RAF Leuchars Airshow 1982

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Spiny Norman

RAF Leuchars Airshow 1982

Post by Spiny Norman »

As the first show after the Falklands War there was a high level of types that had taken part in the conflict on show. Also the first appearance of a RAF Tornado in the static. A dull day affording lots of opportunities to catch silhouettes.

More on the Flickr.

Ant.H

Re: RAF Leuchars Airshow 1982

Post by Ant.H »

Lovely stuff, and featuring '607 no less.

Love the static Harrier shot.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

And somewhere in the crowd is a 4 year-old me, attending his first ever airshow!

Thanks for sharing... unsurprisingly, my memories are somewhat hazy (although I do have some, at least, including being taken up in a pleasure flight over St Andrews Bay by my mum and dad).
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Oh if I could have taken a time machine back to an Airshow that I didn't attend it would have been this one! After the Falklands and with the XM607 Vulcan on Static as well as some of the other Aircraft which were involved, just out of interest which Vulcan was that taking off? Also how many of the Victors used to refuel Black Buck attended as I see one in the background of the XM607 photo?

Having attended the Post Gulf 1991 shows at IAT Fairford and Leuchars Airshow I always wondered what the Airshows after The Falklands were like?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Happy daze indeed. Another of those shows that I wish I'd more cash to spend on film as there's plenty in the static that I would have just had a look at and not photographed. Think I took 72 shots...

Have had a look and the flying Vulcan is from 50 Squadron which would make it XJ823 I think. Another one listed is XL391.

There were two Victors: XL191 and XL512. (Serials via Scramble.nl). Not sure which one flew and which was in the static.

Interestingly no Sea Harriers. Not sure why, as they were on display at Farnborough the same month.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Unknown74 wrote:
Wed 30 Jun 2021, 8:45 am
Oh if I could have taken a time machine back to an Airshow that I didn't attend it would have been this one! After the Falklands and with the XM607 Vulcan on Static as well as some of the other Aircraft which were involved, just out of interest which Vulcan was that taking off? Also how many of the Victors used to refuel Black Buck attended as I see one in the background of the XM607 photo?

Having attended the Post Gulf 1991 shows at IAT Fairford and Leuchars Airshow I always wondered what the Airshows after The Falklands were like?
'607 was also in the static of the Abingdon Battle of Britain At Home Day in September 1982, and what's more, the cockpit was open to the public as well when I was doing my static walk around early in the morning, so it was worth the 10 min queue to climb up that ladder and squeeze between the seats to get to seat in the left hand seat where only a few months earlier MW had flown BB1 from.

Irish251

Post by Irish251 »

XM607 also appeared at Binbrook in late August 1982 and carried mission markings.