Post by nickosbad »

CJS wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 3:09 pm
There is a French duo 👍🏼
Meant French fast jet with Mirage Couteau/Ramex Delta

reidms88

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by reidms88 »

Off subject, but does anyone know which time the traffic management switches from arriving traffic to departing traffic? I'm camping this this year at Townsend Farm (right in the middle of the one way system) but i need to leave on the Sunday morning/lunch time, and i'm wondering how/when i'll be able to get out?

Edit: Arriving friday evening as well, so wondering if i need to get there before the traffic switches to people leaving

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Kempsford guidance suggests some time around midday, I think.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I would assume that if you actually have to leave the area beforehand you can though. Might just be fiddly!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

A lot of years ago it changed at 1400 or 1500 IIRC. That is if they manage to get everybody in by then. Remember the traffic mess back in 2002 when there was also a two years hiatus in Fairford shows.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Just managed to find the showground map in the navigational nightmare that airtattoo.com is now.

Just puzzled. The text about the Village Green says this thing (in which the Vintage Village is located) is in green, the map shows it in red, so on the complete opposite side of the public area. To make it even more complicated: the map for Friday shows the area, but doesn't describe what it is meant for (you have to scroll down for the map for Saturday and Sunday to find out), nor does it for every other thing in red (only blue and yellow). I thought red would be open on Friday?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 7:04 pm
Just managed to find the showground map in the navigational nightmare that airtattoo.com is now.

Just puzzled. The text about the Village Green says this thing (in which the Vintage Village is located) is in green, the map shows it in red, so on the complete opposite side of the public area. To make it even more complicated: the map for Friday shows the area, but doesn't describe what it is meant for (you have to scroll down for the map for Saturday and Sunday to find out), nor does it for every other thing in red (only blue and yellow). I thought red would be open on Friday?
Yes, it is quite confusing.

Red zone is open on Friday, green zone isn't.

Website suggests Vintage Green and Vintage Village Tent are combined in Green, but map shows both in Red. Looks like they repurposed an older map and forgot to update it.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I don't know what you've been looking at, but these look pretty clear to me....

https://www.airtattoo.com/files/headeri ... Friday.jpg

https://www.airtattoo.com/files/headeri ... Sunday.jpg

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 8:22 pm
I don't know what you've been looking at, but these look pretty clear to me....

https://www.airtattoo.com/files/headeri ... Friday.jpg

https://www.airtattoo.com/files/headeri ... Sunday.jpg
Yeah, it is clear on the map as in red.

However on the website
The Village Green is a new immersive experience for 2022 encapsulating a range of features and activities for everyone including our ever popular Vintage Village. Located in the Green Zone to the western end of the showground

Berf

Post by Berf »

And why is there a map of 2019 up there? It just makes it all more confusing

https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visit ... ground-map

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

I was looking at the replies about today's update and I just have to post this :joy:
It also seems the Beluga announcement has pleased many people, but likewise theres many disappointed Sunday ticket holders.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Ugh, the 75th anniversary is not the main theme. It is the anniversary theme. The main operational theme is Trainer.

After 3 years, the line up is fantastic.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

If the F-35 was displaying, they’d moan it wasn’t the F-22. If the F-22 was displaying, they’d moan it wasn’t the A-10. If the A-10 was displaying, they’d moan it wasn’t the B-1.

Each to their own, but I don’t really get the clamour of an F-35. Every other airforce has (or will have) and with low viz markings they all look pretty much the same anyway.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Tommy wrote: they all look pretty much the same anyway
Doesn't stop people enjoying multiple Spitfires....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I’m talking about F-35s, not Spitfires.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Great update today ..

Personally it would be great to get the
70 formation in the flypast.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

In a few years time the same people will be complaining "too many F35s" just like the "too many F16s" complaints we normally get.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

I was wondering is there any behind the scenes footage from RIAT prep? Imagine YouTube vlogs with the team in discussion with a particular air arm about their attendance, finding out what has confirmed/ cancelled, static park/ flying display prep etc 😁 hopefully one day, they could make it a FRIAT exclusive for example releasing each year after RIAT.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

phreakf4 wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 10:16 pm
Tommy wrote: they all look pretty much the same anyway
Doesn't stop people enjoying multiple Spitfires....
Well yeah, it's Spitfires. One of the most beautiful machines ever built. And the sound!

F-35s are dull, soulless heaps of metal I could personally take or leave. I'm quite glad air forces won't have enough of them for future events to be filled with identical examples. (Yes, I know pilots love them & they do the job they're designed for very well....but I'm not a pilot, so that's not super important to me)

The comment posted above complaining about a lack of USAF flying acts is just the sort of pathetic entitled nonsense that I used to reply to on Farcebook, but I learned it's a waste of time & life is too short! 😄

Vulcan82

Post by Vulcan82 »

reidms88 wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 3:57 pm
Off subject, but does anyone know which time the traffic management switches from arriving traffic to departing traffic? I'm camping this this year at Townsend Farm (right in the middle of the one way system) but i need to leave on the Sunday morning/lunch time, and i'm wondering how/when i'll be able to get out?

Edit: Arriving friday evening as well, so wondering if i need to get there before the traffic switches to people leaving

Have camped Townsend for a number of years and have never had a problem leaving Sunday morning (usually between 7 and 9am) left off the campsite then almost immediate right on the road that runs alongside the base into Fairford village, from there you're free. Always there by Friday so can't advise on that sorry

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 10:25 pm
I’m talking about F-35s, not Spitfires.
Many of us DX volunteers ignore the Spitfires now, but get excited by Hurricanes and the Lysander.
Anyway, a week today I will be on the road to Fairford, with cameras at the ready, floppy hat dusted down and four days worth of sandwiches in the cool box.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Have to say compared to other e-mails of aircraft at the show, last night's seemed a bit, oops I better send this before I go home.

OK Bahrain Hercules starts it off, no mention at all of the C-2 on only its second UK visit?

Then we announce "the last" of our flying participants, so don't hold your breath hoping for USAF flypasts other than what has to be kept quiet, An E-3 and the Poseidon, again not mentioning probably the choice item on debut the Beluga XL.

I'm sure previous mailings had mentioned almost all additions.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

verreli

Post by verreli »

capercaillie wrote:
Fri 08 Jul 2022, 8:24 am
Have to say compared to other e-mails of aircraft at the show, last night's seemed a bit, oops I better send this before I go home.
Makes you wonder why they didn't just cut and paste the website text with a nice pretty picture. Additional effort for something not as good.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tbf that’s why I unsubscribed from them a few years ago.

verreli

Post by verreli »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 08 Jul 2022, 7:12 am
Anyway, a week today I will be on the road to Fairford, with cameras at the ready, floppy hat dusted down and four days worth of sandwiches in the cool box.
BBQ for breakfast, dinner and tea for 4 days here (Translation for Southerners: Lunch and Dinner).