Shuttleworth 2021 dates announced

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
SEMAE

Shuttleworth 2021 dates announced

Post by SEMAE »

From their Facebook page-

'Introducing Shuttleworth Air Shows 2021!

2021 sees the return of the award-winning Drive In Air Displays from the Shuttleworth Trust. We have many exciting themes for next year's air shows, we can't wait to welcome you all back for another brilliant air show season!

Sunday 2 May – Season Premiere Drive-In Display
Saturday 15 May – Spies and Intrigue Evening Drive-in Display
Sunday 6 June – Flying Festival of Britain Drive-In Display
Saturday 19 June – A Scurry of Chipmunks Evening Drive-in Display
Sunday 4 July – Military Air Show Drive-in Display
Saturday 17 July – Flying for Fun Evening Drive-in Display
Sunday 1 August – Need for Speed Family Air Show
Saturday 14 August – Flying Circus
Saturday 4 September & Sunday 5 September 2021– Vintage Weekend
Saturday 2 October & Sunday 3 October 2021 – Race Weekend

Tickets available online at www.shuttleworth.org/airshows

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Shuttlewworth 2021 dates announced

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Now allowing pedestrians for the drive-in shows. However, there is a new pricing structure which is essentially another increase if you’re coming by car with more than 1 person.

It’s now £10 for a 5x5m space and each person must have an airshow ticket - £26 (£34 after discounted price ends in February).

Mike

Post by Mike »

The pricing is still very reasonable. I was going to say ‘compared with other live events’ but I suspect there won’t be many of those in the first half of 2021 to compare a £21-£34 ticket price against.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

It’s good to see Shuttleworth thinking about what 2021 will potentially look like and how to make sure the event can hopefully go ahead, when no one knows what the situation will be by then.

Themes are a little dull in my opinion but it does give a lot of scope to what can be booked I guess.

Glad to see there’s options for not driving. With the expense, I won’t be able to justify it until a display lists start emerging.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Ryan. wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 3:31 pm
Themes are a little dull in my opinion but it does give a lot of scope to what can be booked I guess.
I have to agree, they do - although typically the shows will pique more interest when the line-ups are announced.

Aquarious

Re: Shuttleworth 2021 dates announced

Post by Aquarious »

I'm looking forward to it already, though a lot of water will have to flow under the bridge between now and May. The two weekend events in September and October could be an interesting format. The October race day flying display is on the Saturday with what I assume is the usual Sunday format of cars and aircraft. While its not stated, I assume the Sunday event will be cars only.

The website also states that if the law changes to allow increased audiences, they will refund the box price and parking will return to 'normal'. The 'supervalue' tickets at £26 will be available up to 28th February when they will increase to £34 as indicated by Jakub. From a personal point of view, the change to the pricing structure are very welcome as I mostly travel there on my own.

Post by 5944 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 4:44 pm
Ryan. wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 3:31 pm
I have to agree, they do - although typically the shows will pique more interest when the line-ups are announced.
Definitely. The name of the themes haven't been too inspiring recently, but they usual have a few gems amongst the display. Pair of Lysanders at sunset in May please?!

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

The prices are wrong on the Flying Circus event, hopefully they'll be corrected soon.

The move to cheaper prices for single visitors like me means I'll be able to attend more shows next year, very much looking forward to it already!

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

Shuttleworth have responded on the Flying Circus tickets:

"Ticket prices are correct, slight error in the description it should read 'the adult ticket will go up to £42 and the SVAS ticket will go up to £38'"

Seems to be aiming for a replacement to the proms event with increased pricing accordingly.

Mike

Post by Mike »

It wasn’t so long ago that SVAS member tickets were half price. Now the saving is not much more than 10% when you factor in the cost of a parking space. 😢

Orion

Post by Orion »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 1:33 pm
Now allowing pedestrians for the drive-in shows. However, there is a new pricing structure which is essentially another increase if you’re coming by car with more than 1 person.

It’s now £10 for a 5x5m space and each person must have an airshow ticket - £26 (£34 after discounted price ends in February).
Which means I won't be attending, which is a shame. I've been going for decades but the pension won't extend to these silly prices.
I suspect that many other elderly enthusiasts, the backbone of the Shuttleworth Shows for many years, will be responding similarly.

LinkGaz56

Post by LinkGaz56 »

I am in two minds about the pricing structure for next year. I can see that they need to recover lost income from this season and also optimize income next season with the conditions they are allowed to operate under. Also I can see that if you are a pedestrian it is now good as you will be allowed to attend.
On a personal level it will be worse for me and the increased price will mean that now it will be a case of picking one maybe two dates if the weather looks ok and tickets are available. Having been to two events , the first and the last shows my wife attended with me as she preferres the older aircraft and we both enjoyed both days, though the weather was rather different on the two occasions. The cost was £50 for us both, very good value, next year for us both will potentially cost £78 should we both go. Not a huge increase but enough to make us think twice, if it were still £50 a car with two occupants then £10.00 for a space I wouldn't mind. Also I am assuming the pedestrian spaces will take some of the space previously for car spaces in section A meaning less car space in that area.
As I say I am in two minds, we are almost definitely entering a period of lass events in general to attend, not just air displays. Shuttleworth should be applauded for adapting to the situation and still offering a display to attend and they fully deserve support. I intended to join SVAS next season and most likely still will, I just won't attend the shows as much as I had planned.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

At the discounted rate one person will pay £36, isn't that pretty much what the standard tickets pre covid used to cost?

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

Checking my 2019 records, it was around £25 if prebooked before the day for the military airshow and flying festivals. It was only the flying proms which was £36. I wonder if we're going to see large groups of "pedestrians" being dropped off at the gate? :D

I think that the new pricing is a reasonable compromise given the restrictions they're now having to deal with.

IMHO Shuttleworth's greatest display asset (the wide varied range of home based aircraft) can also be it's greatest weakness as the shows can feel a little bit samey if you try to attend the majority of them in a year. Hopefully there'll be a good mix of home based and visiting acts next year :D

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Is that general public or SVAS price?
Edit: just did some digging looks like that was general public. My mistake I must have been thinking of the gate prices, I thought the advanced tickets had pushed over £30.