RNAS Stretton - H.M.S.Blackcap in the 50's

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
voodoo

RNAS Stretton - H.M.S.Blackcap in the 50's

Post by voodoo »

During the 50's we had two local mi.l bases in the area,RNAS Stretton(HMS Blackcap) and USAF Burtonwood.I remember visiting both bases as a kid,but the attached shots appeared from a envelpoe last night whilst binning some old documents-must have been given to me many years ago.They appear to portray a Royal visit to Stretton.Not too sure of the date ,but the base ceased flying in 1956,any ideas?

Dollar99

Re: RNAS Stretton - H.M.S.Blackcap in the 50's

Post by Dollar99 »

Interesting set. A quick Google of the Royal Flight Heron XH375 shows it was delivered May '55 hence narrowing down your timeframe!

SKYRAIDER

Post by SKYRAIDER »

What a fascinating collection of photos they are, thanks for showing them to us,
Rob

HOLTY

Post by HOLTY »

Is that Prince Philip? and where the hells Stretton??

Cool find though..

CLOUDHAWK

Post by CLOUDHAWK »

Great shots !

Look at the finish on that "QF" Heron .

:clap: :clap:

voodoo

Post by voodoo »

Holty,RNAS Stretton was located about 2 miles to the south of Warrington,near to the village of Appleton Thorn.The main runway ia still there,but the tech site is now a industrial site,incorporating some of the original hangers.

raiford

Post by raiford »

fascinating, love the photos with the Attackers, maybe the Royal visit is connected with the end of flying if the Heron was delivered in '55, and flying ended in '56? or am I stating the obvious :oops:

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron »

The Attackers are from 1831 NAS of the RNVR.
HMS Blackcap closed on 4th November 1958 according to FAA history. So the photos could be from this ceremony.
One of the shots also shows the crew in front of a high wing aircraft with the serial XB???. Is this an Avenger? There was an anti-submarine NAS based at Stetton - 1841.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Red Baron wrote:The Attackers are from 1831 NAS of the RNVR.
HMS Blackcap closed on 4th November 1958 according to FAA history. So the photos could be from this ceremony.
One of the shots also shows the crew in front of a high wing aircraft with the serial XB???. Is this an Avenger? There was an anti-submarine NAS based at Stetton - 1841.

Serial fits an Avenger AS5, so that part is right.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

sandylane

Post by sandylane »

The visit of the Duke of Edinburgh took place on 17/18th May 1956 to inspect the Northern Air Division. He also had a brief tour of the station on the 18th.
A report of the occasion is given in the book ' Royal Navy Air Station Stretton, H.M.S. BLACKCAP'. This and a further book of photos were produced by the Antrobus Heritage group and details may be found on http://www.antrobusheritage.co.uk.

Robin

Post by Robin »

In the late 1950s I spent many happy hours at the end of the Stretton runway watching Attackers, Avengers and Wyverns operate from there, what a sound those Wyverns made, also visited the airstation a couple of times with the local aviation group (MGAE).

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

NEV

Post by NEV »

On the 4th photograph down (with the officer saluting HRH) the Duke was inspecting the Blackcap Gliding Club, Commander Air (Ronnie Hay) and the Captain are on the left - the club winch (a sawn off furniture wagon with a modified barrage balloon winch on top) is at the back. Two other Tiffys, John Scarbourgh & John Sliney had built our own Slingsby T31 two seater glider which I had test flown.
At the L/H end of the line up was the Chief Cook (who I had been giving gliding lessons to) and on the R/H end of the line up (looking terribly smart!) was me. To my right was my Naval Airman Fitter 'Dolly' Gray.

Our day time job was preparing D/H Venom 20 and 21 MK for issue to front line squadrons after them being delivered to RNAS Stretton from D/H at Hawarden, Chester.
R Nev Boulton, one time Petty Officer, Aircraft Artificer, V&VRDU, RNAS STRETTON

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

Fascinating to see some operational Attackers!
Thanks for posting those.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Great shots! Is that Pegasus on the nose of the Attacker's?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

eng3

Post by eng3 »

Hi, these are great to see and brilliant scans :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank goodness you checked the envelope contents, sadly I've managed to lose a few goodies in my time. The best attacker shot I have is of the gate guardian at HMS Sanderling, Abbotsinch, need to look it out (hope I've stil got it :roll: ) Thanks for posting.

Tony Elliott

Post by Tony Elliott »

In photo 1 my father, Commander A.G.P.Elliott, appears (a bit of him) just to the left of HRH and behind the officer in flying kit. He also appears, obscured again, at the extreme right of photo 2. He told me that later on in the mess, half of HRH's tie was ceremoniously scissored off and he was presented with a squadron tie. I don't know if this was a squadron, VR or FAA tradition.

The following year, by which time he commanded the Northern Air Division in succession to Commander R.I.Gilchrist, he made a final flight in an Avenger just before the NAD stood down. He flew as Observer, with Lt-Cdr "Jack" Frost as Pilot. I was then a 17-year-old Air Training Corps cadet and I flew buried down in the back of the aircraft trying to work an ASH9 radar.

With the air divisions now gone, aircrew had to remove the gold braid 'A' from inside the curl of lace on sleeves, though they kept their wings. As my father was transferred to the intelligence branch, it was for a time replaced with a braid 'X' instead, which he and everyone thought hilarious.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Stretton is still an airfield. Just 400m of grass/concrete though.