been posted for anyone that may be interested as follows:

AIRCRAFT LINE-UP
•14.00 – Flying Boat: Catalina
•14:12 – Classic Racers: Mew Gull, DH88 Comet
•14:26 – BBMF: Spitfire Flypast
•14:31 – Special Operations: Westland Lysander, Polikarpov PO2
•14:45 – Aerobatics: Stieglitz
•14:55 – Between the Wars: Avro Tutor
•15.05 – Barnstorming: Tiger Moth, DH Chipmunk, DH51 ‘Miss Kenya’
•15:27 – Gliders
•15:39 – Silver Wings: Hawker Demon, Gloster Gladiator
•15:42 – WWII: Sea Hurricane, Hawker Hurricane G-HITT, Spitfire AR501
•15:58 – The Magic of Miles: Miles Magister x 2, Miles Messenger, Miles Gemini, Southern Martlet, Hawk Speed Six
•16:25 – Trailblazer: Civillian Coupe
•16:35 – Sopwiths: Camel, Dove, Pup and Triplane
•16:57 – Early Shuttleworth: DH60X, Desoutter, Spartan Arrow
•17:15 – Formation Aerobatics: DH Chipmunk, Auster
•17:25 – WWI: Avro 504K, Bristol M1C
•17:41 – Formation Aerobatics: Stampe Team
•18:00* – Edwardians: Bristol Boxkite, Avro Triplane, Blériot, Blackburn Monoplane, English Electric Wren

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Do we know what the deal is with kids entry?
Does a car entry get you 2 adults and 2 kids?
Can't see it mention kids prices anywhere on the site
Last edited by grant_w on Mon 10 Aug 2020, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike »

A nice line-up. 10 visiting acts, 6 rotaries, a full 4 hours plus of flying.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

grant_w wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 4:08 pm
Do we know what the deal is with kids entry?
Does a car entry get you 2 adults and 2 kids?
Can't see it mention kids prices anywhere on the site
I've emailed them about it, if i hear back i'll let you know.

Mine are only 4 & 8 so don't think it'll be a problem.