Flying For Fun - 17th July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Aquarious

Re: Flying For Fun - 17th July

Post by Aquarious »

I agree. I was tempted to go on Saturday, but couldn't get there until 5pm. I didn't think the risk of being several rows back or down towards the house was worth it, especially as a lot of the aircraft were pretty small, even by Shuttleworth standards. I'm not fussed about standing at the fence, but I usually stand about 20 feet back.
I arrived at 4.30 after a leisurely drive up and found myself in Zone A approximately ten rows back. It's a little further than 20 feet but the view was excellent and I had no complaints. Quite a few people arrived after me, I didn't count but there were only two or three rows of cars behind me.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

UKTopgun wrote:
Tue 20 Jul 2021, 10:50 am
Yes I think I have only ever watched the Eds in gloomy dusky light, normally this is because the winds often die down later in the evening but on Sat the windsock seemed limp most of the day so a pity they could not fly 30 mins earlier.
Of course it's understandable why they are at the end of the show, to give them maximum chance of flying with the wind hopefully dropping before sunset. However maybe a degree of flexibility could be considered? The Edwardians could take a few slots earlier, only if the wind allows or wait till the every end if the wind isn't still enough for them yet.

It's a small issue, it didn't for me detract from the evening but would be nice to see them in better light, if on the day that's possible.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

DerekF wrote:
Mon 19 Jul 2021, 7:13 pm
I have to say I was surprised that despite signs saying facecoverings should be worn in the hangars, very few were.
The trouble were Shuttleworth air shows is that you get a bit spoilt as they are, hassle-free, pleasant affairs and a thoroughly nice way to spend a day. The thought of going back to queues, fenceline barging, security checks, getting up at the crack of dawn etc. is not a nice one. Still, enjoy while it lasts.
You can still sit by your car in the future..! :-)
Personally I'm looking forward to at least getting the option of sitting where I like again. Main reason I haven't been to the drive-in shows (although the evening shows are much quieter anyway I guess).

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Forgot to mention the only downside to the day for me which was the total closure of the M25 Infront of me, leading to a mad scramble to leave the motorway and a cross country drive to pick up the A1 at Stevenage!

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Just to explain the Ed's normally flying at the end of the show, as people have rightly said it is due to the low wind speeds but also the thermal activity has usually calmed down by the end of the show. On a hot sunny day the air is very choppy at low level around the trees which isn't great for the delicate airframes.
The other issue the eds have is the fabric will tighten in direct sunlight as it warms it up and again the delicate airframes don't react well to being compressed by their own coverings which is why they are usually only got out when they will definitely be flown.
That's how it has been for the last 25 years or so, the Avro triplane has been flown earlier in the show.as.it and the Blackburn are the best performers but it usually makes sense to group them together at the end as they are labour intensive needing people.at points along the flight line to recover them after their flights.
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Thanks for this explanation, fascinating facts! 👍