Complaint to Old Warden - have a been too harsh?

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
pbeardmore

Complaint to Old Warden - have a been too harsh?

Post by pbeardmore »

I am afraid I am writing to complain about the dreadful traffic issues at the Spring Airshow yesterday. I have been visiting the airshows for many years and this is the first time I have had cause to complain. The gridlock on the approaching roads, IMHO seemed to be caused by:
1. Another event being held on the same day (classic car show), using the same access road simply does not make sense, there must be enough weekends in the year not to have these clashes. Especially when, by having AROC at the show, they cannot attend the classic car show. Will you be informing potential visitors of future airshows or similar clashes?
2. When we parked up, the traffic was being "marshalled" by 2 girls aged around 15/16 who were as usefulll as a chocolate fireguard. If you charge £20 for entry, visitors have a right to expect proffesional traffic management in place (their plight was not helped by the fact that the field was full of roaming sheep!
3. I realise that you are limited in this area, by funneling all the initial batch of cars through the small gate, you are asking for problems, there must be more imaginative ways of getting around this. (fast track entrance for advance ticket holders?)
4. We came in a 1960 Alfa and were dissapointed that the AROC enclosure was full very early. By looking around the field, we were not the only Alfa owners who had missed the opportunity of parking in the officail AROC enclosure. There were some real classics which would have added to the exhibition. If you make an effort to invite car owners, you should then have somewhere for them all to meet. A seperate entrance would be an idea (but that was being used by the classic car show).
All very unfortunate to say the least.
As usual, the spectacle in the air was superb, just the action on the ground needing more work.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Manonthefence

Re: Complaint to Old Warden - have a been too harsh?

Post by Manonthefence »

Please write to
The General Manager
The Shuttleworth Collection
Shuttleworth (Old Warden) Aerodrome
Nr. Biggleswade,
Bedfordshire
SG18 9EP

Your comments will be appreciated and you arent the only one to feel like this. However they probably wont be read by those who matter if they only appear here.
I have to get there early so I never get involved in traffic, however one of the great points about Shuttleworth is the lack of traffic issues. It would be a shame for this to change and your comments will help.

Thanks

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

sorry , should have clarified, complaint has already been posted
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

Great, thanks for that. It all helps, I flew a sortie in Peter Holloways helicopter with the sole aim of getting shots of the traffic problems. Unfortunately by the time we flew it has mostly dissipated.

Suffice to say the problems yesterday are not being ignored.

rambo

Post by rambo »

I have to say I thought it was awful as well!!

Shame, because me and my family have been going to Old Warden for over 20yrs, seeing nearly every airshow, and this first show was the worst ever! Main thing, traffic/parking. The poor air cadets were not doing a very good job parking cars, leaving no gaps for anyone to get out. This was mainly because all the adult staff I saw seemed to just wonder off!!!!

I know there is nothing you can do about it, but I personally think its time old blondy left, and someone decent takes over as manager. The price of everything has gone up since she has taken over (entry cost and cost for traders). Also, she clearly wanted to make more money by holding the two events together, but consequently reuined it for both airshow enthusiasts and the alfa club!

Still love old warden, but please dont let this happen again as it ruins a lovely atmosphere/show!

rambo

Post by rambo »

Not sure whether they mean a lot to be honest.

It had been really well advertised all over the place, which obviously attracted people, but I think most of them it was their first time. And after speaking to a few, they said they wont be going again.

To be honest I hope it doesnt attract too many people, otherwise it will just turn into Duxford, in which case I might as well go there lol

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

DanO1978 wrote:The record crowd numbers reported yesterday need to be taken into account, I suppose.

It baffles me that organisers of any event try to put the blame on the public by saying that too many of them turned up and therefore, thats what caused the problem. It's like going to a restaurant and the waiter saying that there is a long wait for the food as they are very busy at the moment! Good management should have plans in place. The weather forcast was pretty good, AROC are a deddicated bunch who always support these events well (all they had to do was to call Duxford and ask how many AROC members attended their last event), first show of the season where punters are desperate to get to see some flying for the first time etc etc. And they had another event on the same day. Good management should be about planning for this. Would they rather 30% stayed at home? good for traffic, bad for their bank balance.

Looking forward to their response

PS we chatted to a few car loads of people who had just turned around in the gridlock and decided to go home. Every car load represented not only lost revenue but also bad PR. In the middle of the "credit crunch" no business can afford to turn customers away like that.

PPS who is "old blondy"

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

pbeardmore wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:The record crowd numbers reported yesterday need to be taken into account, I suppose.

It baffles me that organisers of any event try to put the blame on the public by saying that too many of them turned up and therefore, thats what caused the problem. It's like going to a restaurant and the waiter saying that there is a long wait for the food as they are very busy at the moment! Good management should have plans in place. The weather forcast was pretty good, AROC are a deddicated bunch who always support these events well (all they had to do was to call Duxford and ask how many AROC members attended their last event), first show of the season where punters are desperate to get to see some flying for the first time etc etc. And they had another event on the same day. Good management should be about planning for this. Would they rather 30% stayed at home? good for traffic, bad for their bank balance.

Looking forward to their response

PS we chatted to a few car loads of people who had just turned around in the gridlock and decided to go home. Every car load represented not only lost revenue but also bad PR. In the middle of the "credit crunch" no business can afford to turn customers away like that.

PPS who is "old blondy"

With due respect, the organisers haven't said anything about crowd, the only person who has attempted to mention the crowd numbers was Dan. For what its worth I think the crowd numbers may have been a reason but not an excuse.

Anyway, your comments are all welcome, they would be even better if you could take the time to write a letter to the collection as I indicated above. The Collection are aware of this thread but there is no substitute for putting pen to paper, it all helps.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Sorry, not claiming that Old Warden said this. But have been to other shows that have blamed big crowds for traffic mess

Fox

Post by Fox »

It was a bit frustrating on Sunday - especially when Blondy charged up in her Car and started shouting at the drivers of the cars (all nose to tail and desperate to get in before the start of flying) - to hurry up and get parked !!!! Needless to say she got short shrift from a number of drivers and she immediately disappeared again :)

However, it didnt spoil a good day and the introduction of another fashion photographer to the art of shooting aeroplanes :) He is now hooked and desperate for the next show :)