Shuttleworth Vintage Weekend 4-5th September

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Corky

Shuttleworth Vintage Weekend 4-5th September

Post by Corky »

Have seen that Shuttleworth have posted a line-up for the Sunday display - which includes Peter Teichman's Russian Spitfire! Hopefully some more additions to come and then all we need is decent weather.

https://www.shuttleworth.org/vintage-ai ... t-line-up/

Tom105

Re: Shuttleworth Vintage Weekend 4-5th September

Post by Tom105 »

Normal service resumed no more boxes!
Thomas

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Good news! Hopefully the weather will play ball for a great day.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Swordfish added, I've not seen that in the air for such a long time.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Aquarious wrote:
Wed 18 Aug 2021, 10:47 am
Swordfish added, I've not seen that in the air for such a long time.
I see the Lancaster added as I don't think that was in the line up before, but I don't see the Swordfish yet, lets hope it is coming.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Well, the Swordfish was there this morning, but now its gone!
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

That's a bummer, the Swordfish was the deal clincher for me as I was deciding between Cosby and the Shuttleworth. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good line up, especially if the Lancaster turns up.

That must have been one of the fastest line up U turns ever.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Does anyone know if practice displays/arrivals will happen on the Saturday??
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Mike

Post by Mike »

The Saturday is a linked vintage event, with no flying scheduled. Arrivals and practices at Old Warden generally happen on the morning of the event.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

I know SW just updated their website but the new pages are a hot mess right now! The airshow info is hidden away…

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

by BrawlerO » Thu 19 Aug 2021, 7:50 am
I know SW just updated their website but the new pages are a hot mess right now! The airshow info is hidden away…
Yes I agree, it's very clunky, difficult to find stuff and I would expect to be able to find all airshow related events and information together.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

The website is another vanity project from the New Management. Have you noticed how the biggest selling point to visit the Shuttleworth is the "60 acres of parkland" The world class collection of aircraft and vehicles is simply being lost. Lots has changed at Old Warden, agreed somethings needed changing, but I fear we have not seen the last of these changes.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

BrawlerO wrote:
Thu 19 Aug 2021, 7:50 am

Agreed! I did eventually find the vintage weekend event and thought it wise to copy a link so to save anyone else the anguish of a Cooks tour of the website looking for it here is the link: https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/vintageweekend/
If I need to find it again I shall look here as it will be far easier than searching the website again ​- what have they done?

The biggest problem is that on the home page there is a link to 'EVENTS' sod it, might as well be helpful, here's a link : https://www.shuttleworth.org/events/ but when you click on it the selection area is so far down the page it isn't visible unless you scroll down. I just looks like a pretty picture of people looking at a Gladiator.
I missed the selection panel a couple of times but when you see it click on 'Select Activity' and Airshows will appear in the dropdown, once you do that is is fairly easy to follow but getting that far is a pain, the dropdowns would be far better at the top of the page so they are immediately visible (and obvious) - it's the most important part because that's where people go to buy their tickets. hopefully very few will give up because they need the funds from ticket sales.

rant over
Andy
andygolfer
winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

melcragg

Post by melcragg »

Blackbird wrote:
Thu 19 Aug 2021, 7:33 pm
If it ain't broke...don't fix it!
Why they decided to change their website mid-season was a very risky approach. Surely it would have been more sensible to do after the final show in October, then they would have all winter to refine it.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

That would require the application of logic.....

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

The Collection decided to spend the £625,000 Government COVID recovery fund money the new website.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

If I may inject a bit of positivity into this relentlessly downbeat thread, the Russian Spitfire and Po-2 will be flying together at the show, which is a terrific touch. Strong line-up, hoping the now legendary Dirt(y) Box is back again for personal burger-based reasons.

As you were...

Oh and
DOUGHNUT wrote:
Fri 20 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm
The Collection decided to spend the £625,000 Government COVID recovery fund money the new website.
Nope.

melcragg

Post by melcragg »

Shuttleworth is my favourite place on the planet. The airshows are magical. I would go to every one if I could.

No organisation is perfect. Last Sunday they hosted a car show - petrolhedonism. I was still on the campsite after the show the evening before.

A thousand youngsters in outrageous cars with loud exhausts etc.

You can imagine the reaction of the Old Warden residents when their village was turned into a race track.

I suspect Shuttleworth will get inundated with complaints.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Just noticed - RAF Red Arrows flypast added to the list
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Nice one. What does that mean though? I assume that it's a single flypast in formation.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes, they did one earlier in the season too. Direction depends on wherever they're travelling to and from - last time it was from behind the crowd. Presumably this time they'll be returning to Scampton from Bournmouth. Let's hope they can manage a full 9-ship!

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Mike wrote:
Thu 26 Aug 2021, 10:12 am
Yes, they did one earlier in the season too. Direction depends on wherever they're travelling to and from - last time it was from behind the crowd. Presumably this time they'll be returning to Scampton from Bournmouth. Let's hope they can manage a full 9-ship!
one of their aircraft had a bird strike whilst displaying at Marham families day yesterday and had to abort so they finished with an 8 ship. I'm off to clacton later for the display there so will find out if it's been fixed overnight and report back
Andy
andygolfer

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

andygolfer wrote:
Thu 26 Aug 2021, 10:35 am
Mike wrote:
Thu 26 Aug 2021, 10:12 am
one of their aircraft had a bird strike whilst displaying at Marham families day yesterday and had to abort so they finished with an 8 ship. I'm off to clacton later for the display there so will find out if it's been fixed overnight and report back
Andy
pleased to confirm that a full formation of 9 aircraft performed
Andy
andygolfer

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

andygolfer wrote:
Thu 19 Aug 2021, 5:05 pm
BrawlerO wrote:
Thu 19 Aug 2021, 7:50 am

Agreed! I did eventually find the vintage weekend event and thought it wise to copy a link so to save anyone else the anguish of a Cooks tour of the website looking for it here is the link: https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/vintageweekend/
If I need to find it again I shall look here as it will be far easier than searching the website again ​-

rant over
Andy
Hi Andy completely agree with the website, seems to have not been set up with phones in mind... Just a quick question you said to avoid the "anguish of a Cooks tour of the website"
Where do you know the phrase Cooks tour from?

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS