Mildenhall Air Fete 1984

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Spiny Norman

Mildenhall Air Fete 1984

Post by Spiny Norman »

The main attraction was the Thunderbirds but looking back they maybe weren't as notable as a couple of supersonic stars who flew. Went on the Saturday but looks like we didn't get the best of the weather that weekend.

Taken on print film using a 50mm or 200 mm which would debar you getting in to a present-day show! There's more at the Flickr.

Don't know who was being interviewed for Concorde TV.

capercaillie

Re: Mildenhall Air Fete 1984

Post by capercaillie »

Good to see Norman, I seem to recall they moved the 1984 show into June to catch the Thunderbirds, who also went to Upper Heyford show.

I think it was televised as well with the chap off That's Life, Chris thingamyjig.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Yes I was all set for a "On this Day" post then realised it was in June.

Those were the days, airshows on TV. Found half of the show - it was none other than David Icke, before he went all...David Icke.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

capercaillie wrote:
Thu 27 May 2021, 4:19 pm
Good to see Norman, I seem to recall they moved the 1984 show into June to catch the Thunderbirds, who also went to Upper Heyford show.

I think it was televised as well with the chap off That's Life, Chris thingamyjig.
Certainly a great show sorely missed. Good memories. I think that Presenter was Chris Serle, not to be confused with Chris Searle who murdered his wife. :open_mouth:

bobtomlin

Post by bobtomlin »

Thanks for putting these up. I'd been trying to find that footage from the BBC programme 'Holiday Air' for some time, but without success.
What a superb time that was and what amazing footage of the Blackbird. Seems like 'they don't make 'em like that any more'. Awesome.

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

those were the days, real american hot dogs/burgers and ice cold drinks, awesome air displays, what more could you want.
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees