Eastern discoveries 1993

Eastern discoveries 1993

Postby orion2 on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

Hello,

1993 saw the withdrawal of all the MiG-27 regiments formerly stationed in eastern Germany. In March 1993, I spent three days attending the departures of the Floggers from the 559 APIB (Finsterwalde), the 296 APIB (Grossenhain) and the 19 GvAPIB (Mirow-Lärz). The large group of photographers/spotters could attend these events courtesy of the great Russian hospitality (and also the obvious lack of official directives and organisation to handle such people !)

First, the departures of the Floggers from Finsterwalde :

the distinctive nose of the MiG-27K

After 2 hours of intense activity, it was time to head to Grossenhain; here we entered the base through the fence near the last-chance point.

After that, it was time to drive north to the Mirow-area in order to attend the last regiment departing

During the small ceremony, a local German Army unit displayed an humorous banner...the Russian were not amused and the banner was quickly removed.. :lol:

Pre-flight procedure

I then went closer to the runway to try a different angle...these were taken with a...80 mm lens !

Hope you like these. If anybody as pics of the same events, please feel free to add these to this post.

Marc
orion2

Re: Eastern discoveries 1993

Postby BigClick67 on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 7:31 pm

That´s a great post!! :clap: Unfortunately I missed all of that Ex-Soviet/Russian hardware after the wall came down...aarrrrghh! :mad:
Would love to see more of this stuff here. Many thanks for sharing these!
BigClick67

Postby Tommy on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 8:09 pm

Excellent post! :worship:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby exdraken on Fri 03 Feb 2017, 4:19 pm

wow!

what a time then!

great photos, thanks for posting, and awaiting more ;)
exdraken

Postby Leeflyer on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 11:12 am

Most excellent post, I was aware of this happening but not able to get out there.
Leeflyer

Postby steved on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 3:47 pm

Top quality pictures there. Fantastic.
steved

Return to 'Golden Oldies' Photos